The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Korea

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-25-2002, 03:43 PM

Neil, I agree that there is a skunk in the wood-pile when itcomes to the tobacco settlement.
Did you read where one of the tobacco states actually gave part of the settlement back to tobacco growers in theguise of some kind of farm aid !!!

Besides which,they (tobaccocompanies)willget back the fines they paid in a very short time with the price increases they put on cigarettes, and to add insultto injury,the states will make the smokers pay another unfair burden with their (the States)tax increases on the same Butts.

Somethings wrong when Enron can payzero taxes and all the grunts have to pay, in some states, 80 dollars a carton for cigarettes.

I know it's a choice thing for the smokers, but it's still WRONG !!!
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2002, 04:22 PM

Forgot to add that I think all user-taxes are by nature regressive. It makes the poor and middle class pay a larger portion of their income toward taxesthan do those mega-buck-earning Mothers.
I seem to be getting kinda off the subject of this thread, but if I don't say it quick, I forget it. And I'd hate to leave something controversial unsaid. One moreprivilege of getting old. Well. actually I've probably been an ornerycurmudgeon all my life, why change now?

Ken
Old 10-20-2002, 11:28 AM

Permission to come aboard;
Served with Charlie Company, 1st Bat.1st Marines
Korea, 1953 to Feb. 54. On line for Out Post battles of '53, last action with Seventh Marines near OP Ava, and finally last night and day on Boulder City. Frequently missed but never hit.
Semper Fi !
Old 10-20-2002, 11:51 AM

Default C-l-l

Hello, Jarhead. Was in the same unit in '51-2. lst squad MG's. And like you they missed me all but one time. Iwas glad if that's the word to be there when I was as opposed to you. At least we got to kick a few asses and during the period after leaving was a period I certainly wouldn't care to go thru. Sitting in a bunker and getting pounded. Going on those night patrols, not exactly my cup of tea. Also, the unit was Chestys' last regimental command before he made Brigadier.
SF
NC
Old 10-20-2002, 10:11 PM

Interesting coincidence. I was first squad light machineguns squad leader.And if you are under the impression that we didn't kick some ass in '53, read Ballengers book, The Final Crucible, Marines in Korea 1953. The bunkers didn't hold up to well when the Chinese got serious. I've read of your Marines actions in '51-52. Well done Marine!
Semper Fi !
Old 10-21-2002, 04:43 AM

Ken, Neil or Keith,

Looked in the down-under dictionary and was found wanting.

Pray tell me, what is an ornery curmudgeon?
Old 10-21-2002, 09:49 AM

My post was incomplete. You had to kick their butts from a static position and also take what they sent at you. That's were I would have volunteered to come home. The only difference was we could move one mile, ten miles etc. I also, from 4-24-51 until leaving was the section and squad leader of the first section of MG's. Ask how that can happen? Easy, when you and one other are the only ones' left after a fire fight, very easily arranged. The rest in the lst and 2nd squad either K-or- WIA. One 14 hour period, the COMPANY had 110 WIA's and 20 KIA's.
SF
NC
p.s. I've read the material you referenced and still wouln't care to have been there when you had to be.
Old 10-21-2002, 11:02 AM

I know you guys had a tough row to hoe. Few people alive today are aware of the price we paid and are still paying.I was extreemly fortunate. Blown out of the same hole twice, replacing a broken extractor under intense mortar and machinegun fire from two maxims, during a platoon raid on hill 120, and some how managing to knock out both machineguns while suffering only a bloody nose and a bleeding ear. Being tasked latter to counter-attack with my battalion to retake Reno after it was lost by the Turks, with little hope of survival in that cauldron, only to have the attack cancelled by the 25th Div. C.G. A grevious tactical error, that cost toksan Marine lives but probably saved my ass. Want to talk about guilt feelings. It.s been a heavy load, along with not being wounded and surviving. Didn't mean to go there, but there it is.
Semper Fi !
Old 10-21-2002, 03:06 PM

As you well know, you don't live alone with those type feelings! And for some, THEY DON'T GO AWAY!!!!! And as you said, they are tokson, not scoshe!!!!!
SF
NC
Old 10-22-2002, 11:27 AM

Default Wazza.... Curmudgeon defined

[img]file:///C:/My%20Documents/This%20is%20a%20Curmudgeon_files/curmudge.gif[/img]

Curmudgeons

Dictionaries define curmudgeon as a churlish, irascible fellow; a cantankerous old codger.

The origin of the word is unknown, but it might come from an old Scottish word that meant "murmur" or "mumble," or from the French coeur mechant, "evil heart."

The archaic definition made it a synonym for miser, and the word has had recent currency in a somewhat milder connotation, to describe a not entirely unlikable grouch.

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's excesses.

They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy. They ease the pain by turning hurt into humor.

They snarl at pretense and bite at hypocrisy out of a healthy sense of outrage.

They attack maudlinism because it devalues genuine sentiment. They hurl polemical thunderbolts at middle-class values and pop culture in order to preserve their sanity.

Nature, having failed to equip them with a serviceable denial mechanism, has endowed them with astute perception and sly wit. Offense is their only defense.

Their weapons are irony, satire, sarcasm, ridicule. Their targets are pretense, pomposity, conformity, incompetence. And they'll tell you that their targets are everywhere and multiplying like Smurfs.

Curmudgeons are mockers and debunkers whose bitterness is a symptom rather than a disease. They can't compromise their standards and can't manage the suspension of disbelief necessary for feigned cheerfulness.

Their awareness is a curse; they're constantly ticked off because they're constantly aware of so much to be ticked off about, and they wish things were better.

Perhaps curmudgeons have gotten a bad rap in the same way that the messenger is blamed for the message. They have the temerity to comment on the human condition without apology. They not only refuse to applaud mediocrity, they howl it down with morose glee.

Their versions of the truth unsettle us, and we hold it against them, even though they often temper it with humor.

Curmudgeons are like Sumo wrestlers; it takes a long time and a lot of abuse to make one; curmudgeons are also like writers: you're a curmudgeon only when someone else says you're a curmudgeon.

Curmudgeonry is a perfectly valid response to an increasingly exasperating world.