The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-06-2006, 09:20 PM
Robert J Ryan

Default You'll never find

Rest in peace Lou Rawls your voice will be missed.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2006, 10:13 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

One of my all-time favorite singers. A good man; a great singer; and a brother paratrooper. A velvet voice that will be missed.

R.I.P., Lou.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:55 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default RJ & Frisco...

Simillar sentiments on a great loss.

Though, didn't know that Lou Rawls was once Airborne.
Thanks, Frisco.

Still, goes to show how jumping out of a perfectly good airplane: "In total darkness at twelve hundred and fifty feet, wearing 95 pounds of equipment and forty-two pounds of parachute"....greatly effects voices QUITE differently.

Hell and if I ever so foolishy did so, I have no doubt whatsoever that even having a basically low voice,...I would have thereafter started singing like Tiny Tim and/or the: "Tiptoe Through The Tulips" yokel.

And, I don't even fear heights. Just don't particularly like even thinking of stopping-on-a-dime at about 120 miles per hour (possibly even on concrete),...if things go wrong.

Neil, The (chicken) Leg
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 12:05 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. Friends and fans in and around Fort Bragg are among those mourning today for Lou Rawls. The soul singer died of cancer yesterday.

The Chicago-born Rawls first came to North Carolina in 1955, joining the 82nd Airborne. He spent only three years as a paratrooper, but was a regular visitor and supporter of people at the Army base.

Rawls performed at Fort Bragg in 1983 and visited with troops, including a ride with paratroopers in a C-130. Newspaper reports from the time say he declined to put on a parachute again, saying, "I may be 'Airborne,' but I'm not stupid."

He returned to Fayetteville for another show in 1999.

Rawls' last performance in the area was two years ago, when he appeared at U-N-C--Pembroke as part of its Nostalgia Series. The school's arts center director, Patricia Fields, says Rawls was "one of the most gracious, most appreciative performers I've ever dealt with."

___

A genuinely nice man. He will be especially missed in our area, also. He did a lot of fund raising and concerts in the area for the United Negro College Fund.

Neil, like Rawls, I got out of the paratroopers without becoming a soprano. Unfortunately, nobody would pay a dime to hear me sing a song though .