The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Veterans > Veterans Memorials

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-02-2003, 07:59 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Jungle Issue Hammocks

Of course they were issued by the North Vietnamese Army,the trick to this is getting them without getting got yourself.They were light and small(about the size of a softball) and fast to put up.Since the sun is directly overhead I assume we are on break to dry our feet(feet in air and drying socks on branch's).William Sadler and Roddy Hopkins(Hoppy) taking it easy.Middle of day the heat soars and we try to get out of it for a few hours.
Old 11-02-2003, 08:19 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Stars and Stripes or all the info you need to know.

This was taken at a night defensive position and looks like the Stars and Stripes newspaper just arrived,notice it's in 3 pieces now.From left to right Philip Baker,William Sadler,Selah Montgomery and Mike Walsh.When it gets darker they will stretch out the sleeping hootch.Stars and Stripes was the official newspaper of all US Forces.If it wasn't in there it didn't happen.
Old 11-02-2003, 08:36 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Christmas Shorts 1969

Jerry Argo(Charlotte,NC) received a pair of Christmas shorts(with little faces of Santa) from his wife back home.I had to get him in a photo with them on because shortly after that they were torn into cleaning rags and we all cleaned our weapons.So much for the Christmas spirit.December 1969.Jerry still lives in Charlotte and has worked for Duke Power Co for many years.
Old 11-02-2003, 08:48 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default The only way to travel

Taken of Paul Foster before he started carrying Battalion radio.We were being dropped off somewhere,to long ago to remember.Paul lives in Riverside,Ca and works for Exxon Corp.
Old 11-02-2003, 09:02 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Private First Class Mack Gatewood 1969

reckon Mack was dreaming about being a 1stSGT?
Old 11-02-2003, 09:20 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Picked up in a patrol

Platoon coming off of patrol,must have picked up this guy on sweep.Roman(Guam)Castro has boots and rolled up pants standing to right.
Old 11-02-2003, 11:11 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Shortimers Stroll

Ten days before I was to rotate home I was sent to the rear.I was a oldtimer and all oldtimers do are take showers,go to the beach,take shower,eat and go back to beach,take shower,drink some beer,take shower.Left Vietnam Sept 11,1970 on a American Airlines bound for Japan and McCord Air Force Base,Tacoma,Washington.I spent a full tour with Delta Company"Black Death"3/21st 196th Light Infantry Brigade 23rd Infantry Division Vietnam.I was awarded the Combat Infantry Badge,Bronze Star with"V"Device,and Purple Heart.I went over there to fight the battle for Mom,the USA and apple pie but after I got there the fight changed to a battle for Sadler,Gatewood,Baker,and everyone else who was left standing near me.I fought for them and they fought for me.When you are put in this position friends are about all you got.Not all of us made it back and some of us came back in pretty bad shape.I am proud that I served and hope that I did a good job.I hope you have enjoyed the photo's and maybe even learned something for them.My hat goes off now to all the guys who supported me,without you guys working your ass off,my ass would have been left dangling.From guys loading ammo at Danang,to the guys fueling F-4's off the coast and to the guys training Air Crews,"Thanks Brothers, couldn't have done it without ya"
Old 11-03-2003, 05:18 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Welcome home Danny. What a wonderful and informative post this has been. Thank you - thank all you brothers in arms. God bless us one and all.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 07:11 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default This is the best

Post I have read on the PF, Talk about preserving history. It dosen't get any better than this. Thanks Danny.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:38 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

"and to the guys training air crews..."

Thanks Danny, a lot.

It's the best Welcome Home I've ever got.

It was you and yours of whom we were thinking, constantly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bunk house.jpg (77.5 KB, 50 views)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote