The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Veterans > Veterans Memorials

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-26-2003, 09:49 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Sgt Frank William Skokan US ARMY July 28,1951 Aug 10,2003

Frank William Skokan AKA XGRUNT joined the Army Jan 9,1970 in Atlanta,GA.Did 8 weeks of basic training and 8 weeks of Advanced Infantry Training at Fort Polk,LA. High scores got him into the Infantry Leaders Course(12 weeks) at Fort Benning,GA.Arriving in Republic of South Vietnam March 25,1971,Infantry,Buck Sgt E-5 or "Shake and Bake".Assigned to 3/506th 101st AIRBORNE DIVISION.Voluteered to go to Recon Platoon and was accepted even with no field experiece,3/506th needed NCO's.Franks job required him and 5 more members to be inserted by chopper into the jungle and then stay hidden for 15 to 20 days.Their job is to report, be the eyes and ears for the 506th.A job that kept you tired,on edge and stresed at all times.A very dangerous job.In the fall of 1971 he was on Firebase Rifle when the NVA tried to take it.Many of his patrols were ambush actions.He was reassigned to Recon 1/501 101st in May 1971.His job there was the same,6 man patrols,20 days of bush. He left Vietnam Jan 30,1972 and was Honorably Discharged Jan 31,1972.Was awarded and his most prized possession the Combat Infantry Badge,The Bronze Star Metal,Air Metal,Vietnam Service Metal,National Defense Service Metal.Frank was very proud of his service to his country
Old 09-04-2008, 08:51 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Well Frank it's a month past due but I'm still thinkin about you as we all do. Ran into Russ Hambley on the net but haven't been able to get in touch since. Hope you've come to terms cause I haven't and don't know if I will, but I'll just take a few more baby steps even on those big hills.

Doc Urb

'Time does not heal all wounds but forgiveness will heal all time.'-"The Disappearence Of The Universe"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:15 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Back to the top. Thanks for being my friend , my brother. Bikes running fine as you know.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:32 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Still talking to you Frank. Got a 24 year old Harley trained mechanic keeping your bike in great shape. I used to take him camping and fishing when he was 7. " Riding in memory of "Frank
'Torch" Skokan
Old 07-28-2010, 09:09 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up Happy Birthday Frank !!

Happy Birthday , Brother. Sat in your chair up in the mountains last week end. Doc Urb sent me some pictures of you from the recon platoon you two were in , in Vietnam. Got yours and Andys pictures in my office and still think of you often. Will raise a glass to toast you tonight ! Scouts Out !!
Old 10-24-2010, 01:05 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Well Frank, I'm late again. Happy late birthday. I was out walking the other day and remembered LT telling me about "baby steps". I needed that. Thanks Bro.

Doc Urb

'Time does not heal all wounds but forgiveness will heal all time.'-"The Disappearence Of The Universe"
Old 10-25-2010, 06:12 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Thanks Doc. Rode his bike yesterday and it was a beautiful day. Still got his chair up in the mountains. Love to sit in it and watch the sunset and remember. Still smile thinking of him riding the Harley into a lake. Know he is smiling at us every day
Old 03-16-2011, 12:58 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up Frank

Getting warm here in Atlanta. Got your bike out of my neighbors garage and got it standing tall and ready to ride. Might even coach my grandson into a ride this year.Think of you often , brother.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:01 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Frank,

Well brother I'm either late, early, or somewhere in between. Call me superstitous. Found Doc Hicks living 40 minutes away and he says "Hi". Our female dog died the day before my 59th birthday 2 yrs ago but I got to say goodbye. Our male (her pup)died this summer the day after FSB Rifle got hit and I didn't get to say goodbye. You know I think we all understand the finiteness of life as a prerequisite for occupying these meatbags we wear and I have had a handle since childhood on the infiniteness of consciousness expressed through these meatbags. What I don't get is why we can't always say goodbye the way we'd like to? Still miss ya man and I'll be saying goodbye for a long time to come.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:23 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

You are just about right on Doc Urb. Been 8 years ago today he passed on and I still miss him too. Don't understand it either but if my Mom was here she would be saying " It's not your will son it's His and it's not your way it's His way" .Frank loved you as his brother , you were one of the first of his friends I learned about when I met him . We will both miss him . He has gone on but as long as people remember him he will never die. Peace Brother. Keep Movin !