Old 10-18-2003, 01:36 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Cool Heroic action earns Lejeune Marine national recognition

Heroic action earns Lejeune Marine national recognition
Submitted by: MCB Camp Lejeune
Story Identification Number: 20031017142048
Story by Cpl. Shawn C. Rhodes

CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C.(Oct. 17, 2003) -- When a rocket-propelled grenade collided with his light armored vehicle, being called a hero and receiving national recognition were the furthest things from Sgt. Michael A. Simmons' mind. With an artery in his arm spurting blood from a shrapnel wound, he was thinking only one thing: Keep pulling the trigger.

The 24-year-old, Union, Mo., native, is scheduled to receive the AT&T Defense of Freedom Award at the American Veterans Awards Nov. 21 in Los Angeles. The awards program will honor a serviceman or woman from each U.S. Military Service who has been deployed outside the United States in support of U.S. Armed Forces involvement in international conflict, and performed with distinction in defense of freedom in Operations Enduring Freedom and/or Operation Iraqi Freedom.

In a town with a name even Simmons can't pronounce, Al Muwaffapyali, he proved himself as a leader and a Marine.

"It was April 1, and we were on a humanitarian mission in the town. We were the lead vehicle, and the first to reach the bridge we were trying to cross," said Simmons.

He and his crew, Lance Cpl. De H. Pham, the gunner, and his driver, Lance Cpl. Mark A. Rodriguez, had experienced firefights before, but this one would cost them their vehicle commander and friend.

"There was a road block on the bridge, and we started taking fire. They were shooting small arms weapons and a few RPGs,' said Simmons. "I never saw the one that hit us coming. I remember after the grenade hit the vehicle, my arm flew backward. I actually thought it was a misfire from one of our guns, but I kept squeezing the trigger with the hand of my good arm and calling back to my platoon commander to let him know I was hit."

Simmons' memory is hazy after that. His crew filled in the rest of the details of the experience.

"We turned the vehicle around and went back to the column where our docs did their best to patch him up," said Pham, a San Diego native. "When we sent out our scouts to post security around the vehicle, we noticed it was on fire. I took a water can and put the fire out and assessed damages."

The RPG hit had taken out five periscopes, one grenade salvo, caused a minor air leak, took out their radios, put a six-inch hole in their main gun's barrel and the turret would not turn on the vehicle. "With Sgt. Simmons being medically evacuated, we started working on the vehicle and had it combat ready in ten hours," said Rodriguez, a native of Del Rio, Texas.

Processed through hospitals in Iraq, Kuwait, Germany and Maryland, Simmons was eventually released. Because of internal arterial bleeding, his arm swelled up to the size of his thigh and bears a long scar from the incision made to drain the fluid. Because of his wounds, he is unable to close his hand all the way. His heroic action in Iraq earned him the Bronze Star. Pending a medical discharge, Simmons is happy he survived the ordeal, but believes the award is not solely his.

"I think everyone in the platoon deserves a Bronze Star. I'm proud I received the award, but there are a lot of Marines who did more than I did who deserve it more," said Simmons.

An official at Headquarters Marine Corps, Quantico, Va., nominated Simmons for the Defense of Freedom award.

"The overarching goal of this award program is to select honorees who are selected for two reasons - first for their own outstanding service and contributions, and second as representatives of the many others in their branch of the Armed Forces, who likewise have performed in this same capacity with excellence and distinction, but not been recognized for their achievement," according to www.avashow.com, the official Web site for the awards ceremony.

Standing with his former crew, Sgt. Michael A. Simmons, a vehicle commander with 2nd Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion and native of Union, Mo., bears the scar of his encounter with a rocket-propelled grenade while serving in Operation Iraqi Freedom. Flanking his right is Lance Cpl. Mark A. Rodriguez, a native of Del Rio, Texas, and Lance Cpl De H. Pham, a native of San Diego. Simmons, a Bronze Star Medal recipient, is scheduled to receive the AT&T Defense of Freedom Award at the American Veteran Awards ceremony Nov. 21 for his heroic actions while under fire in Iraq.
Photo by: Cpl. Shawn C. Rhodes

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn20...8?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links