Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-07-2009, 07:17 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Did I missed this?

If so I'm sorry. He is due all the honor, and respect." I Salute You Brother"

Ed Freeman

You're an 19 year old kid. You're critically wounded, and dying in the jungle in the Ia Drang Valley, 11-14-1965, LZ X-ray, Vietnam . Your infantry unit is outnumbered 8 - 1, and the enemy fire is so intense, from 100 or 200 yards away, that your own Infantry Commander has ordered the MediVac helicopters to stop coming in.

You're lying there, listening to the enemy machine guns, and you know you're not getting out. Your family is 1/2 way around the world, 12,000 miles away, and you'll never see them again. As the world starts to fade in and out, you know this is the day.
Then, over the machine gun noise, you faintly hear that sound of a helicopter, and you look up to see an un-armed Huey, but it doesn't seem real, because no Medi-Vac markings are on it.
Ed Freeman is coming for you. He's not Medi-Vac, so it's not his job, but he's flying his Huey down into the machine gun fire, after the Medi-Vacs were ordered not to come.
He's coming anyway.
And he drops it in, and sits there in the machine gun fire, as they load 2 or 3 of you on board. Then he flies you up and out through the gunfire, to the Doctors and Nurses.
And, he kept coming back.... 13 more times..... And took about 30 of you and your buddies out, who would never have gotten out.

Medal of Honor Recipient, Ed Freeman, died last Wednesday at the age of 80, in Boise , ID . . . May God rest his soul!

I bet you didn't hear about this hero's passing, but we sure were told a whole bunch about some Hip-Hop coward beating the crap out of his "girlfriend.”

Medal of Honor Winner
Ed Freeman!
Shame on the American Media
Old 04-07-2009, 08:50 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Error somewhere

CMOHS lists him as departed on 08/20/08? Just checked, last wednesday was 04/01/09 All fools day, BAD if it was on purpose.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:28 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Sid

Don't think it's an April Fool...it's been going round the web for awhile. All of us in the 1st Cav Division Association were aware of his loss in August. I recieved the same email from Catman last month, so people are just becoming aware of his passing and how it was not covered in the media. Topp just got it I guess and was wondering why he hadn't heard of this before. Guess it's just not news, especially in an election period.

Most people also don't know that the 1st Cav Officer on the cover of the book, "We Were Soldiers Once...." a picture taken by Joe Galloway during the battle, (There is a soldier charging with a bayonet), was head of security in the WTC and was killed when the towers fell. He had plenty of time to get out but would not go until he knew the building was empty. More stuff the media missed.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:24 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

It doesn't matter which date it was, I was unaware of it either way. You're right, Topp, about the stuff that makes the front page and the stuff that doesn't make ANY page across the country.

May you Rest In Peace, Ed.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:08 PM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default I too have been concerned

Since I got into this about the MOH recipients and started looking real close I have noticed, in retrospect, That none of the recent Medal of Honor recipients have been featured in the news and most recently two WW II recipients have passed with no news comment. I wonder why. One of the first things I will do when I get this MOH web site up and running is make sure those who have passed and added are recognized.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Congressional Medal of Honor Society.

Here is their official web site www.cmohs.org. The national CMOHS is aboard the USS Yorktown in Charleston SC. I have been there it is very impressive. Something I learned last night while doing research. The single battle in which the most Medals of Honor were given. I was looking under the civil war thinking it would be Gettysburg, or Vicksburg or somewhere like that. Not even close. Indian Wars, The battle of Wounded Knee Creek.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:27 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Last August

Joe Galloway: Farewell to an American Hero - The... Joe Galloway: Farewell to an American Hero - The...

Old 04-07-2009, 09:17 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Speaking on the CMOH, especially for 1st Cav Vets. My first upclose experience of a CMOH recipient was 1969 during AIT at Ft. Polk, La. Delta 4-5. We were in a class "A" inspection when the Commander approached wearing this prestigious medal. Acually I just didn't know the facts as a young private. His name was Captain James Sprayberry 1ST
Cav Division. He served in Viet Nam in 1968. Tried to contact Him once, but no reponse.
He now resides in La Grange, Ga. I really repected Him as My Commander, and to actually
sit in the same messhall with such a hero. Not to mention to serve Him coffee if You had KP, and You were DRO. (dining room orderly) never forgot that acronym. I do love the CMOH site thanks for this info.
Topp
Old 04-08-2009, 05:10 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Being so close

to Charleston, the Yorktown is one of my stops when people first come to visit. The MOH section is awsome. I've had the honor to know 4 MOH recipients in my life. Sid knows two of them as they were also Green Berets. Two of them worked for the VA Regional Office in Winston-Salem helping veterans with disability claims. Fred Zabitosky and Lawrence Joel. MOH Recipient Joel had a new colliseum named after him in Winston-Salem after he died. The other two are Jon Caviani and John Baca. After my first hip operation, one of the men John Baca saved in Vietnam was hired as a temporary to take my place during the lengthy recovery. We kept him on to replace me when I transferred to Greensboro.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 04-08-2009, 03:50 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I don't know any CMH recipients but I do have the honor of knowing a recipient of the DSC, Brice Barnes. His is quite a story if you haven't read it.