The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-29-2012, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator

Distinctions
VOM Staff Contributor 
Default Democratic Republic of South Vietnam & JFK

I was in Valley Forge High School audio-visual office when the word came that the President had been shot while in a motorcade in Dallas and was told to announce it over the schools P.A. system. No sooner had I gotten to the microphone when the radio announced that John F. Kennedee died from the wounds he received and that Lyndon Baynes Johnson was being sworn into the office of the President in moments.
I announced that to the school.
JFK had gotten America involved in the fight for democracy in Vietnam when the people of Siagon asked America to help them get the Chinese out of their nation and I'm convinced that had he lived, J.F.K. would have defeated the Viet Cong and the NVA, in very short order. He was the PT boat captain that risked his own life makeing sure that every one of his crewmen got to shore safely after his own boat was sinking due to skirmishes with Americas enemies. The book PT109 sits on the shelf about ten feet away from this desk.
LBJ took the office and listened to those who didn't give a damn about America defending free people while those people waited in airports with plastic bags loaded with *hit that they would throw at any uniform that got off of an incoming flight while screaming at those troops, calling them " BABY KILLERS."
"HEY, HEY L.B.J., HOW MANY KIDS DID YOU KILL TODAY" was heard nightly over the evening news.
I got a t-shirt the other day from under the Christmas tree and on that shirt was a yellow, green and red Vietnam Service Ribbon and “PROUDLY SERVED MY COUNTRY” printed below that ribbon. On the inside of the neck on that shirt was a tag which read “MADE IN VIETNAM.”
Imagine the worker in the t-shirt factory laughing and screaming to anyone that could hear him, “and this tiny country threw you out too. We’re stronger than you American Cowards. Vietnam BEAT AMERICA.”
Yesterday was trash pick-up day here and you can bet that there’s a new t-shirt in a land-fill today.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2012, 05:54 AM

Yes , that is a little too much irony . A T shirt made in Vietnam that displayed RVN flag
from a defeated regime.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:22 AM

Stick, Sir!

You wrote (quote):
"JFK had gotten America involved in the fight for democracy in Vietnam"
(End quote).

As far as I know, first US military advisers arrived to RVN while Eisenhower was still President of USA.

Example of informationsource of / for above:

The Virtual Wall website (3 subpages for 3 individual seperate US casualties, pre-dating JFK's presidential period):
1957 (Non Hostile): http://www.virtualwall.org/dc/CramerHG01a.htm
1959 (Hostile): http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BuisDR01a.htm
1959 (Hostile): http://www.virtualwall.org/do/OvnandCM01a.htm

Above 3 examples, also accessable via (for example) US National Archives, by / via:
http://aad.archives.gov/aad/fielded-...28&tf=F&bc=,sl

T G C! ( = Take Good Care! ).

Sincerely
A.B
Old 07-22-2013, 01:04 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

A.B,

Believe your dates, advisers and Commander-In-Chief at that time jive and are all quite accurate.

About 56-57 up at Graf and training volunteers from 10th Infantry Div. (We weren't called: "10th Mountain Div." at that time) in West Germany for making up a new Third Recon Sqdn of The 7th Cavalry, it was known that the new 10th Special Forces and/or; "Green Berets" (about a battalion size unit) was also being established to somehow aid the South Vietnamese fighting forces.

The many: "A Teams" dispersed wherever needed in South East Asia were called; "Advisers".

Also and when I was discharged in 1958, "Ike" was still my Commander-In-Chief and still OKing the sending of: "Green Berets" wherever most needed.

JFK just inherited that greatly admired and Exceptionally Outstanding Fighting Force.

Neil
Old 07-22-2013, 01:12 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

A.B,

Believe your dates, advisers and Commander-In-Chief at that time jive and are all quite accurate.

About 56-57 up at Graf and training volunteers from 10th Infantry Div. (We weren't called: "10th Mountain Div." at that time) in West Germany for making up a new Third Recon Sqdn of The 7th Cavalry, it was known that the new 10th Special Forces and/or; "Green Berets" (about a battalion size unit) was also being established to somehow aid the South Vietnamese fighting forces.

The many: "A Teams" dispersed wherever needed in South East Asia were called; "Advisers".

Also and when I was discharged in 1958, "Ike" was still my Commander-In-Chief and still OKing the sending of: "Green Berets" wherever most needed.

JFK just inherited that greatly admired and Exceptionally Outstanding Fighting Force.

Neil
Old 07-22-2013, 01:19 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

A.B,

Neil
Old 07-22-2013, 01:32 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

A.B,

Neil
Old 07-22-2013, 01:44 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

A.B,

Neil
Old 07-22-2013, 04:06 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Anyone know how I can delete all my duplicate or extra messages?
Initially I thought that I didn't even post ONE reply.
Earlier I kept getting that: "Data error" white page every time I tried to; "Submit".

Neil
Old 07-24-2013, 01:17 AM

Default Reconneil, Sir!

Reconeil, Sir!

Thank You for your reply, and for sharing that part of your Life!

10th Mtn Div (Light) as it is today, and 10th ID as when you served in the Division.... An indeed very interresting unit! By this, I am for example having the 87th Inf Rgt in mind. Check its history from WWII, also from before its overseas deployement! (A lead to "tease" for doing so, see for example: "Camp Hale" and "Kiska"). Other subordinate units being specialized for the Division, is (was) the 172nd LIB (until USARMY's re-organisation into SBCT, however located in Alaska instead of with the Division at Fort Drum in NY state). Of the Divisions specialized mtn -Arctic warfare subordinate units, the 85th, 86th and 87th Rgts, only the 87th remains within the Division today, with 1 Bn's in 2 seperate Bde's of the Div. Notable regarding its Connection with Camp Hale, is also the 38th RCT also trained there together with the 10th Mtn Div's subordinate inf-units. The 38th RCT however belonged to another Division.

Allthough the Division did not hold its "Mtn"-designation during your service in the Division, it did have it during WWII. For details about that, please see:

http://www.drum.army.mil/AboutFortDr...story_lv3.aspx

Other sites of interrest perhaps, may also be:

http://10thmtndivassoc.org

http://www.mountaineers.org/nwmj/06/061_Watson1.html

http://www.coloradovirtuallibrary.or...-and-camp-hale

http://books.google.se/books?id=KdE-...2087th&f=false

Allthough the above is not directly connected with your Div-subordinate unit, the 7th Cav Rgt, I yet just wanted to share another example aswell, of how indeed very interresting the entire Division is. An example for anyone else also reading this post-thread, which is perhaps somewhat less "known", compared to the indeed famous 7th Cav Rgt.

Again, Thank You for sharing regarding your own service, in your reply-post! Take Good Care!

Sincerely
A.B