Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Political Debate

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-13-2010, 07:24 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 
Wink Dubya vs Barry and our Marines

Link see:

A comparison between how Marines welcomed Dubya and Barry.

You'll love it...
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2010, 02:52 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

..... and at least Dubya knows how to pronounce "corps."

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 02-14-2010, 10:12 AM

Default Props

Speaking as a former, I can vouch that the Marines know how to follow orders. To date, I don't think anyone can say that Obama uses our military as "props".

Which one is the turkey and which one is plastic?

At first glance, this might look like the ultimate photo-op; the Commander-In-Chief serving American soldiers in Baghdad with a perfectly cooked Thanksgiving turkey in 2003 after the invasion of Iraq. Only that’s exactly what it was– a photo-op. It later turned out that the perfectly-cooked turkey Bush served was actually made out of plastic and merely decoration.

Or, my personal favorite:

On May 1st, 2003, Bush was flown to the USS Lincoln where he made a speech announcing what he said signified “the end of major combat operations,” and that “In the Battle of Iraq, the United States and our allies have prevailed.” After the giant “Mission Accomplished” sign behind him was criticized by many, the White House initially claimed that the Navy had made put it there, but it was later revealed that the White House produced it. On the same day, the Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld made a similar announcement about the end of the war in Afghanistan. Secretary Rumsfeld said in an interview that Bush’s speech originally contained the words “mission accomplished” but he asked the Commander in Chief to remove them since they seemed too conclusive at the time. Administration officials made similar statements in what is now seen as only the beginning of the Iraq War, with Rumsfeld stating that he believed the insurgency “could last six days, six weeks. I doubt six months.” Vice President Cheney also predicted that the insurgents were in their “last throes” around the same time.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:48 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Just to set the record straight, the turkey was the prop, junior, not the military.

Actually, the "Mission Accomplished" referred to the aircraft carrier's mission; it had just completed a successful deployment into the war zone as per orders. All you are doing is vomiting up the same old trite bilge that the minimum stream press is still puking. Try living in 2010.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 02-15-2010, 08:19 AM

Default Props

Ohhh...SuperScout...I can see that bad-ass, Clint Eastwood lip-snarl (that you've likely spent a lifetime cultivating) as you called me "junior." What should I call you? Bush apologist? Racist-redneck? Angry old fart? Sucks...you're probably proud of those labels - just hate it when someone lobs a frag into your Obama-bashing party.

It would have been truly admirable and honorable if Dubya had actually served Thanksgiving dinner to our troops. But he didn't. He walked around with a plastic turkey on a tray with big smiles until enough PR photos had been taken among people that had little choice of being there. Our troops.

And, wasn't it funny how that "Mission Accomplished" banner and the thrust of his speech was not aimed at welcoming the Lincoln carrier group home? The banner was first blamed on the Navy until it was leaked that it was supplied by the White House - and then we heard the real story.

On that day, "Flyboy-in-Chief" paraded around the deck in a flight suit, helmet and chute harness that he had no right to wear. Ever see his glorious service record? It includes his suspension from flying and no record of ever serving the last two years of his obligation. Again, lots of great "Mission Accomplished" photos for the campaign while our sailors and marines (people who were putting in THEIR time) had a much-needed liberty delayed. Given a choice, you think most of them preferred putting on their dress uniforms and standing in as "props" rather than spending that time with their families? After many months at sea and traveling thousands of miles, the White House (and Dubya) took advantage of the fact that they didn't have a choice - as they did many times.

It was supreme hubris.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:33 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriley1349 View Post
...On that day, "Flyboy-in-Chief" paraded around the deck in a flight suit, helmet and chute harness that he had no right to wear. Ever see his glorious service record? It includes his suspension from flying and no record of ever serving the last two years of his obligation. Again, lots of great "Mission Accomplished" photos for the campaign while our sailors and marines (people who were putting in THEIR time) had a much-needed liberty delayed. Given a choice, you think most of them preferred putting on their dress uniforms and standing in as "props" rather than spending that time with their families? After many months at sea and traveling thousands of miles, the White House (and Dubya) took advantage of the fact that they didn't have a choice - as they did many times.

It was supreme hubris.
It'd be better to obtain one's information from the actual records, than to rely on propaganda.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:20 PM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

jriley1349...just who are you and where do you come from? You are addressing a bonifide war hero and COL of the US Army. Show some respect or hit the road. I have no time for your bullshit.

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 02-16-2010, 06:43 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default jriley 1349

Here's how I'll address you: good bye.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:06 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Exclamation

Also, it is just wrong to declare that he did not deserve to wear a flight suit, aboard that vessel or at any other time or place.

His military record is clear, and clean. The man legitimately flew combat aircraft, currently then being deployed to theater Vietnam.

Here is a link see to his service:

http://airforce.togetherweserved.com/profile/102516
Old 02-17-2010, 04:37 AM

Default Props

Apparently, a bunch of credible newspapers pumped the plastic-bird story because of the Washington Post title by Mike Allen (who was on the trip with Bush) "Bird Was Perfect, But Not for Dinner":

Wash-Post:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...33090-2003Dec3

At least a few other major papers ran with it:
Guardian:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2003/dec/06/usa.comment

SeattleTimes:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...hturkey04.html

Later, the Washington Post issued a clarification - as I am now doing. Must have been my liberal, anti-Bush bias clouding my judgement and research. The point was about Dubya using the military as props for PR - plastic turkey or real "adornment prepped by a contractor", my claim remains that our troops were used as PR props for getting that all important photo... for those of you who got all in a twist about plastic or real. There's plenty of other military prop examples but I sense that most of you are not interested.

As for my anti-Dubya bias, he is:

...the same president who warned Americans of a potential Saddam-sent mushroom cloud over the United States – at a time when U.S. intelligence said Saddam had no nuclear weapons and his airspace was controlled by the U.S. Air Force and he had no long range bombers; the same president who linked Saddam and Al Qada – when in fact they were closer to enemies; and the same president who proclaimed “The United States does not torture” when the world has seen photographs of U.S. soldiers engaged in prisoner abuse and while his Vice President was lobbying Congress to make sure the CIA was not prevented from using torture.
--Kevin Zeese

Anyone got a problem with those claims? I'm sure some of you will.

I tend to be biased about a president who diverts a war of necessity waged against those who actually attacked us (Afghanistan/Taliban/Qada/Bin Laden) for a war of choice (Iraq) for which the invasion exhibited more "shock and awe" than planning. For those of you who might put anti-military words in my mouth....that claim takes nothing away from the troops who are tasked with executing those orders and continue to do so professionally and honorably. Hell... in 2003, I probably would have been cheering Dubya in that mess hall as well - believing what we were told then. But with the passing of years and hindsight, one starts to thread together facts and events until one understands that the justification, may not have been as it was sold. Like so many Vietnam-era vets, I get resentful about how our political leaders wasted the youth, ideals and lives of our generation. I'm hopeful that today's troops will be spared that legacy in coming years. And if they get the respect they deserve, it is at least in part, because Vietnam veterans forced their own ugly homecoming experience into the American public's face.

Yeah, I'm surely a cynic when it comes to politicians that betray American trust when it comes to war. "Barry" after a year seems to be putting the priorities (from my perspective) back where they belong with the Afghan surge, more drone strikes, capture of Taliban leader and (you guys will really hate this) Hillary Clinton doing the hard work of diplomacy to get cooperation with Pakistan's intelligence to make that possible. Although, I doubt if anyone on this forum would agree.

Arguing about whether a turkey was plastic or not? That's the bullshit least of it...but have it your way.

Last edited by jriley1349; 02-17-2010 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Correction