Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-16-2005, 10:51 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Robert

I was with the 4th from Aug 67 to June 68
I can kinda remember being attached on special combat operation around Dak To in 67 and in Hue in 68 , but I may not of been in Hue cause Catman can't find where the 4th was anywhere near Hue. I seem to recall being attached somhow to the Cav also but I can't remember when.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2005, 12:19 PM

Default Marine command

Most soldiers had little exposure to corps-level command so knew little about it. I doubt very many of my fellow "Professionals" at 1/46th Infantry realized we were under command, at the corps level, of a Marine three-star in Danang. I didn't realize it until researching the war years later.
"No one has greater love than this; to lay down one's life for one's friends.". John 15:13
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 12:47 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Montana

Your right, most had no idea who or what 6 was let alone eye corps headquarters . I had occation to view orders given to LT because I was his RTO, they would usually say, To HHC 1/35, BLaaa, Blaaaa, Blaaa, with 101inf or 173 inf for Blaaa, Blaaa Blaaa, in conjunction with operation Blaa, Blaaa, proceed to Blaaa, Blaaa at ----Hours.
LT gen dumb ass
I Corps

But its been a while so I could be wrong
Old 12-16-2005, 03:12 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

In January and febuary 1968 my army trans company was in the Hue/Phu bie area. They told us we were attached to the 3rd Marines. I always thought they meant the 3rd Marine Division, but now I wonder if we were under the 3rd Marine Amphibies Force instead. I remember when the XXIV Corp came to Phu Bi and took over.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to Bill Farnie
Distinctions
VOM 

steve,

In Aug 1968 XXIV Corps was reactivated at Phu Bai and it was placed under operational control of III Marine Amphibious Force.

In March 1970, the Corps headquarters moved from Phu Bai to Camp Horn in Da Nang to become the senior U.S. military headquarters in I Corp, replacing the III MAF.

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee
Old 12-17-2005, 07:32 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Re: James

Quote:
Originally posted by 39mto39g Field Forces
Field force was the designation used during most of the Vietnam war to classify US military corps level tactical control headquarters. Boy that?s a mouth full. There are 2 field force designation . Eye field force and ll field force.
When these units were deployed to Vietnam in 1966 the decision was made not to use US corps designations , Later, in 1968 when XXIV corps was formed the decision was reversed. Unlike a Corps headquarters, which has only tactical functions, the field force organization was more flexible and could handle additional responsibilities, including supply, pacification, and advisory roles.
Eye field force , originally called Task force Alpha, arrived in Vietnam in 1966 and provided combat assistance to south Vietnamese Army?s ll corps and to control US military operations in Central Highlands. Headquartered at Nha Trang it was redesignated eye field force Vietnam, a corps level headquarters
Its assigned units were , 41st and 52nd Artillery,
Attached to eye field force at one time or another for specific combat operations were, 1st Cav (airmobile) 4th inf div,3rd brigade, 25th inf div, 101 airborne airmobile, and the 173 airborne

II field force arrive in Vietnam in 1966 , was headquartered in Bien Hoa. It provided combat assistance to south Vietnamese Army in III and IV corps its units 1st and 2nd armored divisions, 23 and 54th artillery, attached to it at one time or another for specific combat operations were, 1st inf, 1st Cav (airmobile), 9th inf, 25th inf, 101 airborne airmobile, 82nd airborne, 173rd airborne, and 11th armored Cav.
This is like way to much writing for me, If you like I?ll look up XXIV corps later.

Ron
Thanks Ron.
GOod explanation and MUCH better typing than usual. You didn't cave in to popular demand and start using spell check, did you?
I said it wrong in my post above--I was in EYE Field Force in II Corps in the MACV LRRPs attaached to the 4th Diivision, No WONDER that if I Saw any military hardware laying around that I could use, I thought it was mine. Shows you how confused I was and you should have heard me tryiing to explain it when I got home. thats why I always wore the 101st combat patch, who the hell knew what the I Field FORCE patch looked like? (Yes, I know, a sword on a red and yellow shield) I NEVER wore the I FF patch--Just wear the puking buzzard. EVERYBODY knows what that sucker is-- no explanation necessary---just RTFP (read the fcking patch)
Stay good
JAMES
Old 12-17-2005, 08:36 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default James

No I didn't spell check, I don't care if I spell words wrong for you guys, This is mostly copied, (95%)
If I write something important I'll use spell check, so far on this sight I haven't written anything important.
When your assigned unit, (in your case is the 101) has operations that are under control of another unit (4th) that useually ment it was a I or II field force special combat operation,
If you could have seen the orders for any of your operations , I would bet you it had I or II field force Commanding on it somewhere.

Ron
Old 12-17-2005, 09:06 AM

Talking

Hell, only half of us can read anyway
"No one has greater love than this; to lay down one's life for one's friends.". John 15:13
Old 12-17-2005, 08:26 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

I remembered I had this picture of my Uncle's.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:46 PM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Ron it is First Field Force

Not Eye or I Field Force. Roman Numeral One.