Old 04-17-2002, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default Bataan Veterans Honored

phuloi

Registered to :Aug 24, 2001
Posted 08-04-2002 at 22:10
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Veterans of Bataan Death March Honored in New Memorial, Series of Granite Columns
The Associated Press
Published: Apr 8, 2002

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) - Survivors of the Bataan Death March gathered in the wind and rain to see a new memorial marking the 60th anniversary of the World War II battle in which as many as 21,000 soldiers were killed.
The memorial is a series of 6-foot high granite columns with the names of the 1,817 New Mexicans who fought at Bataan and Corregidor in the Philippines. The few remaining New Mexico veterans who fought in the battle reunited for the unveiling and dedication Sunday.

"It's him," said Lillian Lujan, crying as she brushed her fingers across the name of her husband, Jimmie Lujan.

In 1942, the Japanese forced an estimated 70,000 captured American and Filipino soldiers to trek across 60 to 70 miles of jungle roads in the Philippines without food or water.

As many as 21,000 died on or after the march in prison camps. More than 900 New Mexicans died, and fewer than 900 survived.

The columns in the new memorial feature a story on each military unit and the names of the men who served in them. They are lined up about 6 feet apart to symbolize the soldiers' march following the surrender to Japanese troops.

"They were ready to die, for their country and for us," said Greg Villasenor, whose late father's name, Gregorio Villasenor, appears on one of the columns.

-----------------
War is fear cloaked in courage...... Westmoreland...Peace..Griz

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Profile www Qoute
Beau

Registered to :Aug 29, 2001
Posted 08-04-2002 at 22:14
Thanks Griz --- I met some of the Filipino survivors of the Bataan Death March recently at my step fathers burial ( two piccies on my web page ) and, among those small and old men, I felt mighty humbled.

Beau
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2002, 08:45 PM

Default HONOR BATAAN DEATH MARCHERS

I as a Young Private Served with a Survivor of the BATAAN DEATH MARCH!-- I was Stationed in Quincy Mass!--as An ANTI Air Craft GUNNER on 90 MM AAA Unit--& the TOP SARGENT was SARGENT BERKECH--this AAA?90 MM unit was at MERRY MOUNT PARK!--in QUINCY-- I remember Old SARG had a Brand New All BLACK MERCURY CAR!-- & right after ROLL CALL!-- HE would Pick One of US! to DRIVE IT to the MOTOR POOL--& WASH IT! OUR DUTY was ALL MILITARY!-- OLD SARG was a Real MANS MAN!- & He was ALL ARMY--a FATHER to US ALL! OH! He was TOUGH!--BUT--JUST!-- I Assume Old SARG is GONE NOW? BUT--I Thank Old SARG for the STORIES & & HE Made a Lot of Very GOOD SOLDIRES out of US KIDS! & When Any of US! Got into TROUBLE!--& YES! WE DID!--Often! OLD SARG was THERE!--LIKE a FATHER FIGURE!--& HE streighten ALL the PROBLEMS OUT!-- & HE Delt JUSTLY with ALL of US SCREW UPS! I transfered to the Air Force after a Year or SO!--Went to the Air Force & became an Electronics officer on B-52s--flew over 100 Missions out of LORING AFB--in LINESTONE, MAINE! BUT-I Never FORGOT OLD SARG! I used to CALL OLD SARG often--& It was Really FUNNY! to have HIM Call ME SIR! I KNEW HE was PROUD of ME!-- even Though HE Would Never Tell Me He WAS! My Older Brother a FULL BIRD COL-in the AIR FORCE Visited OLD SARG--While Inspecting the NG at OTIS FIELD on CAPE COD!--& thats When Old SARG said HE was PROUD of ME!-- My PERSONAL JOHN WAYNE!-- OLD TOP SARGENT BERkICH GOD BLESS CAPT JIM