Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-26-2003, 08:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking Airborne Drop into Iraq!!!

WOW!!

Hey Packo, Frisco, James!!! Did ya'll see that?!

173rd drops in to secure airfield in northern Iraq.

Never expected to see it in this war except maybe small numbers of SF, etc.

A big AIRBORNE for the SKY SOLDIERS!!!

Steve / 82Rigger

Steve / 82Rigger
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2003, 10:06 PM

Yeah.Saw that.That one cost me bet(with a NAVY guy of all things).Thought folks had become too sain to continue jumping out of perfectly good aircraft that aren't on fire.
Old 03-27-2003, 04:59 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default 82 Rigger

ATTAWAYTAGO!! Sounds like a perfectly good drop, in a perfectly good place, for a perfectly good war! Proud of all of them.

From a Dirty Ol' Leg!
Scouts Out!!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 03-27-2003, 05:08 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Rigger!

Been glued to the set over that one since it happened. Front page of our local paper: "AIRBORNE!" it has a picture underneith of the inside of the C-17 with all the guys in their jump seats. I am so proud I could bust! There was also one other jump to the west but do not know who did it. That was a couple days ago.

BREAK OUT THE "MUSTARD STAINS"! The Airborne is at it again.

DEATH FROM ABOVE! GO HERD!

AIRBORNE!

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 03-27-2003, 05:52 AM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Paco...from what i understand, the jump to the west was Pathfinder and SF troops going in to set the DZ and do a little sneak and peek before the main elements came in.

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 03-27-2003, 05:54 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Supposed to be...

the largest jump since WWII. Don't you get a star or something above the wings for a combat jump ?

Larry
Old 03-27-2003, 07:18 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Thanks Trav!

I saw the film of the western jump but they were never identified, or I just didn't hear. Thanks bud.

Mortarchunker, that's what a "mustard stain" is. It is a gold star on the risers of your badge. It's given for combat jumps. The only people to get one in Vietnam was also the 173rd at Dakto, if I'm not mistaken. The star above the wings is to indicate your a masterblaster. The famous "Rakasaans" got one for their jump into Korea and, of course, the 101 and 82nd got them in WWII along with the 11th in Corrigador.....again....if I'm not mistaken. What I really like is that the "Rakasaans" are alive and well again and with the 101st. Saw their emblem on the helmets in some pictures from the war.

Airborne!

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 03-27-2003, 10:00 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default You will now have your own wannabes

Pay attention to the date, time and place of the jump, also bone up on Vicinza Italy. You guys will get your chance to weed out the "173rd and SF wannabes" from your war. Tower 5 is always a good question for Jump School. Where did you do your mountain training for Ranger school normally gets the Ranger Wannabes. Do you know where Martha Rae is buried will tag a lot of the SF wannabes ( Any VN era SF would know that one and I am sure present day will to) Smoke bomb hill at Ft Benning is a good one (smoke bomb hill is at Ft Bragg). I am not sure where pathfinder school is now. Due to prevailing winds being West to East, runways align in a general east west direction, a question about the north end of the runway will get pathfinders or whomever claim to have secured the airport. Any of you other guys have your favorite wannabe questions please add them.
Old 03-27-2003, 06:22 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

Sid how about how many shots did you standard issue p38 hold? they probley don't even have them anymore with the new MRE's
Old 03-27-2003, 07:17 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up RIGGER

SAW IT! I always figured they were going to have a combat jump. I'm surprised it wasn't sooner. When we weren't allowed to jump off from Turkey to open up a Northern Front and divide their forces, I figured they'd drop the " 3rd Herd" and the "Eighty-Duece" in to secure airstrips and LZs to bring in the troops to the North. The place is custom made for an Airborne Assault. The whole frickin' country is one big DZ, as near as I can tell.

1000 troopers on a night jump! Would have been sooo coool to have been a part of that piece of history, even though I was never really thrilled about night jumps. I'm glad they gave the honor to the 173rd. Paco, you're right, they made the only combat jump in Nam. Late 66 or early 67. Operation Junction City. Wasn't at Dak To. I think it was down in III Corps. They were also the ones that made the jump on Corregidor. The only combat jump in the Pacific Theater. At that time they were the 503rd PIR, of the 11th Airborne.

Sid: How many PLFs did you carry in your ruck? What is the 4th point of contact? When he doesn't know, show him with your foot.