The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Navy

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2003, 08:01 PM

Send a message via ICQ to USNLSC Send a message via Yahoo to USNLSC
Thumbs up "MAN THE SHIP AND BRING HER ALIVE"

"MAN THE SHIP AND BRING HER ALIVE"

With those words, Nancy Reagan commissioned the USS Ronald Reagan. If you witnessed the moving service, Saturday morning, 12 July you were a part of history.

It was awesome, the occasion, the ship, the officers and crew, and the vips. Even the weather was bright and sunny. Those of us who sent the Navy League a contribution for the occasion shared in the event.

Following the commissioning both C-SPAN and Fox News were on board for a ship's tour. With four and a half acres of flight deck above, there was no way we were going to see everything but one thing that came across was the caliber of the officers and crew. All expressed honor to be "plank owners" and seemed genuinely fond of the former president.

Thousands were in attendance on the pier alongside the ship. Who knows how many watched the ceremony on the television or the internet? VIPs included Vice President Richard Cheney and his wife Lynn. He gave a fine presentation. The two of them love our country and I consider them true patriots. You just wish those carping about anything he has done would disappear. Young Virginia Governor Mark Warner was right on in his welcoming remarks. Then former sailor and Secretary of the Navy, Senator and Chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee John Warner, gave a stirring, hard hitting, speech, frequently referring to the Gipper. Acting Naval Secretary Hansfort Johnson said all the right things. CNO Admiral Vern Clark and Commander, Atlantic Fleet Admiral Natter, in dress whites kept the momentum going. Couldn't help but note how handsome and young there are. The list goes on; what a team on the dais!

The Navy League was prominent. Even before the service started the League and the two primary ship sponsoring Councils Santa Barbara and Hampton Roads were receiving accolades.

The service has multiple aspects rooted in tradition. The invocation, national anthem, commissioning, Captain Goodwin reading his orders, setting the watch, breaking the flags of the Vice President and others, the shipbuilder's remarks, the benediction, the band music! Oh what a memorable day.

We wish Captain Goodwin, the officers and crew God's speed and blessing. See you in San Diego next June at the Navy League's National Convention!

Phelps Hobart, Eyewitness

PS Navy League: www.navyleague.org.

US warship Reagan launched...
BBC Sat Jul 12 16:52:00 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time) 2003 http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3061865.stm

USS Ronald Regan will embark today...
Fresno Bee Sat Jul 12 15:01:00 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time) 2003

USS Reagan Carrier Commissioned in Va...
Natchez Democrat Sat Jul 12 14:03:00 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time) 2003

USS Reagan carrier commissioned in Va...
Shawnee News Star Sat Jul 12 14:03:00 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time) 2003

USS Reagan officially enters service...
Hannibal Courier Post Sat Jul 12 14:02:00 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time) 2003

USS Reagan Carrier Commissioned in Va...
Associated Press Sat Jul 12 14:02:00 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time) 2003

USS Reagan Officially Enters Service...
Associated Press Sat Jul 12 14:02:00 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time) 2003

USS Reagan commissioned in Virginia...
Houston Chronicle Sat Jul 12 14:01:00 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time) 2003

Reagan Carrier Commissioned...
CBS News Sat Jul 12 13:52:00 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time) 2003

USS Reagan, first carrier named for living president, commissioned in Virginia...
SignOn San Diego Sat Jul 12 13:44:00 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time) 2003

"MAN THE SHIP AND BRING HER ALIVE"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2003, 09:08 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

This was a moving ceremony for me to watch also . I could relate to the sailor who enlisted in the 80's due to Regan being president many of the same reasons I joined the USAF in 1980 I was deeply moved by hearing that the sailor who is in my age group re-enlisted just so his last duty station would be the USS Reagan.That was a wonderful tribute to the man the Ship is named after . When she makes port in San Diego I hope Ronnie can get a tour before he dosen't forget his marbles too much more. God bless them all sailing on the USS Reagan and may she always have smooth sailing
Old 07-15-2003, 08:23 AM

USNLSC,

I remember the Navy Dept. sending me invite to the commissioning of the new Bon Homme Richard in Pensacola, FL.
I was on the old one CVA31 in 65-67 and made it to the gulf twice on her.

I was amazed how much smaller she was and how many woman are now at sea. In my days they were not there. The ceramonies went well and the tour was nice. So many updated and state of the art technologies were implemented made my old ship look like a prehistoric iron clad vessel.

The Navy has come a long way since my days and the people who are serving seem to be happier than when I was in. But back then their was a draft and you got those who didn't want to be there. I enlisted and could barely get along with the drafties.

I miss those days and after 12 years I had to bail out and start my family. Was on five ships in twelve years and enjoyed the service after the first couple years.

I know many today who are serving and they are very happy where they are at and love doing their jobs. The Navy has done a excellent job getting their people motivated and the training they get is nothing less than excellent as well.

I've made a living from my experiences with the Navy and their training has been with me to this very day. From 1963 to 1975 I served and had I not found the right woman to be with I would have stayed with the only other I knew and she was the US Navy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscf0011.jpg (106.2 KB, 59 views)

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 07-15-2003, 12:49 PM

Thank you for your comments Boats. You are an old salt. The brine still courses through your arteries and veins.

I too was married to the Navy. If you are not a Navy League member please give it some thought.

Visit www.navyleague.org and spend some time. I have been working on the legislative agenda - if interested visit that area and see what our vision is for the sea services.

Local councils provide friendships, socal activities, and support to adopted units including NJROTC/MCJROTC and Sea Cadets.
Old 09-01-2003, 01:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gunner Carvo Send a message via MSN to Gunner Carvo Send a message via Yahoo to Gunner Carvo
Distinctions
Contributor 

I'm a plankowner of USS McCampbell (DDG-85). I missed seeing the commissioning ceremony only because I was involved. From what I've been told I was responsible for scaring the crap out of half the attendees. When the word was passed to "bring her to life" it was my job to light-off the 5"/62 Cal gun mount, turn it to the crowd and make the barrel move up and down. No one was expecting to see a big ass barrel pointing at them. I guess I just have a gift of not being seen but making my presence known.

"Without me, the war will go on. With me, it could end." - me

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty." - JFK

"Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto."
(I bring not the rays of the sun but the thunderbolts of Jupiter)

Old 09-02-2003, 09:54 AM

I've heard many a 5"50 go off in my day. I'd like to see one of the battleships let loose with a 16" but I guess these poor boys have been put to pasture.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 04-13-2004, 05:31 AM

USS RONALD REAGAN, CVN-76, salutes the USS MIDWAY, CV-41!

This warrior intends to maintain the proud traditions of the USS MIDWAY for the next 50 years.

She regretfully will not be in San Diego for Midway Magic and the Navy League's National Convention - Let Freedom Ring; arrival in her home port of San Diego is scheduled not earlier than July 2004.

See Navy League National Convention Downtown San Diego!
http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/sh...threadid=38362
Old 04-15-2004, 10:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

Truely was a great day when that Boat joined the fleet. I always liked Reagan, thought he did a hell of job while I was under his command.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown