The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-05-2004, 03:27 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default May be more than you asked for?

But, what the hell? Here goes anyway.

Because our government is unable possibly do everything that all of its citizens request, it is confronted with difficult choices.

It must choose to do what is best with the resources we have. This involves involves moral and practical considerations.

Caring for those who have made extraordinary personal sacrifices for our Nation and its citizens to protect us from enemies determined to deprive us of our freedoms and prosperity outranks other goals of government, no question, even though other goals may have merit and be needed themselves.

Veterans? programs must remain a national priority.

As indisputable as this principle is, not all in government appreciate the nature of our indebtedness to disabled veterans and our corresponding overriding obligation to care for them first before pursuing other goals.

Seeking to ignore that obligation and default on that debt without being held accountable, many politicians have devised some crafty ways to disguise or misrepresent the real nature and consequences of their actions that it may often be difficult for their constituents to know what is genuine and what is false.

Fortunately, our enhanced ability to communicate through modern technology enables us to fulfill our obligation to tell the real story of what is happening.

Just like this web site forum. Thanks David & Bern!

Top three veterans issues:

1) Eliminate the political issue of the adequacy of the budget for veterans? health care programs by making the funding for all medical care & treatment, "mandatory funding" rather than a "discretionary funding" as it is now . This would forever take the "politics" out of Veterans heath care!

(Sorry my dear friend Packo....."PRIVITISING" VA health care is NOT the answer! All the experts in all the fields of medicine have gone on record,'''private & public", that this would be a DISASTER!)

As long as the Congress and the Executive branch have the "power" to use Veterans as "pawns" in the political process with their ability to determine the "amount" of their choosing for funding these programs, which have shortchanged veterans in the past, they will probably continue to do so until funding levels are mandated by law.

2) The Congress must authorize and pass a bill, and the President MUST sign it, with provisions for full concurrent receipt of military retired pay and disability compensation.

Their last effort to "phase in" this measure over the next ten years is no more than a political maneuver to appease the veterans community. Many of the eligible veterans that would benefit from this measure will be DEAD and GONE in ten years!

3) Force the Congress to accept the "Independent Budget" projections as established by the four Congressionally Chartered Military Service Orrganizations (the DAV, VFW, Paralyzed Veterans of America, and AMVETS) when the "discretionary" funding elements of the budget process are being prepared: ie; disability compensation & claims processing, dependent compensation (DIC), education, pension, housing and employment benefits.

We all need to effectively confront ALL politicians with the plain truth. When they tell us, with all the other pressing government obligations and the decreases in revenues from massive tax reductions, our Nation cannot afford to honor its debt to disabled veterans, we must hit with the plain truth that no smokescreen can obscure?that veterans are a top priority, that veterans? programs are a continuing cost of national defense, that this countrys' citizens will not accept excuses for reneging on our obligation to disabled veterans.

########

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2004, 03:38 PM

Default To 39m...

To answer your question of what I am "going to do with this info"...

As the Managing Editor of the Veterans Journal, I am trying to get a sense of what issues veterans consider important to them, as veterans.

Part of our mission is to provide our veteran readership with news and information we believe is vital to them. If it is true that veterans only see the VA budget issues as being vital in their mind, then that is worthy of note; if other issues are more important, then it seems that we should be following those issues as well.

I understand a lot of vets do find "motorcycles and women" are THE most important things to concern themselves with, but even when pressed, I believe they too will come up with some interesting topics that may or may not have already been addressed.

Again, no other goal is being pursued other than that of getting a sense of what veterans believe is/are important.

Most veterans have earned great respect; especially for their wisdom and insight. And sadly, and way too often, those opinions and thoughts go unnoticed by both the mainstream press and our elected officials... So maybe we can change that in the future. (those who say change can't happen have not read their history)

Hardball
www.veteransjournal.net.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:36 PM

Default Veterans Survey

In checking out the Veterans Journal Advisory Board I see a familiar name, James Stodola. Jim was the San Diego County Veterans Service Officer and during Jim's tenure as CVSO, the Calif. Assn of County Veterans Service Officers (CACVSO) conducted a survey of veterans throughout Calif. to determine what issues were of importance to veterans. The survey was not limited to veteran issues but to any and all issues that veterans considered important. We had responses from 3,142 veterans. The survey was conducted in late 2001 and released in 2002. I had the privilege of being the President of the CACVSO when the results were released. Here is what the survey showed as being important to veterans in Calif.

