The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-13-2002, 08:34 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default I've got this buddy named Richie

He was in my company in Vietnam. He is one of the several Tom Breaux and I have located. We have talked for a few months and I finally got up the courage to ask him a favor. I've had some doubts about the facts in the poem I wrote called Bluebird and I asked him among others to read the poem here and tell me if it is true to the facts. I got his reply and he said that it was true as far as he remembered. Then he told me he had a tape. It is a tape of Benbow rapping (in 1969!) and interviewing most of the guys in our company during a rocket attack on Feb 23, 1969 in Bien Hoa. He sent me the tape and it is a treasure to me. Imagine after a third of a century getting 40 minutes of the guys talking and cutting up! My son is somewhat of a computer nerd and is trying to clear up some of the noise. Benbow recorded the tape over a tape his family had sent to him. It was a mixture of both. Rockets exploding and babies cooing. I am not sure yet what to do with it yet but it is a work of art. I have been so blessed, first with you people and lately with the guys from Charlie Med.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2002, 09:24 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up Thanks for sharing!

Aren't old friends wonderful.

Keith
Old 10-14-2002, 07:12 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

And - ........... I have been blessed to meet you. Thank you , Doc. Peace.
Old 10-15-2002, 06:51 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Doc

We have all been blessed since getting together on this sight. It's wonderful that you've been able to meet up with your buddies from "over there". The times that Deb and I have spent with you and Shirley, Cutis, the Andy Family, and the Sgt. Tropo's have been honored times for Deb and I. I can't wait to meet the rest of the guys and gals and am envious of your trip to Seattle where you'll meet up with Griz and the Northwest Mounted Psychovets. Someday for Deb and I. Still hoping that Frisco and the other Westcoasties can also get East. Can't wait to be retired. Just wish I could do it without getting any older.

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 10-15-2002, 10:28 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Post Doc

MAKE COPIES!
In the field, on our APC we had an Akia reel to reel tape recorder. Had a tape of a minor fire fight - lots of rifle and machine-gun fire, radio chatter, the sound of a Cobra cutting loose from right over head and a couple of guys making comments.
Someone, no names, but I married her, saw it when cleaning the house, knew we didn't have a reel to reel and placed it in the trash.
MAKE COPIES! You might want to mark it, "The many reasons I love my wife." That way it will never get lost!
Enjoy it.

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 10-15-2002, 10:45 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

David my son and computer nerd.....

He has aspirations to being a recording magnate. He has all this stuff I don't know what is. He has fallen in love with the tape and is determined to clean up some of the noise and enhace some of the conversation. He told me it is 40 minutes and 11 seconds long. He has his own web site and when he is done I'll post how to access it. He also has a pet fish named Steve that can't swim and just crawls around on the bottom of the tank.
Old 10-15-2002, 12:05 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 
Default Fred

Try putting a little water in there with Steve...He might just surprise you.

Peace,Griz
Old 10-16-2002, 06:44 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Griz

ROTFLOL! Thanks for makin' my day.

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)