The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-30-2003, 05:21 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Ain't no disrespect or diservice here . Think the lizards were winning when I left .
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2003, 06:13 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Quote:
Originally posted by blues clues James where I will agree with you about some of the people who made career of the army, but if you look around there are people like that in every walk of life myself ALWAYS tryed to be fair to my men sometimes I failed and I've never regretted my decision to stay in.
razz
Razz--you bet yr ass there are people like that in all walks of life.
What I learned in the army was never to get myself in a position where I couldn't tell them to shove it and walk away. That was the part I never regretted the most. I have done this, by the way, as you might guess, I couldn't live without this freedom.
I salute all professional soldiers who did it as a profession, I knew many, some of them are my heroes still. these are the people who do well when they retire.
But it was just not for me

james
Old 12-01-2003, 06:55 PM

Amen.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 09:41 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Just my .07c worth..

As regards the U.S. military, in many ways the Vietnam "conflict" was an aberration...

...from the with-holding of the Reserves and the National Guard... to the "Instant-NCOs ( Shake-and-Bake )...to the 6 month rotation of officers...to the wholesale use of "draftees" to fill trigger-puller positions....to the "off limits" approach to so much of the enemy's resources....to the base camps in the middle of an active war-zone.. to the use of all out air-assault ( B-52s ) only after 8 years of ground combat...and all the rest....

In my opinion, anything pertaining to "lifers, "career soldiers", or "professional soldiers", during that period of time, has to be explained in the context of the times. There was nothing before, and hopefully will never be, another situation like that one.

Larry
Old 12-03-2003, 05:25 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Lifers

I forgot how sencitive people that were going to stay in the military were to that word. Its just what people call the ones that stayed, I don't think it was ment to be hatefull its just what they were called, (behind there backs) .
I remember calling this old crusty E-6 that at one of our base camp, he said he was going to get me a artical 15. Never did though, C-O must have told him NO.
Guys would re-up for all sorts of reasons. A great majority of the ones that re-uped and volinteerd to go back to VN in a Base camp , did it to make rank. If you were going to stay in the military VN was the place to be for rank.
Now the subject of effecting the war in VN. I belive that Majors and E-8 effected the war very much. They slaped there buddies on the back with more rank and medals for just being there while the ones doing the fighting had to pay for that. We had a Major come to our unit in the field un announced and the chopper caught a poncho liner. Our LT was in camp the next day to check on re-supply and happened to see the report on what happened, according to the Major, His aircraft was damaged and went down in hostal territory, He put himself in for the CIB and purple heart because he tore his pants and scratched his knee. Know when his LT.Col patch comes up he has some stuff on his record.
And its not fair to through a blanket over ALL E8 and Majors, so I'll say SOME or the Majority. Some people stayed in and did more than what was expected of them, I just didn't see to much of this kind of Carrier military person.
Does that explain it better?

Ron