The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-13-2005, 11:28 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default 13MAY67

Two days before, as part of the newly formed Task Force Oregon, 2/502 [me] and 1/327, 101st Abn. Div., do a CA into the mountains west of Duc Pho, kicking off Operation Malheur I. The next day 2/327 CAs in as a blocking force. Our mission was to do a Search and Destroy on the VC/NVA forces, and to locate and neutralize their basecamps. These mountains are a long time stronghold. We make contact almost immediately.

On 13MAY67 my company is moved to another area by helicoptor. The LZ is a small one and can only take 2-3 choppers at a time. I'm on the 2nd chopper. The first 2 bring us in and hovers about 5' off the ground, and we jump off. As the 2 choppers lifts off and the 3rd one starts to come in, Charlie opens up on us and the chopper. We rush the tree line trying to get to cover and to secure the LZ. The chopper is brought down by small arms fire with a crash. I don't know how far it fell; I was pretty busy. After a short, fierce gunfight, and with the help of the door gunners on the choppers, Charlie breaks contact.

In the initial attack, two of us guys on the ground were wounded. The guys on the chopper are banged up pretty good; a couple of them seriously. In fact, there's one KIA on the chopper. I don't remember if he died from the crash or from a GSW. He was PFC Carl Konopa, a Navajo [?] from AZ. He'd been with the company 8-9mos.. He was 18yrs. old.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:56 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Bringing this forward through all the Timelines. He deserves to be remembered.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:46 PM
Doc.2/47

Roger that!
Old 05-14-2005, 01:54 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

He really and truly does
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 06:36 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default "And I was there..."

I was a cherry in A Company (Abu Company) 1st/327 on that day. I'd come in as a replacement in a platoon that had gotten pretty well wiped out on Mother's Day Hill the previous week.
There was about 8 cherries and about 6 older guys
This was not all that much a confidence builder for yours truly. I didn;t see it as a blessing then but I had had a lot of extra jungle training in Panama and just started using pretty much what I was taught there. The older guys were too shell shocked to do much but curse at the newbies.
I remember my first CA--we got on the ground and ran for the treeline. I heard firing but couldn't see anything--don't even know what I expected to see.
That was the most confusing part for me--figuring out what to do. I sure didn't want to shoot any of our own people and, as far as I know, never did. But fuck all the guys who liked to spray rounds indiscriminately--wastes ammo, gives away your position, hits your own people. I'd only fire if I could SEE the fcker or was THAT sure, for sure. And most of the time, I couldn't see much. And I wasn't all that sure about much
These were my days as a rifleman in the 327
I had a squad leader who had it in for whites (gimme an up here, Dan) he made a miserable life more miserable, gave the white guys all the shit details while he and his buddies laughed. I wound up clocking his best friend (who'd threatened to kill me) and then telling him ( the sq ldr) exactly what I thought of him, in no uncertain words, before I left that unit, one of the prouder moments of the war for me yet. I only wish I'd kicked his as too.
After the 327, Recondo school was a breeze.
Being a lrrp was more dangerous in some ways but at least you'd get days off--something I never got in the 327.
Stay good
James

PS: theyre still calling it Abu Company, a WWII name: http://screamingeagles-327thvietnam....327_photos.htm
Old 05-15-2005, 10:12 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 

You`re right,Tom.Knew I recognized that as I read it.We`ll never forget...

Peace,Griz
Old 05-16-2005, 05:09 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

If you are captured I will come for you. If you are wounded I will carry you. And if you are killed I will always remember you. Thanks for remembering ... and being there
Old 05-16-2005, 06:52 AM

It's amazing how well the memories flood back isn't it. That's why we can't forget. I also heard our gal made a stunning comeback on here newest movie this weekend. You all know whom I'm talk'en about .

God Rest all ye merry men and you too ladies!

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 05-16-2005, 09:30 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Thanks Frisco for bringing this up. I think you and me talked about this on the phone the other day. Forgot to ask Dan if he was also involved, knew James was and think Dan got there not long after James.

Thanks so much for getting us to remember men such as these.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)