Old 04-26-2002, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default E-10 - Let's Hear It!

KOOL

Registered to :Sep 27, 2001
Posted 02-10-2001 at 18:38
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DOD is kicking around the idea of creating an additional rank of E-10. Now is your chance to help them out. What will the title be? I'll start it off:
Super Chief - USN/USCG
Super Sergeant - USA/USMC/USAF

SUPER SALT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Profile Qoute
David

Registered to :Aug 21, 2001
Posted 02-10-2001 at 22:45
When I was in basic I went to a building one day to clean it up. I saw a big board with all of the rank patches and noticed spc5 and up. I asked about it and found out they had eliminated those ranks some time back. I always wished they had kept those as I was technically minded but could do without herding troops around all day as an NCO. I guess those ranks were absorbed by the warrants. E10 sounds like a great idea. I am for anything that gives an enlisted member a better retirement check

Profile www Qoute
KOOL

Posted 06-10-2001 at 10:40
Here are two more suggestions:
Chiefissimo
Sargissimo
-----------------
ANCHOR CLANKER

Profile Qoute
TheOldSarge

Registered to :Aug 30, 2001
Posted 30-10-2001 at 16:47
This is nothing new. They were kicking this around before I retired ... I seem to remember something about it way back in the lmid-80s.

Lets face it ... the only reason we would need an E-10 rank is because DOD wants some way to promote folks beyond what is available. Why would they need to do that? Because the enlisted ranks are already top-heavy? Because too many have been promoted to E-8 and E-9? Think about it.

The Old Sarge

Profile Qoute
TheOldSarge

Registered to :Aug 30, 2001
Posted 30-10-2001 at 16:48
This is nothing new. They were kicking this around before I retired ... I seem to remember something about it way back in the lmid-80s.

Lets face it ... the only reason we would need an E-10 rank is because DOD wants some way to promote folks beyond what is available. Why would they need to do that? Because the enlisted ranks are already top-heavy? Because too many have been promoted to E-8 and E-9? Think about it.

The Old Sarge
-----------------
Freedom comes with a price. It often demands payment in blood.

Profile Qoute
KOOL

Posted 31-10-2001 at 14:43
In the mid 80s they did get top heavy and forced out all enlisteds with over 30 years. Then they set time-in-service limits based on rank and that has changed over the years. Retention appears to be the motivating factor.
Having nine ranks is too much. Why not just five: recruit, private, corporal, sergeant, and first sergeant or sergeant major?
This last promotion cycle saw the largest number of E-7s ever, service wide, and this is the rank most enlisteds have when they retire. The services may just be getting top heavy again but I'm not convinced that adding another rank will solve it.
-----------------
ANCHOR CLANKER

Profile Qoute
SgtBlake

Registered to :Oct 18, 2001
Posted 31-10-2001 at 15:39
Marines already have a E-10 he's called the SgtMajor of the Marine Corps.

-----------------
Sgt G.A. Blake, MARINE, The Title says it all.

Profile www Qoute
KOOL

Posted 01-11-2001 at 22:37
You're right but there is only one E-10 per service. DOD is considering E-10 across the board.
-----------------
ANCHOR CLANKER

Profile Qoute
SgtBlake

Registered to :Oct 18, 2001
Posted 02-11-2001 at 10:05
What purpose would that serve?
-----------------
Sgt G.A. Blake, MARINE, The Title says it all.

Profile www Qoute
KOOL

Posted 02-11-2001 at 22:39
I really don't know what DOD has in mind.
The only advantage I can see is money. It would pay more than E-9 and have a higher retirement income.
-----------------
ANCHOR CLANKER

Profile Qoute
ABN_CIB

Registered to :Aug 28, 2001
Posted 07-01-2002 at 12:28
Well, it's been my experience that most NCOs were pretty braindead by the time they made E-9, add another pay grade and you'll have to prop them up in their chairs and wheel them around the police call area.

Not only should they not create a new rank, they should do away with MSG and SGM, too. If you're not a leader, you shouldn't be promoted.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2002, 07:44 PM

Smile

When I joined the Navy the highest rank was E-7. E-8's and E-9s were to take the place of warrant officers. This only happened in the Air Force. I saw the Navy Chiefs (E-7's) assume duties of the E-6 and the E-6 of the E-5. Therefore I do not think an E-10 is a good idea. If anything do away with 8's and 9's.
Old 07-02-2002, 01:05 PM

Default I would imgine that

it's for the Command Sgt. Major of the Army, Airforce, Marine Corps and The Command Master Chief Petty officer of the Navy and Coast Guard. (One for each service) to compensate them for the added personal expenses and responsibilities that go with the office they hold. I can't see more than one per service branch.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:26 PM
Robert J Ryan

Maybe E-10 could be Sergeant Major of the Army, Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy, and Coast Guard, Sergeanat Major of the Marine Corps, and Cheif Master Sergeant of the Airforce.