Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-26-2002, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default Va Claims Start To Finish One Mans Experience

arrow

Registered to :Aug 21, 2001
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brother I moved this to the vet concern folder as it was getting lost in the computer area...

VA claims. Start to finish. On man's experience.
Deadmanwalking

Registered to :Nov 25, 2001
Posted 03-01-2002 at 12:15
------------
over the years I have met many veterans, dependants and friends of veterans that have been baffeled by the Veterans Administration pension and claims division. Some guys didn't even understand what was written in the notices they recieved mostly because the form letters are written in VAese. Which can turn you around or make you crazy somtimes. Pensions and compensation was created by congress to aid veterans in their struggle against physical or mental wounds recieved during service or exaserbated becouse of servic duty. It is not a handout, chairity, welfare or free. It is something that has been earned. TWICE , once whrn the event occurred and again when you go through the fight to prove to the Veterans Administration something they already know. So if anyone out there is swimming around in the sea of government Beauracracy. I may have some answers that will help. Can't guarantee anything but I can try to help you. I will be in an out of this site if you have a question or need some help in regards to your claim. "The war you fight, for the war you fought!"........Deadmanwalking P.S. 100% service connected for PTSD, AO Cancer since 1993 Would rather be workin' but this is the card I got dealt. "Semper Fi"

------------
Profile www Edit Qoute ip
larrysearight

Registered to :Aug 22, 2001
Posted 03-01-2002 at 13:06
------------
Deadmanwalking,

I would like to add that it also takes time. From the first piece of paper to reopen my claim (Sept. 2000) to the final award letter(Oct. 2001) was almost 13 months. Had 5 or so letters stating everything was going fine and a decision would be made as soon as possible. I'm not complaining but the wheels are slow moving. So don't expect to happen over night. It takes time!!!!

Semper Fi to you,

------------
Profile Edit Qoute ip
GoldenDragon

Registered to :Aug 22, 2001
Posted 03-01-2002 at 19:34
------------
Things are getting somewhat better with the VA. A lot of people don't realize that the state you live in when you file your claim can make a huge difference. Some states are notoriously slow and inept. That is because the claims are handled at each states Regional office. I filed in N.C. in 1994 and it took me 5 years to reach 100%. During the middle of my claim I found out N.C. was one of the slowest and most mistake prone states in the country. I also found out once you file a claim it has to stay in the state you filed it in. In 1998 the N C Regional office received a royal ass chewing from the V A in Washington and things got better. 73% of the claims sent to Washington on appeal were returned to N C because they contained errors or had inadequate investigation. I never sent my claim to Washinton because they were 600,000 claims behind at the time. The only smart thing I did was kept it in NC. That is the last thing a veteran needs when they are already suffering from PTSD.
My claim was documented up the Ya Ya but the Regional office always wanted "something" else. I called my Congressman finally and I was Service connected at 100% within a week. They hope you will give up and go away. They make it so hard and stressful that 62% of the claimants do exactly that. That is a crime. The Washington V A to their credit is cracking down on that type of behavior.
Still, patience is the keyword on any claim. The Federal wheels turn slowly at best.
In my case it worked out, the nimrods wound up paying me back pay at 100% for 5 years. It made a nice fat lump sum and I went out and bought a house since I have two small kids.
I agree with you. It is a shame the VA makes veterans fight two wars to get what they already earned.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Profile Qoute
SEATJERKER

Registered to :Aug 23, 2001
Posted 30-01-2002 at 23:06
... Filed back in Oct, of 99, and has ben working my ass off to prove my claim, and here it is 30 months later, I get they word that I "won"...,( and here's your prize, thanks for playing, and here's your home version of tonight's game)...
... Have no Idea yet,... ( Harry, tell the man with the GAF of 40/50 what he wins)...
... why, it's his, and her's toasters, just like the bank gives you when you open an account of $100.00 or more during the months that start with "P"...
...And again, thanks to all our contestants for playing the long version of our game...
... Still holding my breath, but not for much longer I hope
-----------------
Egress// Last chance for life

Profile Qoute
JHMII

Registered to :Aug 27, 2001
Posted 31-01-2002 at 21:34
You know Ya'll I have 2 service con. One on PTSD 30% now And one for upper arm cond. 30%, of which I collect 50% total. I re-opened the PTSD claim Jan 01 went thru the PTSD inhouse 6 week program in Oct. had my C&P last May and still they have me as being in review. I"ve had 2 jobs since Oct. they just don't work out. Now the VA wants me to do a 12 week PTSD out-patient program 1 time a week for 4hrs I'm tired of going thru the same thing over and over. It's getting old. The VA Med side say more Medication. the VA regional say we need more time. How am I suppose to work make all the Appoinments and take all the goof pills? It's a no win thing.
Jim
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links