The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > World War II

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-15-2003, 02:56 PM

Question Any free records searches out there???

My mom told me stories of my grandfather last nite and now more than ever I want to see his record.All military paper work was lost in a fire years ago along with his bronze star,silver star and purple heart.I know he was in Okinawa and my mom said he had something to do with Infantry but yet all the stories that were told had to do with tanks.I assume then it would be like 3rd infantry 2nd armored bn or some designation like that.I really want to "know" my grandfather more and this is the only way I can get any military info.Maybe I will start a unbelievable but true thread so I can post one of the stories that my mom told me...lol.Any info would be great. :cd:
Old 05-16-2003, 04:12 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default the first thing...

to do is gather all the info and facts you have about your grandfather's service. You might be surprised what you can find, possibly from other relatives. There may be old letters or just what someone remembers. Once you have put together the information, try various searches thru www.google.com, using
info within " " marks. There are websites for most divisions online. Good luck in your quest.

Larry
Old 05-16-2003, 03:46 PM

Thanx Larry.I have done quite a bit of Google searching and I haven't come up with much.My mom is the only member of my family left.All her brothers and sisters have passed and there are no grandparents left.I guess to put it simply....I'm it...lol.My mothers family was very small and as I said before there was a fire that took all the photos,letters and medals away from us.My mom was 3 when my grandad went to war so she was too young at that time to really click in to what was going on and my gradad never really spoke of anything other than the 2 stories I now have.One of the stories is your typical war story and the other is how he got his silver star and purple heart.I can't even find out where the bronze star came from....lol.Again thank you for the info and I will keep digging and see what I come up with.I will definately post anything I find.
Old 06-27-2003, 02:14 PM

try nara up in St Louis, there are forms you have to fill out and have your mom sign, they have to be signed by a blood relative, and be prepared to wait because as any governmental beauracracy they will get to it when they want to but supposedly you'll get their service record. I am still waiting on my Uncle's from the Big One. If you know what unit he was with search on the internet for that unit there might be an association you can find.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 01:27 PM

Default Grandfather's Records

Hello!

You can get your grandfathers records online! Because he is deceased you can actually order them via the Net...

Go here:

http://www.archives.gov/facilities/m..._form_180.html

You can also get what medals and commendations he may have!

Go here:

http://www.archives.gov/facilities/m...corations.html

Hope that helps!

Lisa Stein, Honorary CPO
Houston, Texas

P.S. Google's good but Dogpile is way better!!
Old 10-02-2003, 01:38 PM

My brother was KIA crossing the Rhine River
Last week I went to Veteran Counselor about my brother's medal's at 1010 E. Maple Road, Walled Lake, Michigan. If I had taken death certificate the counselor would have filled out the forms and mailed them for me. The counselor gave me a form 180, I filled it out and sent it with letters from commanding officer
I am waiting now for my brothers medals
Old 03-16-2004, 10:31 AM

Default WWII Research

The fire at St Louis destroyed most WWII ARMY records. I sent away and did get my uncles unit information but that was it.

A great website for WWII veteran research is

http://members.aol.com/dadswar/
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote