The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-19-2007, 06:56 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default IT HASN’T BEEN EASY, NOT BY A LONG SHOT!

Since Brenda and I started this “Crusade For Long Overdue Justice”, almost four (4) years ago, the road has been hard, and at times painful!

Who would have ever thought that something as obvious and as honorable as awarding a “Posthumous Purple Heart Medal” to some 17,000 Americans who perished in enemy Prisoner of War facilities would be this difficult? Or that elements of our own government and establishment would (or even could) put up such a “Field of Flack” - but so it was, and it apparently is not over yet?

It all started out when a shirt-tail relative claimed (erroneously) that Brenda’s uncle, a young 20 year old corporal, and a kid who had died of starvation and beatings in a North Korean Prisoner of War Camp, had (indeed) received a posthumous Purple Heat Medal? Such, apparently, was not the case (according to Army records) He did receive the POW Medal (and others), but not the Purple Heart!

As I felt that those who were captured, and expired in captivity from causes such as beatings, starvation, torture, lack of medical care and exposure, should have been awarded, be it posthumously, this last testimony of their honorable service, we (Brenda, Shorty Estabrook (himself a former POW), and I, immediately set about trying to rectify this long-standing travesty!

In this quest, we managed to garner the magnificent help of some 36 veterans groups (most of them national), with a combined membership of some 8,000,000 members (not counting family). We also were fortunate in the fact that about 222 Congressmen and a vast number of Senators as well, stood behind us!

Now don’t get me wrong, there were some who did not back this Bill, or who came on board late in the game, as a result of political pressure and/or ambition, in my humble opinion? But even with their late entry, their valued help was greatly appreciated! As a matter of fact, and as was expected, there were even a few who did not realize that this monumental effort was for the 17,000 American Patriots (POWs) who had died and could no longer speak for themselves. A couple even attempted to grab hold of some luster for themselves, instead of doing this for those who gave their all!

“Again, and this is for the record, this effort was not for any political or ambitious types, but rather for those who had died in enemy POW Camps!!”

Well, after bouncing back and forth endlessly, we finally arrived at the point where the Bill appeared to be heading in the right direction!? Lo and behold, however, the “Honor Our Fallen Prisoners Of War Act” was pulled aside again, this time for a study (or so we were told) by the DoD (Pentagon).

After running through this roadblock, one that had to be initiated by a party (or parties) who’s names were kept on the Q.T., we are still running into double talk, delays, excuses etc. Granted, we are being told “Not To Worry”, all is as it should be? After all, how could anyone slight the memory and sacrifices of those who gave their last full measure of love and devotion for this, their nation!

“Well, at least this is what I thought, but then if it takes a full four years to accomplish a “NO BRAINER” , it comes as no surprise that, as of a couple of days ago, the Executive Office had a 24% Approval Rate, and Congress had but an 11% approval rate! “You would think that these public officials would have gotten the message by now, but maybe not?”

VERITAS
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links