The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Enduring Freedom

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2009, 06:32 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Angry U.S. Lawmaker Says Obama Administration Ordered FBI to Read Rights to Detainees

• U.S. Lawmaker Says Obama Administration Ordered FBI to Read Rights to Detainees

The move is reportedly creating chaos in the field among the CIA, FBI and military personnel, according to Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Mich.
  • Photos
    Men dressed as prisoners (in orange) clash with prison guards during a demonstration at the opening ceremony for the newly refurbished part of Pul-i-Charkhi prison on the outskirts of Kabul March 25, 2007. (Reuters)

A senior Republican on the House Intelligence Committee is accusing the Obama administration of quietly ordering the FBI to start reading Miranda rights to suspected terrorists at U.S. military detention facilities in Afghanistan.

The move is reportedly creating chaos in the field among the CIA, FBI and military personnel, according to Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Mich. The soldiers, especially, he says, are frustrated that giving high value detainees Miranda rights -- the right to remain silent, the right to an attorney -- is impeding their ability to pursue intelligence on the battlefield, according to a story first reported by the Weekly Standard.

"What I found was lots of confusion and very frustrated people on the front lines who are trying to, well, make Afghanistan successful for the United States and its allies," said Rogers, who serves on the House Intelligence Committee.

Rogers, a former FBI special agent who served in the U.S. Army, just returned from Afghanistan and a visit to Bagram Air Base, where he said the rights are being read.

"I witnessed it myself, talked to the people on the ground," he said. "What you have is two very separate missions colliding in the field in a combat zone. Again, anytime that you offer confusion in that environment that's already chaotic and confusing enough, you jeopardize a soldier's life."

U.S. commanders told FOX News soldiers are not reading Miranda rights to detainees, but those commanders could not speak to whether the FBI was doing so. The practice has not been instituted at detention facilities in Iraq or at Guantanamo Bay, according to U.S. senior military officials.

Asked if the Obama administration had ordered that Miranda rights be read to certain detainees, White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said, "I have no reason to disbelieve a member of Congress. But I don't know any of the circumstances that are involved around it."

But Gibbs acknowledged that it wouldn't be a surprise to find out that it was happening.

Justice Department spokesman Dean Boyd denied there has been a policy change covering detainees.

"There has been no policy change nor blanket instruction for FBI agents to Mirandize detainees overseas," he said in a statement, adding, "While there have been specific cases in which FBI agents have Mirandized suspects overseas, at both Bagram and in other situations, in order to preserve the quality of evidence obtained, there has been no overall policy change with respect to detainees."

Some senators wonder what would have happened if Khaled Sheikh Mohammad, a self-confessed architect of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, had been read his Miranda rights.

"I'd be very concerned if we're sending FBI agents over to Bagram Air Base in the middle of a military operation to start reading Miranda rights to detainees caught on the battlefield," Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., said.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009...hts-detainees/

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2009, 07:44 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Here we go again!

Not too many years ago, terrorists - that's what I call these POS, and I'm not politically correct, surprise surprise - we treated as criminal suspects, and the results of this splendid action was the bombings of 2 of our embassies, the bombing of the World Trade Tower in 1993, the bombing of an USAF facility in Saudia Arabia, and the bombing of the USS Cole. Our response was less than spectacular and generally ineffective.

Now, this gutless moron that occupies the White House - I still like the bumper sticker that read, "Somewhere in Kenya, a village is missing its idiot" - is insisting that our warriors start acting like the Keystone Cops that protected us during the Clinton years. The result, it the idiot's plan is carried out, will be more casualties among our warriors, and fewer captured terrorists. Guess why.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 06-10-2009, 08:17 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Arrow Insanity is doing the same thing over and over

again and getting the same results. Yes indeed! HERE WE GO AGAIN!

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 06-10-2009, 11:32 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Take no prisoners,...

...period,...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

Old 06-11-2009, 09:22 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

No prisoners. That will be the unspoken rule of engagement from now on....

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."