The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Veterans > Veterans Concerns

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-05-2003, 07:37 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to tdeane
Default Strange feeling at VA office

Hey gang,

Yesterday I ran into my local VA office to purchase a new Benefit manual since mine has long since grew legs and departed.
I was questioned by the VA fellow about my time in service and "if" I had any disabilities I felt I needed to claim. I said "no".

Well, this answer obviously wasnt good enough for him. He asked me about headaches, joint pain, trouble sleeping and so on. Now, this went on for damn near 30 minutes. I kept telling the man I have no claims that I want to make as per disabilities. He said, "Well, think about it this weekend and call me Monday if you think there is something we can get you money for. I was to the point of just yelling at the guy, "NO!!!". I told the guy I served my Country because I wanted to and in no way am I going to make a "false" claim just to get a bit o' cash.

He then told me he was retired Coast Guard and he has a slight ringing in his ears that occasionally causes headaches and he was able to get 20% disability and he went on to tell me all the benies he gets. I was like, "Oh boy."

Is this the tactic that is used by the VA officers? Do they get some sort of kick back from claims they process? Are there really people out there who abuse the system in this way? False claims???

Why would I want to make a claim when there is nothing wrong with me? The way I see it, if I make a false claim and get money and added comforts, isnt that shorting some veteran brother who really needs the help?

I thought I would vent, sorry. This episode just really bothered the crap out of me for some reason...the only thing I kept thinking of were how many from my area have followed this route and are now milking the system.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2003, 08:48 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

We have several VA employees who post on here regularly. Many of us receive compensation monthly for disabilities, incurred as a result of military service, from the VA. In reading "Stolen Valor" and doing research it seems as if there are ( or were ) a significant number of individuals who have scammed the VA in many ways ( I always thought a real copy of a bona-fide DD-214 was a way to prevent this... not so ? ). It has taken me a long time to go to the VA with my medical problems. 50% was my fault, but the other 50% was what I knew about the "system", and having been a federal government employee for 34 years. I have nothing but admiration for the way I have been treated at the Vet Center for the past year and a half. I have an appt. in Feb 2004 with the PTSD PCT Clinic at the Memphis VA hospital. From what I have heard thus far, I have my misgivings about this. The appt. was made almost 4 months before the actual date. I would like to see a discussion on here with the VA employees ( as much as they can say... ) about all of these topics. It would certainly help me out, as well as others. Thanks !!

Larry
Old 12-05-2003, 09:39 AM

Default VA claims

Let me begin by saying I am not a VA employee. I am a County Veterans Service Officer.
I don't believe that this person was trying to get you to file a bogus claim, but to let you know that there may be certain benefits that you are entitled to. While there indeed may be people who encourage vets to file dubious claims, the vast majority of people who counsel vets on their entitlements are just trying to insure that vets get everything they are entitled to.
The key word here is entitlement. If you served in the military and have a disability as a result of that service, you are entitled to certain benefits.
One of the big things we run into is that many veterans are not aware of their entitlements, and VA disability compensation is just one of many programs that a veteran may be entitled to. Establishing that a veteran has a Service Connected disability then opens up eligibility for other programs such as Priority Medical Care, Life Insurance, Vocational Rehabilitation training programs and possibly other programs offered by the State they live in.
Veterans' may have medical problems that they don't realize may have started in the military. In my office we ask basically the same questions that the VA employee asked you. Were you ever injured or hospitalized in the service? When you were in the service were you exposed to loud noises that may have resulted in a hearing loss or ringing in your ears? Did you serve in Vietnam? If so have you been diagnosed with diabetes, prostate cancer, etc? Did you serve in the Gulf? If so are you experiencing medical problems that nobody can seem to explain?
These questions are meant to get the veteran thinking about the posssiblity that they may be entitled to VA benefits. It may not be significant now but it can be down the road.
You can look around the Patriot Files and see a number of veterans who either weren't aware of the programs available to them, or just didn't want to hassle with the VA in applying for those programs. When a lot of us got out of the service 20 or 30 years ago, there wasn't a lot done to let us know what we might be entitled to. Add to that the fact that many of us didn't want to hear it anyway, just let us get the hell out of here.
What my office does and what the Service Organization representatives try and do is try to let vets know what's out there and make dealing with the VA less of a hassle.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:31 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Case in point,...

...mine,...

...It took me 10 years to go into any military facility after discharge, my arm had torn out after the initial surgury, and they went in, and attempted to re-repair it, three years passed, and it torn out again, I was advised to file a claim by the Veteran's representitive for which I was awarded a 10% comp, they also advised me that I qualified for hearing aids, but I was too stuborn too admit that then,...

...I was angry as I thought I would receive 20% form my arm, and that would be it,(weird logic at the time as to the number of extremities I have, and working condition of them all), and it wasn't until the "appeal" process when after denial again is when I got aggitated at the comp doctor, and they again sent me to the Veteran's Rep...

...It was after a while, and with what I would call "gentle coaxing" that I blurted out my shame, and the shooting incident That I was involved in,... It was then that I was explaned to that what I had been suffering from was PTSD,... I walked out wanting nothing to do be being "labeled" again, but through this person's compassion that she explained it wasn't my fault, etc, etc, and the explanations started making sense, It took through 95, I think, before I actually realized that it was consuming me,...

...If it wasn't for Kathy's "prodding" with the simple question of "Curtis, what is really bothering you?" , I probably would have buried it all over again, and checked out long before now,...

...I've made strides,... few, and short,... "baby steps" as Frank would have said, and have learned so much as to try to control it from many here, so I'll add that though the Rep might have seemed over zelious, I believe that there are persons that do really care,... It took me, "Mr trust no one" a long time to come to grips with people that worked within the Va. system,...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

Old 12-05-2003, 06:55 PM

Hang in there. Eventually the good days outnumber the bad days. My Uncle Roy never spoke about his being a POW in WWII until about 14 years ago. When he passed away earlier this year I think he finally came to grips with it all. He used to say that his therapy was working as a volunteer at the VA hospital and at Davis Mothan's museum.

You have good people around you who have only your best interest at heart. Your family & friends love you and want nothing more than to be there for you. This forum will help too. Nothing like venting with those who know.
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan