The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-21-2005, 05:59 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Population 485

If you want a real good read I recommend the book Trav sent me--Population 485 by Michael Perry. I think you'd especially enjoy it, Ron
Its about a volunterer fireman in a small town, which is why Trav sent it to me, self being a volunteer fireman. This really made me look at my own self and my motivations. I guess, when it comes down to it, I'm an adventure junkie. I like to be up against it, the narrow escape
I was struck by the phraseology and it reminded me so much of the people I was with in Vietnam, especially the lrrps, but all paratroopers--theyre all crazy, its time the truth came out!
"We were, for the most part, just young men in uniform, learning how to operate cooly at the nexus of dramatic events!" Well I could never put it better than that!
"what you are given is a series of opportunities to prove your ingenuity and gumption." Took the words right out of my mouth!
he echoes what I learned in the NAm--It doesn't matter how good you get,youre always winging it!! Making it up as you go along, there's no formula or algorithym thats going to get you through it. Just cover your ass first!
Life: its just all about showing up and then whatever happens, happens
Thanks Trav!!
Stay good, all
James