The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-15-2005, 05:20 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default I field force

Pronounced EYE , I field force vietnam . I can remember being attached to I field force with the 101 and 173. Doing operations in and around Dak To, Kontum and hue. I was going through some old pictures and one of them said I field force on it which made me remember. Have you heard of I field force.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2005, 05:45 PM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default First field force

Been there, and II Field Force (Two field force).
Old 12-15-2005, 10:45 PM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Seems I can not find where the 4th was ever any where near Hue. You must have been special.

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 03:15 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Catman

If you can't find it that means I was never there , ok, I was never there.

Ron
Old 12-16-2005, 06:25 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default II Field Force

Don't know about I Field Force but because I was in II Field Force, I suspected there was a I Field Force.
Was there a III and IV Field FORces also? Did this correspond with I Corps, II Corps, etc?.
I never actually figured out what this all meant: I mean I was in II Corps in II Field Force iin the MACV LRRPS attached to the 4th Div. Seems like a whole lot of supervision for one little lrrp. Needless to say none of these people ever went on patrol withh me.
Was there actually a seperate comand called I & II (And III And IV?) Firld Forces? Was this a unified command over the units in the area? OR just another layer of military bureaucracy to ignore?
Still trying to figure it all out
Stay good
James
Old 12-16-2005, 06:37 AM

And, how did XXIV Corps fit in to it all???
Old 12-16-2005, 06:50 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default James Advisor,

You know I only ever hear of eye Field force. I'll look into it.
I do know that eye field force was in eye corps and ll corps.
I'll get back to you.
Ron
Old 12-16-2005, 07:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to Bill Farnie
Distinctions
VOM 

It is very confusing because the Field Forces designations had nothing to do with the South Vietnamese Corp designations as far as the numerals go. I Field Forces was in II Corp and II Field Forces was in III Corp. They were named this way for MACV thought that it would be too confusing to have the same name for the South Vietnamese Corp designations. There was no IV Field Forces and before XXIV took over the responsibility of I Corp it was under the control of the commanding general of the III Marine Amphibious Force until the Marines started to pullout in 1970 and then XXIV Corp took over the responsibility for I Corp units.

When the 3rd Brigade 101st was in III Corp, while the rest of the division was in I Corp, we were under II Field Forces command.

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 07:34 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default James

Field Forces
Field force was the designation used during most of the Vietnam war to classify US military corps level tactical control headquarters. Boy that?s a mouth full. There are 2 field force designation . Eye field force and ll field force.
When these units were deployed to Vietnam in 1966 the decision was made not to use US corps designations , Later, in 1968 when XXIV corps was formed the decision was reversed. Unlike a Corps headquarters, which has only tactical functions, the field force organization was more flexible and could handle additional responsibilities, including supply, pacification, and advisory roles.
Eye field force , originally called Task force Alpha, arrived in Vietnam in 1966 and provided combat assistance to south Vietnamese Army?s ll corps and to control US military operations in Central Highlands. Headquartered at Nha Trang it was redesignated eye field force Vietnam, a corps level headquarters
Its assigned units were , 41st and 52nd Artillery,
Attached to eye field force at one time or another for specific combat operations were, 1st Cav (airmobile) 4th inf div,3rd brigade, 25th inf div, 101 airborne airmobile, and the 173 airborne

II field force arrive in Vietnam in 1966 , was headquartered in Bien Hoa. It provided combat assistance to south Vietnamese Army in III and IV corps its units 1st and 2nd armored divisions, 23 and 54th artillery, attached to it at one time or another for specific combat operations were, 1st inf, 1st Cav (airmobile), 9th inf, 25th inf, 101 airborne airmobile, 82nd airborne, 173rd airborne, and 11th armored Cav.
This is like way to much writing for me, If you like I?ll look up XXIV corps later.

Ron
Old 12-16-2005, 07:55 AM
Robert J Ryan

Ron I don't know when you were with the 4th ID, I was with the 4th from March 1969 to March 1970, C-1/22 Inf but remember seeing the I Field Force Patch in some of the area's we were in. Especially Konthum area. But I can't remember if our unit was attached to them or not.