The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-19-2010, 01:21 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default In The Land Of Nine Dragons

IN THE LAND OF NINE DRAGONS.

The history of the 2nd Battalion, 60th Infantry, Ninth Division in Southeast Asia, 1966-1970 . My old unit.

This new book about the history of my battalion in Vietnam and Cambodia is being printed and is scheduled to be back from the printer on 20 July 2010.

A friend of mine who served during some of the same time periods and the same places I did is an associate editor and sent me the latest info on the new book. Bob Vargas, who was also in the Recon platoon and now resides in Arizona. They sent me the latest info on it and I just ordered my copy.

The book has 489 total pages, page size of 8.5" X 11", a soft cover, and is perfect bound.

The history includes 36 maps, 64 pictures, 58 sidebars of topical interest, complete text of all of the battalion's unit citations, and the locations & names 34 base camps, TOCs, patrol bases & S-4 locations of the 2/60 Inf.

The history also includes a Memorial Roll (those who gave their lives) with 349 names, a Medically Retired List with 244 names, and rosters with more than 5,700 names.

If anyone would like more information about the contents of the book, for information about how to purchase the book, and for contact points for any questions please go to these websites at:

http://www.260TanTru.com

http://www.260tantru.com/PDFs/SalesInfo.pdf

"SCOUTS OUT"!

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2010, 05:24 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Hats off to the 9th ID , Gimp ! Believe 3/5th Cav must have been the last of the 9th ID to go home. I was still wearing the 9th ID patch , on my left shoulder , when we got back from Lam Son 719 in April 71
Old 07-20-2010, 05:47 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up Thanks John

We ARE truly "brothers" in arms, for sure...........Hope to see you on the "mountain" this coming fall!

"SCOUTS OUT"!

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Old 07-20-2010, 12:19 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Congrats to all the veterans of the 2-60th Infantry! It really is about time that more units of the 9th Infantry Division started getting the recognition they rightfully deserve. One of the original division commanders had a policy of minimal awards, being eclipsed by the 1st Cav, any Special Forces unit, and the Marines, among others, in the numbers of awards for valor or for service. It was only during the MG Julian J. Ewell era that this policy changed for the better.

If you have the oopportunity, Gimpy, to ever attend a 60th Infantry Regimental reunion, by all means go - the fun that we have at the 47th Infantry Regimental reunions cannot be matched! Even Doc 2-47 had a great time there, his first visit to the Reunion! I"m currently having a ball, helping to plan for the next one!

Old Reliables Rule, and the Really Old Reliables rule more slowly!
Scouts Out!!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 07-20-2010, 12:37 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up Thanks Scout

You're right. I was planning to attend this years reunion in San Diego, but alas.....my orthopedic doctor is "frowning" on that idea. My old re-built hip is the culprit. It seem to be in need of some serious re-construction and the Doc has hence forbidden me from such lengthy trips until such time he is comfortable with my "recovery" from the forced "no weight" rule on that leg----OR another surgery ---- whichever comes first.

I know Doc Hal had a great time at your reunion as he has stated in the past.

I look forward to when the 2/60th's reunion will be held a little further "east" and closer to my home so I can attend the next one.

And, you're also right about "OLD RELIABLES RULE"!

"SCOUTS OUT"............

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"