Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Warfare > Space

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-02-2020, 08:09 AM

Arrow NASA kills one of its most trusted satellites

NASA kills one of its most trusted satellites
By: Mike Wehner - BGR - 01-31-20
Re: https://bgr.com/2020/01/31/spitzer-t...ecommissioned/

Photo link: https://boygeniusreport.files.wordpr...trip=all&w=782

With so many pieces of high-tech hardware at its disposal, it’s easy to forget that some of NASA’s most impressive machines are rapidly aging. The Spitzer Space Telescope is one of those machines, and after over 16 long years in space, the trusty spacecraft is now finally being retired.

NASA announced on Thursday that Spitzer had officially be placed in safe mode, effectively halting all science observations. This was the final step toward decommissioning the spacecraft, and Spitzer’s Project Manager Joseph Hunt made the final declaration that the mission was completed.

The Spitzer mission was originally slated to last around 2.5 years with the possibility of extending it to five years. Once it became clear that Spitzer was still capable of offering stunning glimpses of distant objects in space, NASA continued to extend the mission. In fact, the only reason the Spitzer project is now coming to an end is that it’s drifted so far from Earth that it’s difficult to keep the spacecraft powered up.

Spitzer doesn’t orbit Earth, but rather the Sun. It travels in a path similar to Earth but it doesn’t move as fast, meaning that Earth is constantly outpacing it. This wasn’t a problem for many years, as Spitzer could make its observations then turn and direct its antenna at Earth to fire its data back home.

However, these days the spacecraft is so far away from Earth that it has very little time to transmit data before it has to spin back around and gather energy from sunlight on its solar panels. With its efficiency approaching zero, NASA decided it was finally time to pull the plug and let Spitzer rest in cosmic peace.

About this writer: Mike Wehner has reported on technology and video games for the past decade, covering breaking news and trends in VR, wearables, smartphones, and future tech.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personal note: I remember this Spitzer Space Telescope - I wonder what replaced it?

In 2016, following a review of operating astrophysics missions,NASA made a decision to close out the Spitzer mission in 2018 in anticipation of the launch of the James Webb Space Telescope, which also will observe the universe in infrared light. When Webb's launch was postponed, Spitzer was granted an extension to continue operations until this year. This gave Spitzer additional time to continue producing transformative science, including insights that will pave the way for Webb, which is scheduled to launch in 2021.

See next thread posted - Boats

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2020, 08:19 AM

Arrow This telescope is our next great detective in the universe

This telescope is our next great detective in the universe
By: Ashley Strickland - CNN World News - 01-31-20
Re: https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/31/world...scn/index.html

5 Photo's on this link: https://cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/asse...xlarge-169.jpg

(CNN)After more than 16 years of observations, NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope came to an end on Thursday. It leaves a legacy of discoveries in its wake, which in turn has created new questions and intriguing targets for follow-up observations.

Spitzer was our infrared detective, spying exoplanets and distant galaxies. Now, there's a gap in infrared observations until NASA's James Webb Space Telescope launches in 2021. This large infrared telescope will be the premier observatory of the next decade, according to NASA.

It was named for former NASA administrator James Webb, who ran the agency during the Space Race from February 1961 to October 1968. NASA said that while Webb is linked to the Apollo program, he also supported the agency's balance of human space flight and science.

But scientists aren't worried about the gap. Exoplanet science continues through NASA's planet-hunting TESS mission, which has already found over 1,000 exoplanet candidates in its first year of science operations. The mission has been approved by NASA for another three years of observations, according to the agency.

Spitzer helped scientists lay the groundwork for determining what exoplanets look like, and even helped them learn how to operate telescopes in space in order to make the observations achieved over the last 16 years.

"When Webb gets up there, we can hit the ground running in a way we couldn't do with Spitzer," said Nikole Lewis, astrophysicist and assistant professor of astronomy at Cornell University.

Each telescope builds on the knowledge gained from the previous one. In the case of James Webb, its mirror is 50 times larger and it can observe even deeper into the universe.

Webb will be able to characterize exoplanets, going beyond Spitzer's capabilities of measuring how big a planet is and seeing the intricate details of how they look, Lewis said.
"We're hoping to answer those questions that Spitzer couldn't solve for us," she said.
Webb will take a closer look at a selection of exoplanets to peer inside their atmospheres, if they have them, and help answer questions about how the planets formed and evolved. Its spectroscopic data can tell scientists if methane, carbon dioxide or carbon monoxide is in the atmosphere.

Spitzer and TESS have helped scientists establish targets for follow-up by Webb, including some of Spitzer's "greatest hits," Lewis said.

For example, in February 2017 astronomers announced their discovery of seven Earth-size planets orbiting a star 40 light-years from Earth. With Spitzer's help, the seven exoplanets were all found in tight formation around an ultracool dwarf star called TRAPPIST-1.

The planets all bear the TRAPPIST name -- which the researchers borrowed from their favorite beer. Sean Carey, manager of the Spitzer Science Center at the California Institute of Technology, looks forward to Webb's follow-up of the system, which can provide a more detailed analysis on these intriguing planets.

Some of the planned targets for Webb include TRAPPIST-1b and TRAPPIST-1e, which could support liquid water on their surfaces. Another planned target for early in the mission is WASP-18b, a blazing hot Jupiter with an atmosphere, according to NASA.

Webb is also well-equipped to shed light on the mysteries of planet formation. Building off Spitzer's work studying brown dwarfs, or objects that are too large to be planets but too small to be stars, Webb can take a closer look at their cloud properties.

Spitzer was known for looking deep into the universe, studying galaxies that formed in the early days of the Big Bang. Webb is more sensitive, so it will be able to peer back even further.

"We'll be able to see some of the earliest galaxies to form in the universe that we've never seen before," said Amber Straughn, deputy project scientist for James Webb Space Telescope Science Communications.

Like Spitzer, the Webb telescope was in development while scientists were learning about exoplanets, but it wasn't optimized for them. For example, the concept for Spitzer was initially developed in the 1970s; it launched in 2003.

"It takes a long time to develop an observatory," Carey said. "So the expectation for James Webb is tremendous."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personal note: I'm a Trekky fan. Always enjoyed the outer space movies and when I was much younger I always wanted to go into space and see other worlds and people's - if that ever happens? But its one thing to look up every night and see all those star's and wonder whose looking back? I don't believe we are the only planet with life - its unrealistic to even think there isn't life elsewhere. It's a shame I won't live during that period of time when man goes out there into the unknown? Dreamer's like me are many but so far we've reached the moon and soon Mar's. I hope I see that day. Boy I wish I was born 500 years from now I can only imagine looking out of my house (unless we are living underground from nuclear wars) but what an adventure it would be going where no one has gone before! Yep its not my calling - but I still dream as an old man wondering what will become of our predecessors who follow after us? Hmmmmm can only hope for the best!

Boats

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote