The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Iraqi Freedom

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-09-2005, 10:23 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default From a Texas Guardsman in Iraq

[One of former subordinate commanders forwarded this to me from his nephew; not surprisngly, both are Aggies, and their traditional greeting to one another is simply "Howdy!" This letter speaks volumns about the urge of people to be free, and the inherent good nature of Americans, especially our Warriors. The 56 BCT (Brigade Combat Team) was formed from vrious elements of the Texas Army National Guard, including the battalion I had the honor of commanding several years ago, the First Texas Infantry.]

Howdy,

Sorry. I have to begin every letter with the traditional Aggie greeting& its in the blood. I came to the conclusion that a letter was in order in response to the support I have been receiving from home. The outpouring of love and encouragement has been overwhelming. My heart swells with pride that I have such a close and wonderful family, and such caring and thoughtful friends. I look forward to each and every letter and package that comes my way; though now I probably have more AA
batteries than my entire brigade (keep them coming).

I write to you all with a good and strong spirit. We are doing well in our mission and the troops under my command have kept up their morale. We do not have the finest living conditions, but they are adequate and we are not wanting for food. In fact, our ability to e-mail and speak on the phone is far better than I would have expected. I normally get to write to my beautiful fianci about every other day. We get along with the things that the good people of the United States have provided,
through your contributions to our government. We ask for little more than a straight shooting rifle, a smooth running vehicle, and a whole lot of armor. We have such brave soldiers in this fight, who take their missions and the danger that goes with it with little or no complaint and not a flinch in their stare. We have mutually come to the agreement that we are in the Lords hands and that any circumstances we find ourselves in is only a part of his plan. I have never been one to question
Gods plans. I accept his purpose for me and drive on; after all, it is not my life, but his gift. Perhaps that is why when you look in my mens eyes there is not fear, but almost peace. Now, do not take this to mean we go looking for danger, but we fear no man. We are Texans!!

Sometimes I have doubted our purpose here; I have failed to see the need for us. But then I see the faces of the Iraqi youths, the sparkle of hope in their eyes. Maybe someday things will be better for them and when they look back at who was here to hold their hand, to offer them food, to give them a chance at a prosperous life, to bring freedom and hope back to their homeland; maybe, just maybe, they will think of the Americans. I spoke with a man yesterday named XXXXXXXXX. He was a very
humble and pious man from Najaf. He has one son and two daughters. I spoke with him about his family and my hope to have children one day as well (wink wink, Meghan). We conversed about the beauty of the desert at night, about the difficulty of learning French, and spent a good long time speaking of soccer. XXXXXXXXX is in great danger for helping us. He must carry that burden every day, but he looked steadfast and determined, just as you would for your childrens future. He was so thankful
to me for being there, for my soldiers being with them. They want what they could not have had under their former government; freedom.

Is it wrong for us to be here? I have not always agreed with this effort, but now that I am on the ground, I see our purpose. If you believe as I do that divine providence created our government and that, as I believe, people should be able to determine the course of their own lives, then we must help these people obtain a democracy. I was thinking the other day, if I saw a slave held captive by a brutal master and I had the key to set that slave free, how could I not set him free? Perhaps
it is not my business, but I know it is right in my heart. Well the United States military is that key and the people of the United States are the wielder of that key. With all the tragedy, there is a beautiful thing happening here. We are seeing a new democracy take hold in Iraq. With all the fighting, there is compassion. With all the despair, there is hope. With all the hate, there is love. Do not doubt that the Iraqi people see the sense of honor and compassion shown by our soldiers.

I cannot fault the insurgents for being passionate about their cause. We were once as passionate about the affairs of our government. We were willing to fight and die for what we believed to be right. Sometimes I wish some of that zeal for country and family would revive in our people. These people are not so different from us when we began our nation; hopeful, but unsure. We have had our share of conflicts over the proper way to run a democracy. Will they figure it out? As far as I know,
we are still living the great experiment. As for the way they go about showing that passion, I can only say this; if you shoot at my soldiers, you will soon feel the wrath of Texas coming down on you& along with an abundance of .50 cal rounds.

I wish to thank each and everyone who has taken the time to write me or send me something. I only wish I could spread all the love I feel from you around to all of my soldiers. I am so honored that yall would be thinking of me. I am so glad to be loved by so many. I want to be at home in Texas with all of you. I want to see my beloved Texas A&M again. I want to watch the Band march at halftime. I want to sit with the family and make brisket, while we joke about life. I want to hold my Megs
hand again. But all of that must wait till I perform my duty as a Texan and an Aggie. I joined the military through a sense of duty and honor to Texas, Texas A&M, but most of all, my family. I only hope that I do you credit in my service. I hope that you look upon me as a good man. That will make all of this worth the effort. Believe in my soldiers and they will do their duty! Believe in the will of the Iraqi people, and they will overcome! Believe in God and the power of your prayers, and
I will come home!!!

Gigem and God Bless,

2LT Luke Gorney
C/3-112AR/56BCT/36ID
FightinTexas Aggie Band
Class of 2001

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2005, 10:48 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Information received and passed on.

Quote:
I only hope that I do you credit in my service. I hope that you look upon me as a good man.
I don't think this man will have a problem there at all.

Darrel

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 06:32 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Great Letter Scout