The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Spanish American

Post New Thread  Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Senior Member

Join Date: May 2002
Location: Ozarks
Posts: 4,632
Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Default Nara

This is the link to National Archives Records Administration (aka, where our government keeps all available veteran documents):

Next of kin can ask for and receive all existing records of a veteran's service, and their medals if still available.

The person requesting will need either a Social Security number, or the military service number for 1stSgt Heister. They will also need to know his EXACT place and date of birth and death (many family members do not actually know these things precisely).

If necessary, go here to find his SSN:

When it comes the moment, in filling out their online or hard copy form, to specify what records are requested, it has been found beneficial to use these exact words (not fewer, not more):

“I am seeking all official pages of the official military personnel file and and supplemental pages reflecting service schooling, education, air/sea travel, duty assignments, weapons qualification, special equipment or skill qualifications, awards, medals, decorations and commendations, combat service and injuries and all other military service related entries including medical records and any and all Performance Evaluation Fitness reports.”

They will only provide what is requested. So, if one were to request, for example, "All military service records", NARA would have no clue what was being asked for. Many people make this mistake and are lucky to get a copy of the discharge papers.

It can take some time, and may require more than one request. It may also cost a little money if a hand search must be completed to provide and copy the records.

It is worth the effort, and is really the best way to know what 1stSgt Heister did in the Army. Be mindful, clerical errors are not uncommon.

Missouri State Coordinator
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2012, 10:19 AM
Tamaroa's Avatar
Tamaroa Tamaroa is offline
Senior Member

Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Lower New York State
Posts: 635

National Archives and Records Administration. Its been a while since I did it, but there used to be a form NATF-80 that you could fill out and get the soldier's service record and pension files as well. You have a enough information for them to narrow the search fairly quickly. You might be able to get them from DC, that;;s where the Civil War records are. You need to fill out two forms to get both the military records and the pension files. On the form is a space for you to write your mastercard or visa number. It usually takes 6 to 8 weeks to get the records.


"Zounds! I was never so bethumped with words."

King John 2.1.466
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Eugene Police Shooting Of Army Veteran Was Lawful, DA Says - OPB News The Patriot Army 0 12-29-2010 09:25 AM
Eugene Thomas Cunningham, USAAF BLUEHAWK Veterans Memorials 0 12-08-2010 09:47 AM
Eugene-based Marines say 'Go Ducks!' from Afghanistan - KATU The Patriot Marine Corps 0 09-10-2010 12:27 AM
Eugene-based Marines say 'Go Ducks!' from Afghanistan - KVAL The Patriot Marine Corps 0 09-08-2010 06:27 PM
Eugene Robinson: Clear skies key to successful oil cleanup - RocNow The Patriot Coast Guard 0 08-11-2010 02:28 AM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.