The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-21-2003, 12:27 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Marine From Troy Arrested,...

...I DO NOT KNOW HIM AS THE NAME RINGS A DISTANT BELL, BUT JUSTICE BECONS QUESTIONS TO BE ASKED...

...It seems that a Marine from my home City has been arrested in connection to a death of an Iraqi,...

...I would like to know of anyone knows of "any more" to this incident that can be brought to light,...

...by all means find the truth,...

Troy-- Reservist from Troy is working as lifeguard at base pool, according to his lawyer

By MICHELE MORGAN BOLTON, Staff writer
First published: Tuesday, October 21, 2003

A Marine combat machine-gunner from Troy charged with dereliction of duty and assault in the death of an Iraqi prison camp detainee has been reassigned as a lifeguard at the Camp Pendleton swimming pool.
Lance Cpl. William Scott Roy, 34, is one of eight Marine reservists facing charges in the incident in June at the Camp Whitehorse detention facility in Nasiriyah, Iraq.

A military court will convene in six weeks to hear their cases, in which the charges range from assault to maltreatment. Two face counts of negligent homicide in the beating death of Nagem Sadoon Hatab.

It is unclear why Hatab had been in U.S. custody, although Roy's lawyer, Donald Rehkopf Jr. of Rochester, said the man was not a prisoner of war and probably was not a member of the Iraqi army.

He said the reservists' job was especially difficult because Hatab had not been held with uniformed soldiers, but possibly with mercenaries or members of Saddam Hussein's Fedayeen militia.

"Most uniformed Iraqi soldiers who surrendered did so properly and behaved accordingly," Rehkopf said. "Those people weren't in this camp."

Roy, who has worked as a correction officer at the Rensselaer County jail for two years, is accused of grabbing Hatab "by the neck and face with his hands," on or about June 4, according to documents detailing the charges obtained by the Times Union.

The prisoner died the next day.

Roy also is accused of hitting and kicking other prisoners. He had been at Camp Whitehorse since April.

All eight Marines belong to the 2nd Battalion, 25th Marine Regiment, based in Worcester, Mass. They were taken to Camp Pendleton because the unit running the Nasiriyah POW camp, the 1st Marine Division, is based there.

Roy was charged with one count of cruelty and maltreatment, two counts of dereliction of duty and five counts of assault in Uniform Code of Military Justice charges filed Thursday.

The 1988 Troy High School graduate joined the Marine Corps Reserve in November 2001.

His parents, Dorothy and Bill Roy of Niskayuna, said Monday they preferred not to comment. His wife, Michelle, and son, Cole, who live in Troy, could not be reached for comment.

Roy's attorney, Rehkopf, who is co-chairman of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers' Military Law Committee, said "Scott," as he is known, is doing as relatively well.

"From day one he has denied his guilt, and we are going to contest this case every which way possible," he said. "As far as I'm concerned, it's not an issue of the Marine Corps, per se, but why the Pentagon did not have the proper Army facilities in place to do the job that the Department of Defense says they should be doing."

None of the eight soldiers spoke Arabic, nor were they supplied an interpreter, he said. Nor has a copy of the autopsy report been made available.

"How can it come to be that this small group of Marine reservists got tagged with this very shady operation?" asked Rehkopf, an Air Force veteran who specializes in military cases.

He characterized Roy as a likable man of integrity and good character. So did his boss, Rensselaer County Sheriff Dan Keating, who said last weekend that Roy's work record was spotless.

When Roy and the others were told they were being investigated, they were ordered not to talk to lawyers, Rehkopf said: "He's a Marine ... and he does what he's told. But Scott said it didn't sound right."

Marine documents paint a different picture.

They say Roy should have known what his duties were and that he "willfully failed to properly safeguard the physical health, welfare and treatment of (Hatab), as was his duty to do."

The documents provide few details of Hatab's death. The San Diego Union-Tribune reported, however, that the case is strikingly similar to newspaper reports published in June regarding a 52-year-old Iraqi who was captured May 3 in Tallil.

The reports said the man was moved to a POW camp in Nasiriyah on June 3 and that he had been beaten on June 4 -- the same day that military documents say Hatab was beaten. On June 5, the prisoner reportedly complained of "health problems" and died the next day, the same day as Hatab.

The Naval Criminal Investigative Service launched a probe of the incident regarding the Iraqi. Newspaper reports stated that the criminal investigation was the first involving the death of a prisoner in U.S. custody in Iraq.

"There's an old, old saying that a leopard doesn't change his spots," Rehkopf said. "Scott's 34 years old. He's worked for a long time and been in the community for a long time. He wouldn't have been hired as a sheriff's deputy if there were a question about his integrity." Associated Press contributed to this report.

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2003, 01:05 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default blown back,...

...almost 24 years now,...

...sitting here quite wound up due to the feelings of (sp) anxsiety,...

...almost 24 years ago I was accused of not be stable enough to continue my job in the military due to being a danger to myself, and others, my record was spotless also, but I was still yanked off the line, and discharged from the Service I loved,...

...The pain is even more intense now as the "life" I loved was ripped out from under me as I was not guilty either,...

...Now another "son from Troy" is under accusation and I know the feelings he must be going through,...

...just having flashbacks over all of this, and it's fuckin rough day,...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

Old 10-21-2003, 02:06 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Unhappy

The longer we fight this war, the more incidents will hit close to home.

At home, Vietnam Vets are talking to their children and friends about this war and the children (Ok they're +-30) are asking questions. Surviviors have been told for years that it helps to talk.

I hope you can find your own best way to deal with all the memories. You have value.

Joy

Old 10-22-2003, 06:55 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Service for a friend,..

...Had a rememberence service last night for another "son from Troy" last night"...

...Hundreds gathered for a service for Bill Egan,...

...Bill logged more then 53,000 hours of volunteer work at the Stratton Va. since his discharge from WW II, Bill was a member of Chapter #38 DAV for over 50 years,...

...tough losing such a dedicated member, both on the Va. side, and Chapter,...

...19 of us in proper attire, doning DAV caps were present, while the crowd sat there in awe, many of the younger ones just stared trying to figure out what all the pins, and bars, and medals signified, while others all too well realized what Bill, and his fellow members stood for,...

...A man stood up, and started singing "Amazing Grace" accupella, and sang all 4 verses, and not a dry eye in the place, what range he had,...

...It was one of those "I didn't want to go to things, as I'm not too good at it ", but Honoring a man who gave so much was manditory,...

...His career, and life was displayed with pictures by the thousands, and toward the end, we presented his widow with an American Flag, bestowing her with a gift truly showing what Bill stood for,...

...There will be hundreds of these ceremonies that must be attended to coming soon as so many of our distingushed members are coming of that time,...

...By all accounts, their Honor, and Tradition will be carried on, and the sight of these ceremonies to the distant family members has a chilling effect on them, they try to see military side to things, but their imaginations can't reach that far, but I saw a lot last night from the crowd, many left with a view of "wow", all those men came here to pay tribute to another fallen solider, "what did I miss, why are they so closely bonded to one another after so long",...

...Some will never know, but at least their trying,...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk