The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-12-2005, 09:20 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Bahrain or Bust?

Hey ya'll, there is a possiblility that Deb and I may be headed for the Desert. There is a chance we could be going to Bahrain Island for two years to continue the work we do here. Lots of monetary, (that's money to you Marines out there), reasons to do this and could kick up my retirement to just 2 years after we return. The Command Master Chief, (same same SGTMAJ to us Doggie types), says that it will be great duty for us and the time will go fast. He's been there and loved it and all the other Sailors I've talked with that have been there want to go back.

It is considered in the "Hot Zone", and they don't mean temperature so we get a bunch of the same same bennies that the military gets including all our pay will be tax free. We get an extra 120 hours of leave a year and a free 2 week R&R back to the states. Non chargable 2 week leave that is with expenses paid to here. I would also get return rights back to this hospital to finish up my career.

I've been told that the summers there are like living in a microwave oven, but so can Beaufort summers. I know it's hotter there but hey, that's why we have air conditioning.

There are other bennies, like a huge rage, living expenses, ect. but right now we are just waiting to hear. Being this is the US GUVMENT, I don't expect to hear anytime soon.

Keep ya posted, and if any of ya'll have been there, like Seascamp or other Navy types, let me know.

CAMELBORNE!

Ali-Haji-Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2005, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

That is were everyone went for R&R back in '91.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:43 AM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Paco...in 91 I know they made that into a big R & R center for the troops. Heard stories of it being like Vegas, a place the Sheiks go to play. Supposed to be pretty "Westernized". Never made it myself.

If it is anything like Saudi, you can buy any type of firearm known to man. Get two of each for all that are going, would hate to see you on the news "loosing" your mind!

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 05-12-2005, 09:44 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Ok....Heres the game plan....You tell us when you're leaving and we all show up at your place for one hell of a 3 day sendoff
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 05-12-2005, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

I never made it over there either. A couple GI's got shot standing in a line during their R&R so I decided that's bad R&R and gave mine up. Everyone that went brought back a lot of gold jewelry.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:27 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Hope not to make the Al-Jazeer newsreel.

Everything I've heard so far is great....if you gotta be in a Desert.

Bob.....sounds good to me! To make it easier I'll ask for a shipping date the week after Psyco Mtn. If that won't work....well, ya'll come to Beaufort!

Ali

Old 05-12-2005, 11:08 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I'll be there
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 05-12-2005, 12:20 PM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Paco...you will just have to schedule your leave to include a trip to Psyco Mountain each year!

Otherwise, would love to be at the send off party!

Trav

P.S. What are they going to do with a Pollock in the desert?

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 05-12-2005, 04:37 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

THAT'S HONORARY POLLOCK YOU BRAUT EATING KRAUT! (Hmmm, hororary Pollock.....what the hell kindof honor is that????)

I will say this my German, Nazi, boil infested, friend, you have a great idea about timing my R&R with Psyco Mtn. That could be a winner! (or weiner to you Yankee types) I will ask you this, though, what's the problem with you comin' South twice in a year??? Afraid you might like it?

Bob, unlike Travis, great to hear you WILL be here! Nice to know you won't explode if you come South twice.

"Look forward.....Look South!"

Ali-Packo

Old 05-12-2005, 05:16 PM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Paco...you are forgetting, I was raised in the South, I am a "Damn Southern" (guy from the South that moved North).

My thought plan was this, Not sure if the South, North, East or West or the world in general could handle all of us getting together for two big weekend blow outs in a short time, hence the fact that the East Coast and West Coast campouts are planned six months apart. Not sure what would happen to Darwins theory or the population in general should we start throwing another blast in the middle.

What ever happens, happens, I'm in!

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!