The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-13-2005, 11:31 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default New Mexico sues Texas over disputed land

The state Senate in NM has passed a bill urging the Attorney General to sue the state of TX regarding a bothced land survey in 1859. The Texas towns of Farwell, Bledsoe, Bronco and Texline are within the strip of disputed land.

Some have said that the lifes of the town people in those town would be greatly improved. From a few people I know that live in Texline is that many people plan to move if the land is given to NM.

They can kiss my Texan A@@ and get over it. It has been 146 years, they just want it for there high property taxes.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2005, 08:01 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

My GGGrUncle MB Brown is buried in the Memorial Park Cemetery in Dalhart,TX and
NM better not disturb the panhandle too much are a bunch of Confederate Ghost might just rise up and let them know what for I'm in agreement of the reasoning that they just want to appropriate some more tax dollars for NM !
Old 03-14-2005, 04:13 AM
Doc.2/47

Texans got a thing about land.Old Mexicans couldn't hold on to it and I don't believe any New Mexicans are gonna have much luck tryin ta any away.The Texans whuped a country,don't think a State would be much of a challenge.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:54 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I used to live about 7 miles from Farwell in Clovis, New Mexico. It would be a dump in either state. I wonder why Texico is not included in the dispute?
Old 03-16-2005, 11:10 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

PATTERSON TO NEW MEXICO ATTORNEYS: ?COME AND TAKE IT?

AUSTIN (glo.state.tx.us) ? Jerry Patterson, Commissioner of the Texas General Land Office, has challenged New Mexico senators to come to Texas and duke it out with their Texas counterparts. He was responding to their threats of land-grabbing litigation.

?I say to the New Mexico Senate what proud Texians at Gonzales told Santa Anna in 1835: Come and take it,? Patterson said. (The actual "Come and Take It" incident involved a samll cannon that the Mexican Army had loaned the citizens of Gonzales, Texas, to help them ward off marauding Comanches. When war with the Texican appeared imminent, the Mexican government wanted the cannon back, and the citizens of Gonzales responded with true grit.)

On Tuesday, according to the El Paso Times, the New Mexico Senate voted to sue Texas over a 146-year-old border dispute. Senators also discussed taking Texas groundwater, as well as the entire West Texas town of El Paso.

The bill senators passed directs the state?s attorney general to sue for the return of land, as well as compensation for mineral rights, oil and gas royalties, property taxes and grazing privileges.

The dispute centers on more than 603,000 acres in West Texas that New Mexico legislators complain were lost in a flawed survey. In 1859, a surveyor established the nation's 103rd meridian as the border between Texas and New Mexico. But, to the benefit of Texas, he then set the actual boundary farther west ? 2.29 miles in some places, 3.77 miles in others. Today, the Texas towns of Farwell, Texline, Bledsoe and Bronco lie within the strip, along with a lot of undeveloped oil and grazing land.

The senate bill?s sponsor, Sen. Shannon Robinson, told the El Paso Times he also disputes the southern border of Texas. In 1850, he noted, New Mexico lawmakers relied on the memories of sheepherders when it came to setting the boundary. Texas brought in several surveyors and engineers, and a water master relied on the Texans? data when setting the boundary where the Rio Grande was at the time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 03-16-2005, 12:41 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Isn't there a statue of limitations of lawsuits?

It's a big to do about nothing. The New Mexico lawmakers don't have anything better to do. They must of got tired of watching the grass grow.

Whether you can sue or not usually has a time limitation. I'd think that a statue of limitations had long passed.

Keith
Old 03-16-2005, 01:10 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Take it from somebody who lived there, the grass doesn't grow. It is born dead, grows dead and dies dead. However, it is prime jackrabbit grazing land. That and the prairie dogs. It is the only place I ever saw flocks of owls. They did these fifty bird attacks on the prairie dog towns, I guess. Kind of like WWII and raids over Germany.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:39 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default keith

Doc Fred's about right on the dead grass syndrome. Fact of the matter is that the NM legislators are still pining for excitement since the Texas Democrat legislators ventured over there few months back in their traditional obfuscating maneuver. Obviously, they wore out their welcome in Oklahoma, so had to try acting like a big shot in NM. A psychologist friend of mine told me that when the Texas Democrats left NM, the state-wide IQ rose there, but declined precipitously in Texas!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 03-16-2005, 01:48 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Texas

Come and take it, I agree.

With the help of a bunch of Tenn Boys Texas became a country. New Mexico can try but tryen ain't Doen.
Kieth, The Indians still want New York back, Personally I say give it to them.
And the French are bitchen about the 5million Jefferson gave to Napolian .

Come and take it.

Ron
Old 03-16-2005, 02:01 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

I like the area I live in. Dalhart is not far away, nice little town.

Just a bunch of people wasting tax payers money.