Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default MDude

Old 11-06-2003, 10:43 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Okay guys -
Here's another approach to the topic which really really has been on my mind a long while...

>Given that historical accuracy (e.g. a Dragoon's garment being green and not something else) IS utterly accessible to all who find themselves responsible for cinematic continuity, then why in hell do they NOT attend to it!

> Has there EVER been a military film which DOES faithfully portray everything? If so, which one(s)?

Hmmmmmmm?
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 11:36 AM

Same reason you see M48s in WW2 movies instead of Shermans, I guess - it's cheaper to use what you got than scrounge up what you don't. Movies are supposed to be entertainment, not history. They are under no compulsion to portray things accurately, or even to tell a true story.

Until they do away with musical soundtracks and introduce "smell-o-vision", there will never be a realistic war movie anyway - which is just fine by me.

I threw fruit at my television when I saw the Patriot. It's so typically "Mel" to rewrite history upside down. The southern war was brutal on both sides. Murders, rapes, tarring and feathering (sounds funny, but I bet it was ghastly) were common on both sides. Not everybody wanted to be free of England, probably less than half, especially in the South. So much for democratic principles.

As for psy-war, isn't it funny that revolutionaries are called "Patriots"? They had spin doctors even then...
Old 11-06-2003, 11:47 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

"Kelly's Heroes" ( Clint Eastwood ) seemed to be accurate as far as gear..

Larry
Old 11-07-2003, 11:41 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default Des and Bluehawk

Old 11-07-2003, 11:58 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Dan -
Interesting, verrrrrrrry interesting...

So, they hate re-enactors, and they do not comprehend the real deal guys either one... and everybody (every kid like I was, FASCINATED by military films and believing every damn image I saw literally) who sees such films and has not seen the elephant has no choice but to accept the validity of what they are witnessing, and... crap, I could go on forever.

Thanks to you and Des for shedding some light... maybe when I get up to Michigan to polish off my museum career this month I'll get to see about joining up with some Civil War re-enactors... don't think they'll have much of a Reb side up there though...
Old 11-07-2003, 12:44 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Mike :

I noticed the reference to Michigan in your newsletter. I thought the lady was moving ? Are you also ?

larry
Old 11-07-2003, 01:41 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Hi Larry!

No, I'll be going there end of next week, then my Lady Carol will follow when I have located her a home suitable to her needs. It will be probably my last career move... 33 years is a long time, but a truly wonderful post and place. You have the address and web, I believe.

I'll keep you informed via ARTHROBS... thanks for asking. I'll be out of touch on PF for some time after next Thursday, but only temporarily.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:26 AM

I don't think that the filmgoing audience would watch a war movie that was completely accurate. It's the old adage of war being mostly boredom with moments of sheer terror. You have to slog through the mud to get to that sheer terror, and they don't want to do that. It's not the "adreneline rush" they spent their $$$ for. So we see Hollywood trying to "bridge the gaps," making major battles every day occurances, generals who look and act like George C. Scott in Patton, cargo airplanes (pre C-5) with second levels where people fight to the death, Panzers that loomed larger than a house, soldiers that are always put together like Arnold, and the quietest weapons and explosions that weapons could ever make so as not to interfere with the dialog.

But maybe in truth you just can't recreate war in a movie. Reenactors come closest, for sure...they know the smell of the gunpowder the heft of a sword. But what movie could ever capture the essence of war? It's like the smell of Vietnam. People who've been there during the war might know what I'm talking about. I can't describe it. You can't see it. But whenever I watch a movie about Vietnam, I smell it.

Can't put that on film.

Jake
Old 01-27-2004, 10:13 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

How in hell do you keep pickin' out these old threads in the way you do Jake?