The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Warfare > Warfare

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-24-2022, 12:59 PM

Arrow It’s Time to Base Fifth-Gen Fighter Jets on Guam, INDOPACOM Chief Says

It’s Time to Base Fifth-Gen Fighter Jets on Guam, INDOPACOM Chief Says
By: Elizabeth Howe - Defense One 06-24-22
Re: https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2...f-says/368598/

[China’s buildup means F-35s or F-22s should do more than exercise from the Pacific island, Aquilino said.]

The U.S. should permanently station fifth-generation combat jets on Guam to counter China’s increasing military capability, the leader of U.S. Indo-Pacific Command said Friday.

“What we are seeing, from my seat, is the largest military buildup in history since WWII,” Adm. John Aquilino said at a Foundation for Defense of Democracies event Friday.

F-35s have operated from the island’s Austere Airfield since last year, but only on a temporary basis scheduled around key exercises. Aquilino says having fifth-generation aircraft—whether that be F-35s or F-22s—permanently stationed in the theater is “critically important to the ability to deliver deterrence.”

The U.S. military presence on the Pacific island is already “extremely important,” the admiral said.

“Guam is absolutely a strategic location. We will need to operate from Guam, we will need to both fight for and from Guam, and it will provide a variety of capabilities and support functions should we end up in some crisis situation,” Aquilino said.

One thing the island currently lacks is enough missile defenses, he said, reiterating a long-time INDOPACOM concern. Comprehensive missile defense for Guam has been the command’s top funding priority for nearly four years. In May, the Missile Defense Agency said it hopes to build an integrated missile defense command-and-control center on the island.

“The [Chinese military] rocket forces are clearly developing continuous advanced capabilities and longer range. Guam has a 360-degree threat so our ability to defend it, and to be able to operate from there is absolutely critical,” Aquilino said.

Now, Aquilino says, fifth-generation aircraft will need to be defended too—as well as the infrastructure, service members, and supply chains needed to maintain those capabilities.

“To do this, it will take the entire joint force,” Aquilino said.

The F-35, which can operate as a stealthy attack fighter, reconnaissance aircraft, and even a command-and-control platform for autonomous wingmen, is key to going up against a potential adversary like China, he said.

“We are continuing to work on ways to ensure that our [communications and command and control] is resilient. We expect to be attacked in that domain and we have to put in place the structure and the formations that allow us to command and control no matter where we are, whether it's inside the first island chain, outside the first island chain, all the way back to headquarters. So this view of being able to deliver a picture across a node of nodes is the approach we're taking and I'm confident we can do,” he said.

Aquilino discussed how the Pacific Air Forces are experimenting with a new approach to operations called Agile Combat Employment or ACE, which is meant to allow rapid shifts from base to base as a battle develops.

“The concept makes the force more survivable. You combine that with some offenses and now we have an airborne capability that can deliver dilemmas from anywhere,” he said.

The Defense Department’s proposed 2023 budget includes funding for “delivering capabilities” to Guam and nearby strategic headquarters, including nearly $1 billion to develop the island’s missile defenses, Aquilino said.

​​”So the key is to take tremendous effort and the budget and then move forward to deliver that capability against all those threats,” he said.

To be note: Patrick Tucker contributed to this post.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personal note: National Defense is getting out of control. You would think a little
parley was needed to slow down the elements wanting to take us out. Find a
way to negotiate find some restraints on all sides. Your bankrupting the system
as well as adding to the issues causing all these military actions . You are
supposed to be diplomats - work with the other guys to lessen their aggressions.
We move troops all over the place - why not let the local countries take care of
their own boundaries as they should.
-
Big Brother will be a dead one - the way were going! Be a diplomat not so much
an agressor (you think because you can & its why you do it). Mediate - converse
- find a medium - that meets all parties.
-
We seem to be a threat to them all - and inturn they will respond as they
have been.
-
You've invested way too many dollars on issues - that we should never have
gotten involved with - and/or - nor have you gotten any resolved.
-
Do your duties as a diplomat don't rival the contestants. Such as Our way
or the Highway response - or better yet his way - with some compromise?
Parley - is your job - work around the issues - find the happy medium.
Thereby saving lives and hardships later.
-
You're playing HARDBALL - ever get hit by a hardball - it hurts. The same
applies when we bully our aggressors. Compromise - scale down - start
slowly - try not to induce treats - even if compliance falls through at first.
-
Review your facts - their facts - look for a comprise when at all else
fails - as anything is possible - but you have to compromise as needed.
At least at the beginning - to see what - if anything needs tweeking?
-
I've been on the hardball side a few times - it isn't pleasant. What
could I've done differently - or maybe my approach needed more
time to consider any consquences.
-
But who am I - a VN Vet - A Certifed Rotating Mechanical Engineer.
I've seen failures and we go back and tear it all down - and
make alterations at our cost - not theirs. The same priniciple
applies to all applications with complicated and costly side-effects
if handled inappropriately. I've saved many clients over the years
from upsetting issues that took awhile to get resolved - but we
did it - together. We became his one and only supplier from
that point on - as they knew - we would make it right - and
both would learn from any cause and the effects of mechanical
issues with complex variables - much like it should be in our
politics. But two sides have to work together - or it won't
work at all!
-
Our equipment is all over the world and I was selected
by our clients to send Wayne and nobody else on several
request. I've trained hundreds of field people on several
typs of equipment failures. Armstrong World Industries
sent me to all their plants around the world.
-
My last assignements had me working on molten salt
solar energy systems/operations.
-
A Very Dangerous Application.
-
I traveled with my old company all across the globe.
I also worked in Jeda Saudi Arabia for nine months.
For Gray McKensie Ltd - London, England. At
a new port they were building. Very hot there!
-
77 now - old dirt - but the head still works.
I miss working but with a sick wife and me
getting mileage - I had to call it quits.
-

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links