Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Another One Bites The Dust!

###START###

Veterans: Alleged scam 'sad situation'

January 4, 2007

By Jim Hook Staff writer

dailysouthtown.com Member of the Chicago Sun-Times News Group

Adam probably told Eve that he planted the Garden of Eden.

"Since the beginning of time, men have lied to make themselves look macho," said Rick DeWolf, a disabled Vietnam War Army veteran and retired history teacher at Argo Community High School in Summit. "Guys lie, and guys brag.

"And they do it to make themselves look like heroes, usually for women. That's how it's always been."

Police on Wednesday were still trying to figure out why a 42-year-old Morris man allegedly lied about being a soldier in Iraq and bilked the Orland Fire Protection District -- where he served as a lieutenant -- of nearly $200,000 in salary and benefits.

Lawrence Masa was charged with felony theft and official misconduct, officials said. If convicted, Masa could face up to 15 years in prison.

DeWolf said Masa isn't the first, nor will he be the last, person to misrepresent his or her military record.

Early Western movie star "Tom Mix lied and said he was in the Spanish-American War," DeWolf said.

"A Major League Baseball manager in the 1990s got fired for misrepresenting his military service.

"I even had a colleague at Argo High School who lied about his service in Vietnam.

He said he can tell within minutes when guys lie about their military service.

"I ask them about the little things, like the daily malaria pills we took," DeWolf said. "And the thing about those who lie about their service, they are always the ones who were the Army Rangers or Navy SEALs.

"No one ever was a cook," he said. "I guess the other jobs make for better stories."

DeWolf, who received the Purple Heart among his four combat medals, said he has seen men wearing uniforms with chests full of medals and ribbons. The uniform and medals were bought at a military supply store.

He says the government should enact tougher penalties for those who pretend to be soldiers.

"Lying about being in the military is the worst thing you can do," DeWolf said. "Our cemeteries are filled with men and women who served their country with dignity and honor."

Cathy Clarke, of Tinley Park, whose son Kevin was killed in combat in Iraq nearly two years ago, called what Masa did "pretty low."

"That's a sad situation what he did," Clarke said. "I'd say he has some self-esteem issues.

"I just hope that stories like this don't discourage people from supporting our troops. They need our support."

Frank Mulcahy, a Vietnam-era Marine veteran, said Masa deserves to spend some time in prison.

"That would certainly teach him a lesson," said Mulcahy, of Tinley Park. "Then, when he gets out of prison, let him go to Iraq and fight alongside the real soldiers in the war on terror."

Army veteran Al Lynch, of Gurnee, who received the Medal of Honor -- the military's highest honor -- said "there isn't a jail bad enough for someone like that."

"There definitely should be some demonstrative punishment for what he did," said Lynch, one of about 150 Medal of Honor recipients still living. Most Medal of Honor recipients are honored posthumously.

Lynch served in Vietnam.

"Some people start embellishing military careers because they hang out with guys who really did serve, and they get caught up in the moment," he said. "Others do it maliciously.

"They do it to scam others financially. Either way, it's wrong and should be punished."

Jim Hook may be reached at
jhook@dailysouthtown.com
or (708) 633-5961.

###END###

Leavenworth is too good for this jerk!

They ought to drop this guy in the middle of An Bar Province with a BB gun!

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2007, 12:56 PM

Gimpy

I went to school with Al Lynch. When I heard about his MOH issuance and was quite taken back by it. He was always the tall quite guy with very little to say. Those are the guys you never know about.

I agree with the wannabee issues- but the ones I really like to catch are the ones who went North - got a presidential parden and come back and discuss the war like they were there. Now those are the guys I'd like to slap to sleep.

All we can do is let the system and those who were really there catch the wannabees and it will take care of itself.

As for Al Lynch now there was a hero but like AL there were many others who served and did their duty. I'm sure this issue will go on for some time yet - but let's not loose any sleep over it - I know I won't.

God bless America and all those who've served our Nation.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 01-05-2007, 03:01 PM

That was probably the worst written newspaper article I have read in a long time and my local newspaper is at the head of the list. Lots of interviews with folks who had an interest and wanted to talk to a reporter but no details on what Masa is alleged to have done.

Guess this reporter doesn't know where the police blotter is or doesn't have any contacts in the police department or DA's office.

Pretty shabby reporting.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:29 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

I would put them in stocks out on the public square with a sign saying "I lied about military service and this is my punishment and then place a bucket of rotten fruit (in front) for all who served or survivors of those who served to throw at them till sundown, then they would serve their time at Leavenworth till they were old and frail.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:42 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Can't much more to what has been said so far other than, they have to live with the shame of lying like that.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).