The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Police/Fire/EMS

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-20-2003, 11:56 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Andy , I went to college in TN, stationed in ft's Campbell and Knox , wife from Nashville ,TN , children born in KY and TN , been in Atlanta for 23 years , I guess it just slipped in. ( my daughters still make me say "coffee" for their friends ) Super , I am honored and accept your most generous gesture. See y'all over yonder or through the winder, hear.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2003, 01:56 PM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Lt...never heard what your exact military history is but as we used to say at NCO call and what i now demand at fire meetings "Whatever is said in house, stays in house" so let it all out brother, we are here for ya!!

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 06-20-2003, 02:06 PM
Doc.2/47

Andy-

"Y'all" is a nongender-specific term refering to a group of people.We use this term primarily because refering to any group containing one or more Southern ladies as "you guys" is considered a suicidal action in these parts.Southern females tend to be VERY female and are deeply insulted at being refered to as a guy.Their only honorable action in such a situation is to beat you severely with their purse. Given the fact that the median weight for a Southern woman's purse is 35lbs.,and that it may contain hard objects such as pistols,iron cookware,and small items of furniture this is no small matter.Insulting two or more Southern women at the same time is not considered a survivable situation.Also the demonstrated inability to distinguish between nice soft curvey females and hairy old guys is considered to carry grave implications concerning the persons' sexual orientation.

I hope this helps clear the matter up.
Old 06-20-2003, 02:25 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Not Y'all

I can't let this continue. If your gona talk Texan at least spell it right, Ya'll come back now heaaar, caus Ima down in the holla leann-in agena tree, Bubba, Shoooot texas is the only place where Sh-ei-i-T is a four cilible word.

Ron
Old 06-20-2003, 08:18 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Wink Ya'll

John,
Close your eyes, clear your mind, now naturally say the words coffee and water. OK, now go back, think of the odor around the home where you grew up, that would be Jersey. God, I can smell the chemicals just thinking about it.
I almost talked with you ( ) for almost two days. Never heard you say ya'll. I notice things like that. Your accent is no more southern than mine. But if you want to bled in, sorry I called you on it.
Doc2/47, thanks for the info, got a good smile, so did my wife. However, I don't use "you guys" when talking to females. I say ladies with a slight bow of the head, freaks them out, some says they like it. Older women, 65+, I call girls, 90% love that. (Do have some understanding of the difference between men and women. I'd say I've "known" my share but no bragging.)
Thanks Ron, I knew someone would correct the spelling error, even if it wasn't caught by the spell check.

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 06-21-2003, 08:05 AM

Hey, at least nobody used the "youse guys" term !! ;-)
Old 06-22-2003, 03:49 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Hey Andy. Grew up across the street from the Ballentine Beer Company where my Dad worked as a machinest. The " Iron Bound " section of Newark. Kinda a German getto. Ist generation section of town . Today ain't a German in sight all first generation Portegeese ( I asked Ron how to spell this )
Old 06-22-2003, 05:09 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Lt

I takes a creative person to figure out more than one way to spell a word. But Im going to only take part of the blame for my spelling, Some of it has to be on the english language, How about spelling words like they sound, Example--- Knife, who the hell decided to put a K at the begining?, On the other hand I did go through the third grade twice, so I should have gotten it.
I do use spell check when it counts though.

Ron
Old 06-22-2003, 06:13 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Smile Oops

I remember you were from Newark, how did I forget your dad worked in a beer factory? Ballentine, maybe that had something to do with it.

Ron don't feel bad at all. While going to college I'd type all my term papers (before computers with spell check were invented), then my wife would sit down with Mr. Webster and re-type them. I remember using the word macabre once. It took her four phone calls before she got the right spelling. Once I wanted to use the phrase, C'est moi L'Etat. Paper was handed in a week late, I had to call a French teacher to get the spelling. Most great thinkers don't waste their time with mundane things like spelling.

Steye Halthy,
Andy