1. National Defense
2. The financial stability and soundness of our Social Security system
3. Reducing crime at all levels
4. Accessible medical care for all veterans
5. Paying our active duty military personnel a living wage
6. Morality and integrity in government
7. Addressing the healthcare needs of our military retirees
8. Care for the elderly
9. Increased veteran's benefits
10. Affordable healthcare for all American

If you would like to view the entire survey you can find it at:

http://www.cacvso.org/New%20Information1.htm

"Click on Veterans Profile 2001"

Next time you see Jim, tell him Bill from Solano said Hey.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:49 PM

Default To Billr....

Thank you sir,

Jim Stodola is a good man. And I thank you for the link.

Hardball
Old 04-05-2004, 08:20 PM

Thumbs up My top Three...or Four

1. Do away with the VA hospitals and give our vets an HMO or PPO plan so they can see the doctor of their chosing and receive care of the same standard as any tax paying citizen and no longer be treated as second class citizens.

2. Pay our veterans a salary on which they can support themselves and their families. A Ssgt (E5) should not be elegible for food stamps nor require them mearely to survive. Especially since these people are so willing to step into harms way so the rest of us don't have to.

3. Pay our RESERVISTS! Many of these men and women work high tech jobs or own their own businesses and are required to take a pay cut in order to meet the military obligations. Their families should not have to suffer any more than they already do from having their families torn apart. Congress passed a bill authorizing this differential pay and then recinded it as soon as the pentagon presented them with the bill. Pay UP!

4. Give our vets re-entering the civilian sector some very good employment assistance. From resume advice to offering recruiter/headhunter services.

LT - where does the beer fit in with your choices?
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
Old 04-05-2004, 08:57 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default fianally,...

... a thread seeking a conversation that supports a future presence, and it is being contribututed into by all,...

...I'd like to see Gimpy, and Superscout run on the same ticket together as Co- Presidents,kicking each other's a$$ , but presenting "information", always in a progressive nature...

...Your both diggers of information, and thank you Bill R for putting out a current poll of similar information requested, this is a combining effort of a positive nature,...

...Amen,...

...Thanks Hardball for opening a diffucult conversation, and being Gentlemanly,....

..."Here's the ball, now run with it",...

I'm just playing Henry Clay,...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

Old 04-06-2004, 06:16 AM

Three issues?

1. Get more backing from the Civies and get them to understand the issues at hand with the VET's and their families.

2. Run continuous TV and Newpaper ads to make them (Civies) aware of the sacrafices our men and women have made to keep this country safe from those who would do her harm. This provision should also cover those Police and Firemen who've taken on the responsiblity for our internal affairs.

3. Amend or make some Bill to protect those who've served, to ensure cost free medical care is always there, to give them priority when jobs are scarce, and to support the incapciatated and their familes especially when their loved ones are taken away.

These are my thoughts.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 04-06-2004, 10:14 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Gimpy,

I will bow to your wisdom on this. I have not seen nor researched any of the studies. I've just had the misfortune to have 2 major VA operations. In the first one the docs were great but were all from Georgetown University, not the VA. The hospital, Washington DC, was filthy, the care terrible, and the nurses abusive. It was a nightmare. The other was the last time I will ever use a VA Hospital and the care was awful and the doctor a butcher. This is why I pay extra for Blue Cross/Blue Shield and I shouldn't have to. Again, just my personal experience but if it would hurt all vets....then I understand and thank you for the information. I withdraw #1 and replace it with manditory funding and an end to the DVA funding football.

Thanks buddy!

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 04-06-2004, 10:22 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default No problem

Mah Deah Suthern Brother!

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:38 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post My Greatest concern:

Now that I am within 18 months of 60.

1. Rising Health Care Costs
2. Will My retirement match inflation
3. The Moral state of America - three decades of decay.
What is going to happen to America in 50 years.

Keith