The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Other Conflicts > Cold War

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-14-2002, 08:47 PM

Lightbulb I still do not get it??

Why do Most people of this era 1945 to 1991 look at this as not really being a war. They call it peace time. It was anything but peace

:cd:
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2002, 09:25 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
That is fairly easy to answer.

There hasn't been a major world war. Such as WW I or WW II.
We have had Korea, Vietnam, Grenada, Panama, Gulf, Congo, all actions in which American Servicemen were killed.
There have been tribal wars all over the World. There have been neighborhood wars. Iraq vs Iran, Soviets vs Afghanistan, etc.

There hasn't been complete peace in this world ever. But, it has been relatively peaceful the last fifty years or so compared to the World Wars. So, its considered peace time even though there isn't total peace. It has been much better than total war of the World Wars.

Not a very good answer but the best I can do.

Keith
Old 12-15-2002, 08:44 AM

Default Keith

I agree to a point;
However,
Korea, Vietnam, and Grenada were without a doubt the by product of the cold war. even when not envolved in a "Hot War" We were teaching our kids how to hide under thier desk at school and Walking the Fence, Spending Billions of dollars to make the other guy think twice about anymore "Hot wars" our lives changed forever because of the Cold War. We can also learn from the the war so mistakes are not repeated, Its place in History must not be taken lightly. I think you get my point.

I still think it was anything but peace.
Old 12-16-2002, 07:30 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Bus........

I guess it all boils down to a matter of perspective.

If one is a Cold War Veteran having once served overseas, freezing his- ass-off on lock and load on either The Korean DMZ or The West German/East German or Czech Borders even during: "The WRONG Years",...such time most certainly did not seem like peacetime. That's a valid perspective,...don't you think?

Whereas, if A Veteran once served in: "The Big One" (re. WWII), any Service to Country after January 31, 1955 is considered Peacetime Service. Sure, The Legion and VFW permit some time frames during the about a-half-century to be considered wartime service. But, so what? Any Veteran Segregation or Superiority amonst Veterans is just flat-out wrong (insulting of Service to Country also).

Neil
Old 12-16-2002, 08:04 AM

The majority of the Politicians making laws and news media reporting their biased attitude to the multitude never served a day in a hot war or a cold war. Most of the brain trust that are politicaly correct and in general full of crap were full time students during the draft and in most cases dodged the draft while getting an education.
The problem is, we listen to their spin and vote them in!