The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Civil War

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-19-2004, 05:20 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

I agree Son of Morning Star was excellent. I also agree that he was an arrogant Jerk. There is even a rumor going around that he fathered an Indian girl. I ran across a Custer Discussion board on Delphiforums once. Had some very interesting things to say, none of them very complimentary about Custer.

BD

King John 2.1.466
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2004, 08:24 AM

Hello,
Thanks for the recomendations...next step finish current book and get the new ones. On Custer the problem I've been having with him throughout my life actually is everyone I come into contact with praises him. Obviously he was a dirtbag awesome cavlrymen but that that. On the flip side can anyone say wheather or not the stories of his brother being 20 times a better leader, fighter, and rider true or not. There are many i guess legends out here about them two but don't really know if they are true or not.

Example: At little big horn when the men were surrounded custer's brother basically says "F this" and ignores any thought of surrender or anything and begins to charge the indians alone unarmed.

Its things like that that make me want to get books on the two. My theory is if your interesting enough to have that many stories about you you had to be interesting to begin with.
thanks
greg
Old 03-19-2004, 08:50 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Custer

Tom Custer holds the distinction of being awarded the MOH twice during the Civil War. The only double recipient of the medal. I'd really like to learn more about him.

Bill

PS Here is a Forum I lurked in before:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/Custer1876/start

King John 2.1.466
Old 03-19-2004, 09:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Just a thought

From time to time I have wanted to post something relative to the Indian Wars, but didn't know where to put it.

Don't know if we would have enough activity to justify creating an Indian Wars forum.

David?

Steve / 82Rigger
Old 03-19-2004, 11:04 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Ayup (old timey Marine saying), I'D like to see an Indian Wars forum too

Know what bothers me about criticizing Custer?

That his fabled cavalry unit might be besmirched... can't let myself risk that. I know, I know, there are competent and incompetent O's in every unit... Custer just stood out quite a bit in retrospect.

Tamaroa Bill!
- What does the literature say, if anything, maybe from the correspondence of the troopers (?) about how THEY saw Custer's officership?
- As a Civil War O, WAS his leadership worthy of the fast track promotions he got, in YOUR opinion? Or, were the Yanks so desperate that they'd have elevated a man who'd commit his grounders to suicide?
Old 03-19-2004, 11:22 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Generals and such

David was kind enough to set one for me last year. In fact, I posted about the Battle at the Little Big Horn there. Go to Forums: 19th Century: Other Conflicts.

As far as Generals and their worth in the Civil war, we could talk forever. However, I will not bore you to tears. There were many many young Generals on both sides. Custer did not have the only fast track to the war. Galusha Pennypacker of the 97th Pennsylvania was the youngest general in either army. Robert E. Lee's son was a General at the age of 24. There were a lot of senior colonels in their very early 20's. There is a two volume work out called Generals in Blue and Generals in Gray that give a short biographical sketch of anyone who was congressionally approved to be a General.

You can also page through Mark Boatner's Civil War Dictionary and check out the biographies of everybody he lists.

Custer was aggressive at an early age and that caught the attention of his senior officers. He also fought well at Brandy Station and of course blocked Stuart on Day three of Gettysburg.
He was good but there were a whole flock of good young officers recently graduated from West Point.

Bill

King John 2.1.466
Old 03-20-2004, 06:51 AM

Another good book is "Custer and Crazy Horse". It paralells both their lives to the meeting at LBH. Most of the troops did not like Custer. He established harsh rules and harsher punishment. No drinking for the troopers, and he tied them to a wheel or hitching rail for drinking. On patrols, the troops would shot at him, 1970s version of "fragging". Troops shot Lt. Hamiltion by mistake on one patrol. Lt. Hamiltion was the grandson of Alexander Hamilton.
Old 03-20-2004, 07:07 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Hamilton's

What a bummer. The kid got shot because of the dislike of Custer. Custer doesn't taste that bad?

When I was working as a medic. I went on a medic call to a small furniture factory.

A nineteen year old kid had cut his index finger off in a saw. They had this big bin of saw dust. They sucked up all the saw dust up from all the machines. We had firemen combing through that stuff for hours,

His name: Alexander Hamilton.

I thought it was a joke but it was his given name. I said, Well at least he didn't get shot.

A year or so later, he was in a car wreck, can't remember the extent of his injuries but he was banged up pretty bad.

I told him: "get rid of that name, its bad luck."

Keith
Old 03-31-2004, 05:15 AM

Keith...that book is called "Son of the Morning Star". I have a copy.