The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-27-2006, 06:16 AM

Default High School Jr ROTC Job = $ 87,080 a year

In the editorial of this morning Times Picayune, there's a write-up by a Jr ROTC Instructor with the Jefferson Parish Public Schools which is one of the suburb Parishes of New Orleans.
His article is about clarification of his salary which some teachers feel he's being overpaid. He claims JPPS pays him $53,306 per year and the Air Force pays him $33,774 per year because his job is for eleven months per year. He claims he's a retired Air Force Colonel with 28 years of service. Bear in mind, he doesn't mention anything about the salary he's getting from the Air Force being connected to his retirement pension.

I was shocked when I saw this article. The schools thinks having a job that teaches kids how to march, shoot a rifle, how to make a bunk military way, discussing war tactics is more valuable than teaching kids algerbra, geametry, trigonometry, history, science, etc.

And here I'm thinking, "what does the school or the school board get in return for teaching these kids about military life" ?
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2006, 06:27 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Jr. ROTC is grooming our younger generation for what will be expected of them should they decide to make the military their career. Im totally for the program.
I think the big question is: What do we get as citizens?. Hopefully better leadership in tomorrows military.
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 09-27-2006, 06:36 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Better leadership overall

I certainly agree with the program, Maybe the pay is a little on the up side. Jr ROTC will make them better leaders in society not just the military.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:47 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

With an overabundance of hyperbole in the current anti-military environment, I'd first check the data posted by the newspaper against a factual source. Secondly, assuming the figures are correct, I'd respond with a resounding "so what?" Compare the final product of what junior ROTC produces vs. the other subject matter that the school allegedly imparts to the students.

The larger question remains unasked: just why are we paying teachers to little in comparison to other occupations that contribute nothing or little to the common good? The pathetic disparity in salary between teachers and first responders vs. professional athletes and rap performers shows a warped societal value system.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 09-27-2006, 07:35 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

If he is a retired AF Col...then he probably is at least at Masters level education wise. Hard to make Bird without one these days. So, he would be entitled to what a Masters level teacher gets. Because he is teaching doesn't mean that he should not get his retirement from the AF. He did the time.

I don't believe the school cares more about marching, shooting, etc. It gives those students that want it even more education that could lead to a career as a military person other than a gang member. You could ask the same about colleges that offer ROTC. What do they get back? Better citizens as a whole. Actually you could ask what do they get back from graduating someone that didn't go to JR ROTC.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 09-27-2006, 07:40 AM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Completely for it.

Assuming these figures are correct, about time the military gets ahead for a change and not what is left at the bottom of the barrel, as usual.

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 09-27-2006, 08:36 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

In our schools around here in high school there is Army, Navy, Af, and Marine JR Rotc, the Navy JR Rotc is a retired CPO (BMC), and the Marine JR ROTC is a LT COL (infantry), the Army JR Rotc is a SFC (Ret Artillery type). I don't know the AF JR ROTC instructor as I have not met him.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).
Old 09-27-2006, 09:17 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post My Neighbor

Is an ROTC instructor at the University. I'll check on his salary. But I believe he gets his regular military salary and benefits as he is active duty assigned here.

However, the salary package does seem somewhat high.

$53,306 would be fairly normal pay for a teacher with a masters degree.
I don't understand the $33,774 from the Air Force.
But, his retirement is earned and that can't be touched.

That $33,774 does seem a little strange.

Keith