Old 05-11-2004, 07:10 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Cool Drill instructors find more in common than yelling

Drill instructors find more in common than yelling
Submitted by: MCRD Parris Island
Story Identification Number: 20045783651
Story by Lance Cpl. Justin J. Shemanski

MCRD/ERR PARRIS ISLAND, S.C.(May 7, 2004) -- Those who join the Marine Corps travel all over the world, experiencing many new sights and sounds. They come from every corner of the United States and form a common bond that is the foundation of the Corps, but for some, the bond develops into something special.

For two Marines, that bond began on the drill field at Parris Island.

"We started dating about two years ago this month and will be married a year July 12," said Staff Sgt. James Curran, senior drill instructor for Platoon 1036, Alpha Co., 1st RTBn. "We were both graduating platoons and met during exchange guidons. It just so happened that her platoon was right in front of mine, so when we were all lined up, she was right in front of me and we just started talking."

His wife, Staff Sgt. Amy Curran, senior drill instructor for platoon 4012, Oscar Co., 4th RTBn., said that a couple of Marines' failure to execute a drill movement correctly allowed her to meet her future husband.

"We had to keep saying the 'diddies' over and over again and had to keep getting back in formation because someone wasn't doing something right, so that gave us a little time," said Amy. "We started talking and hit it off."

Timing and coincidence would continue to play an important role in developing their relationship.

"Our platoons were on track with each other's, so after graduation, all the drill instructors went out that night," said James. "We started talking again and took it from there."

It looked like a good match right from the start. Their schedules worked great with each other's, allowing them to spend a good amount of time with each other while still being active in their drill instructor duties.

"Fortunately, the timing worked out great," he said. "When we first started dating, I was working ... I had a platoon and she was on quota, so she had all the extra time off to take care of me. Then when I went on quota, she started working, which was great too because I had the time off to take care of the house and take care of her."

The Curran's feel that their relationship ran smoother because they were both drill instructors.

"It works out great with us both being drill instructors because I know what he's going through and he knows what I'm going through on a daily basis," said Amy. "It's more understanding. If one of us doesn't come home for three nights in a row until 10 p.m., we don't really worry where the other is because we know things can come up. That's just part of being a drill instructor."

Both being on the drill field may help make things easier on their relationship, but both share a competitive spirit, which has developed in a drill field rivalry.

"We try to keep our work at work," said Amy. "But we both took our platoons out to final drill this time, and we kind of bragged about our scores a little bit."

The couple believes fresh emotions and new obstacles will arise upon completion of their drill instructor tours.

"I think when I leave, I'm going to miss being a drill instructor a lot," said Amy. "It's not necessarily going to be easier in [MCB Camp Lejeune] either."

James is happy to be leaving the drill field, but agrees with Amy about the new challenges awaiting them at MCB Camp Lejeune.

"It's going to be nice leaving the drill field ... not working seven days a week," said James. "We are both going to Lejeune after our tours are up, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will be easier than it is here. I'm going to be with 2nd Force Reconnaissance, so we will have to deal with deployments."

"After leaving here, it's going to put new stresses on the marriage, but I don't believe it will be anything we can't deal with," He added. "One of the pluses is that we will have our weekends to ourselves, allowing us to plan trips or relax at the beach for the day and do family things."

James is happy to move on in his Marine Corps career and is grateful for his marriage to Amy. As for getting married while dealing with the busy schedule of a drill instructor, James said he'd tell anyone to "take the tour" if they felt it was right.

"Love is love, no matter what you're doing," he said. "It doesn't matter what the other person's job is, but if you're in a situation like ours, you need to have your priorities straight."

James explained that they both know where to draw the line between their personal life and their work environment.

"We both understand that when we're at work, work is first ... we have to be professionals," said James. She's obviously my number one priority over all, but when we're at work, our main priority is to train recruits to become United States Marines. At night, when we leave the gate, that's when we go home and have a personal life."

Sergeant Latisha Fanklin, who is a drill instructor alongside Staff Sgt. Curran with Platoon 4012, shared her opinion of the Curran's marriage.

"I think it's awesome," said Franklin. "It's great they are able to do what they do everyday and still have a good marriage. It's great how two people like them can come here from different places, not even knowing anyone, meet each other on the drill field and get married. I think it's a good thing."

Staff Sgt. James Curran, senior drill instructor for Platoon 1036, Alpha Co., 1st RTBn., watches his recruits practice punches at the Page Field Marine Corps Martial Arts Program station during a portion of the Crucible April 28. Curran found his match on the drill field in the form of an Oscar Co. drill instructor and married her July 12, 2003.
Photo by: Lance Cpl. Justin J. Shemanski

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn20...A?opendocument

Ellie
1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links