The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default R&r 1967-68

I went on 2 R&Rs , One in country and one out of country. The In country was at Cam Rhan
There are 5 distinct things I remember about Cam Rhan,
1. I landed on a beach with my field gear and was met by a sgt who proceeded to tell me that, This stuff is not needed here. (Gun , Ammo, Grenades, Claymores, smoke, trip flares.)
So I gave him my stuff. I was standing there on the beach in fatigues only??????????
I went to my assigned (Barracks) and took a shower, I think they burned my Fatigues. New shinny pants and shirt and (Real underwear) I went to the mess hall.
2. The US Air force Mess, is the BEST mess I have ever been in Anywhere.
I walked in and seen a milk machine, and had a COLD glass of milk. I was in heaven.
I walked to the chow line and they asked me how I would like my steak cooked, What?????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????????????????????.
I finally told the guy to just knock the Mooo off and he served up this sizzling rib eye that I almost cried. The next guy says Fries or mashed. I'll take Fries 'Please' Next was the veggie. Corn on the cob, Mixed veggie’s, or peas. Corn on the cob . Bread/w butter and I went to my table and sat in a 'Chair'
I just looked at my tray for more than a min. After eating, I was soooooo full. I was going to take my try to somewhere and was told to just leave it. I walked out, all the time looking behind me.
3. I walked down to the beach and found this beach Bar, thing. I had a beer and sat there looking at the ocean, There was a speed boat and guys water skiing, sunset came and I walked back to the Barracks they assigned me.
I met a few guys and all they wanted was for me to tell them war stories.. Night time came and they had , "Lights Out" . About 2 hours latter, I was still just laying there looking at the springs above me and we get rocketed.
4. Everyone ran to a huge bunker and everyone in my barracks went in that bunker. I looked inside to see all those guys calling for me to come on in and turned and walked toward the beach.
5. I slept on the beach in front of that beach bar. around 3 am I seen a guy walking along the water edge and didn't think anything of it until next morning when I seen a Black flag at the waters edge. That meant a VC had been there.

Ahhh, R&R in Cam Rhan

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00226.JPG (61.1 KB, 11 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2009, 03:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Ron,

LOL! "Knock the MOO off", eh?

I guess that would be "rare"!

Sounds like that R & R was "Combat with a side of steak and milk".

Steve / 82Rigger
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:32 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Allway's good to be lucky ,Ron
Old 02-26-2009, 11:13 AM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 

Never took R&R. Decided to save my money to buy a car when I got back to the world. Besides, the thought of going to another Asian country unarmed didn`t sit well with me at the time. I also doubt that Tokyo or Bankok (or me) could contain my youthful exuberance. In other words, I felt safer in a free fire zone.

Peace,Griz
Old 02-26-2009, 12:07 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Same, same GI

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuloi View Post
Never took R&R. Decided to save my money to buy a car when I got back to the world. Besides, the thought of going to another Asian country unarmed didn`t sit well with me at the time. I also doubt that Tokyo or Bankok (or me) could contain my youthful exuberance. In other words, I felt safer in a free fire zone.

Me and you both Griz! I never went on RR either. Saved my $$$$$.

After me and uncle Sam parted ways, and a few more months of "saving" back in civilian life. I bought me a brand spanking new 1970 Pontiac GTO!

But it really never could replace the 1965 GTO I "totaled out" against a telephone pole in January of 67 shortly before I entered Uncle Sams' Army. Damn I miss that car! Fastest (and best lookin) car I ever owned.

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:07 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

Lucky was my middle name in VN.
I got the heal of my boot shot off
My canteen shot,
a mortar landed less than 6 feet from me, Just on the other side of a 4 foot high rock.
Bullets hit a tree I was leaning against.
I left Lang vei 2 days before it was over run
I stayed behind with 2 platoons of A company while C-D-A companies of the 173rd went up Hill 875.
I watched a bunch of really good guys from 101 and 4th get it at Duc Pho
A good friend got killed at Kontum as we CA'd in to help the 173rd.
Tam Ki was ambush heaven and I didn't get a scratch.
An Khe was a sweat and ambush our convoy at the pass. Me , Nothing.
I got off a Chinook at LZ Marry Lou and when the Chinook took off it crashed and killed all.
Hill 488, Had no name, We humped all night to get to the top. A huey picked us up an as we lifted off the huey took a RPG right in the engine. I was sitting right behind the pilot as he put both hands in the air. we were free falling to the bottom, about 100 feet off the bottom he pulled all pitch and we landed with a Thump and rolled right, breaking the door gunners leg. I jumped out, and proclaimed to the world, Ta-Dah. ( I meant to do that)
I was riding in a huey and we were coming in for a landing at a LZ, all of a sudden the Huey drops like a rock, we had lost a transmission at 10-15 feet off the deck. The huey bent both the out riggers and I stepped off and walked to the CP.
I was given at least 2 maybe 3 state of the art experimental equipment that most defiantly saved out ashes, 1. Kevlar vest. 2. Starlight scope, and 3. a inferred screen for a M-60.

Lucky, yea, I guess. I would most defiantly rather be lucky than good , any day

My second R&R was to Australia, (7 days) , I allllllmost didn't get back on that jet.

The 65 Goat would beat the 70, even the Judge. But my 69 428 super cobra jet Mach 1 would beat them both, and did , many times.

Ron
Old 02-26-2009, 03:33 PM

Distinctions

My friend, Bobby Mobilia bought a brand new `65 Impala SS Conv, 327 300 horse with a 4 speed. I got to see it when I was between basic and ait and told him to hold on to it till I got out. He had to sell it so my sister(rest her soul)bought it and resold it to me when I got home. Loved that car. Not as fast as the Goat or Mach1, but plenty quick for me. And it was a chick magnet.

Peace,Griz
Old 02-26-2009, 03:35 PM

Distinctions

PS
I think we all had our share of good luck or we wouldn`t be here.Welcome home!

Peace,Griz
Old 02-27-2009, 08:16 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default That's a big 10/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuloi View Post
PS
I think we all had our share of good luck or we wouldn`t be here.Welcome home!

What Griz said!

PS-------That 65 "goat" was a REAL "chick magnet" also!......Canary yellow with black rolled and pleated interior and Mickey Thompson 'mags' .....damn I miss that car!

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:51 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Ahhh,

if we only knew what our cars would have been worth now....plus that cars are now jelly-beans. I would have bought that Hemi-Cuda instead of the 340 Duster. I can say this though, that 340 Duster was the best car I've ever owned. 13:9's from the factory w/3:23 rear, buckets, 4-speed, (Hurst Mystery Shifter. It was a Mystery to find 2nd in a power shift, had to buy a Competition Plus), rally wheels...all for $2,800 bucks. My buddy paid 4K for a Hemi-Cuda, Plum Crazy Colored, that would be worth 1 Million today. I raced that car weekly on the street...it's how I made a living, and at the track almost every weekend, and only replaced a water pump, under warrenty. I had my favorite vehicles then, but now, would die to own any that we are talking about. GTO'S, BOSS 302, 429 COBRA JETS, SS CHEVY'S.....those were the days.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)