The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-25-2020, 09:52 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Angry Ref: The U.S.S. Missouri At Pearl Harbor

1-25-2020

REF: The U.S.S. Missouri at Pearl Harbor….

Dear President Trump;

Some years ago, 4 December 1991 to be exact, I sent an idea to “Bush 41” about putting the U.S.S. Missouri out at Pearl Harbor as a monument to where World War II began, and where it ended upon her decks with the Japanese surrender! As a matter of fact, I received a letter back from the Navy dated 2 January 1992 giving me a plethora of reasons why this could not and would not, be done!?

Some years later, an old family friend (Wilbur Estabrook) who had been captured by the North Koreans back in July of 1950, along with my uncle (Melvin Hampton Morgan) who died in captivity, both with The 24th Infantry Division, sent me a picture post card when he visited Hawaii on a reunion trip. The card depicted the Battleship Missouri riding at anchor as a monument at “Pearl!!”

And for the record - I was never notified, invited, or even thanked, and I find this complete lack of honesty and courtesy to be an insult to me, my family, and indeed, to every man and woman who ever served within “Our Armed Forces!!” I have retained the letter from one “Matthew E. Schellhorn”, Director of The White House Liaison Office, Office of The Secretary of The Navy, signifying “THE FACT” that this was MY idea and none other!! And yet, through all of this and more, still my family has not been invited out to see “The Mighty Mo” – why is that exactly?

“Remember this, even with me pushing 80 years old, and my wife Brenda close to 71, we still realize that where there is no truth – there is no honor! And for the record my wife and I were also (provably) the one’s who got those P.O.W’s who died in enemy captivity awarded a posthumous Purple Heart Medal! With so much talk in government these days about truth and honor, along with an abiding love for our military, I can not help but ask once again –

“WHATEVER HAPPENED TO OUR NATION’S GALLANT HONOR & TRUTH HERE??”

Mr & Mrs Hardcore
Old 01-25-2020, 01:08 PM

HC - I saw the U.S.S. Missouri at the Memorial at Pearl Harbor in early 65 coming back from our 1st tour from VN. Many of us took time out to go to the memorial. I remember it to this very day. We rented some scooters and went up to Diamond Head which overlooks the port bay area and the Memorial. You must go there during your remembrance visit.

We had an Hawaiian born ship mate blown over the side and when we pulled into port many of the guys went to his Sister's house to comfort her and his family. I was given emergency leave papers from the War Dept. US Army - that my younger brother Larry was in the Balboa Hospital sent back from VN. I left immediately once we ported. It's close to the Frisco (CA) area is where the hospital was. He was shell shocked but making good a recovery. I spent two days with him and I went back to my ship as we were due to pull out the following day going back online - VN.

A few years later my brother Larry died from complications to A.O. at the Denver VA Hospital. Larry was cremated and he was later buried with our Father & Grand-Parents in a Chicago South Side Catholic Cemetery. He was divorced but did father one son. They were notified. But never showed up. I got most of Larry's personal effects in my rafters in my garage along with my Dad's and Grandpa's military stuff.

Boats

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote