The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-24-2022, 01:23 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Exclamation Our Valiant United States History

1-24-2022

They Do Say That: “Those who forget their own national history, are often doomed to repeat it!” (And truer words have never been spoken!!)

For instance – I occasionally peruse the reference books in order to learn a little more about subjects that are of interest to me personally, and one of the people that I was able to locate in this effort was a gentleman by the name of “Captain Silas Talbot!”
Unknown to many people these days, “Captain Talbot” had been “The Skipper” of the eminently famous old frigate - “THE U.S.S. CONSTITUTION” back between 1799 and 1801!

And although there had been numerous commanders (in total) of ‘This Famous Old Lion of The Seas’, it still instills a lot of pride in me when I stop to consider those “American Heroes of Yore”, standing proudly upon the pitching decks of those old wooden ships, defending “OUR FLEDGLING NATION” and going toe to toe, against the greatest bastion of its time - The Mighty British Empire!

Now I have no direct knowledge (or even proof) of any archaic family ties with this “Captain Silas Talbot”, another one of “Those Brave and Staunch Americans” who added greatly to the lore about “Many An Iron-Man, Doing Battle Upon The Decks of Old Wooden Ships”, but I still take great pride in “Our Great American History” and in knowing that “Our Country” has, and will continue to produce, such gallant and courageous individuals!
“Continue To Stand Fast America!!”

Hardcore
Old 01-25-2022, 01:16 PM

Lightbulb Where did the term STAND FAST fast come from?

1. Where did the term STAND FAST fast come from? (It's been used in the military from what I recall).

1a. Also a rigid or unyielding position. [1710–20; n. use of v. phrase -stand fast] This word is first recorded in the period 1710–20.

2. What is stand fast in the military?

a. In artillery, the order at which all action on the position ceases immediately. Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms.

b. The Military also uses it as temporary cessation of all offensive actions; a temporary cease-fire; or truce: a stand-down for
the Christmas holidays.

3. What is stand down in WW1?

Stand-Downs - sometimes lasted between half an hour to an hour, after which each man would be ordered to stand down;
breakfast would follow in the morning. Stand-down also came to be referred to as "the morning hate", for self-evident reasons.

4. Contrary: What does the stand down order for the military mean?

Stand down means to go off duty or relax from a state of readiness, particularly in a military situation.

5. As a Civvy I found this regulation to have this meaning:

5a. Called: The General Fair Works Act - stand down provisions

Under section 524 of the Fair Work Act, an employer can stand down an employee without pay where they can't usefully be
employed because of a stoppage of work - for any cause - for which the employer can't reasonably be held responsible.

Now that last one - I've not heard of before - but - I thought it interesting enough to point out this regulation.
Does it still applies today? It may relate to being laid off? Here too if a Union is in place their may be other rules
that come into play (not sure)?

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote