The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > World War II

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-29-2004, 02:17 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Marcus -
Not a "violation", just a hitch in the gita-along... easily resolved.

David's a good guy, master webmaster.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2004, 03:17 PM

Thanks for all your helpful leads.

I have found the following on POW camps in Colorado and Nebraska. Colorado: Camp Carson; Camp Hale - 10th Mountain Div. training camp; Ft. Greeley; and Camp Trinidad. Nebraska: Camp Scottsbluff, Scottsbluff, NE (I lived @ Scottsbluff); Ft. Robinson, Crawford, NE; Camp Indianola; and Camp Atlanta, Holdredge, NE. However, I find that many of these camps had branch camps and this may be where Julesburg comes in. I found on the web a listing of the branch camps for Camp Atlanta, and Julesburg was not listed as one. Perhaps Julesburg was a branch camp for one of the Colorado POW camps.

http://www.nebraskaprairie.org/exhib...A/A.intro.html at this web site I found the following info and many interesting little tidbits.

In addition to the camp at Atlanta there were smaller ones maintained at Scottsbluff, Ogallala, Hays Center, Palisade, Benkelman, Indianola, Elwood, Lexington, Bertrand, Alma, Kearney, Franklin, Grand Island, the Cornhusker Ammo Plant, Hastings, Hebron and Weeping Water in Nebraska. Hays and Cawker City, Kansas also hosted branch camps.

Kmetz
Old 01-30-2004, 04:00 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post I have a good family friend.

Who owned a ranch in the Wyoming / Nebraska border. They use to go to the POW camp during the war and pick up prisoners to do farm work. Shortage of American boys. They would treat the Germans like regular hired hands, feed them a noon meal and pay them some small wages. The guys were so grateful they would beg to come out and work on their ranch and other ranches in the area. Mostly they took the younger enlisted men, because they felt they would be easier to handle. They never had any difficult with any of the men. Some of the them immigrated to the USA after the war and sought them out. I don't know exactly where the ranch is located or the prison camp but it would have been close to border of the two states.

My guess there is a web site about American Prisoner of war camps. (there is a web site for almost everything)

Keith

P.S. Just did a little Surfing.

There were camps in Wyoming and Nebraska. It was probably the Douglas, WY. Camp. Mostly Rommel's African Corp prisoners.

Also found out that Oregon, Washington and Calif. had Japanese prisoner of war camps. Mostly in isolated rural areas out West.

There were 175 Camps and 511 Area Camps:
Total Prisoners of War was 425,000 Germans and Japanese made up the most POW's. A few Italians.

Old 02-02-2004, 11:23 AM

The camp your friend went to might have been Camp Douglas, but it also could have been Camp Scottsbluff. It was while I was living in Wyoming that a friend of mine told me about remembering the POW camp at Juelsburg.

Kmetz
Old 02-02-2004, 12:55 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Lightbulb Thanks for jarring my memory.

Bob and Vivian (my fiends),

Were raised near Scotts Bluff, NE. She was from Nebraska, he from WY, I believe Torrence anyway. This is going back 40 years.

Keith
Old 02-02-2004, 07:55 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

I think there was a camp near here(can not remember for the life of me what town) that had Italian POW's. They were hired to work on a church and they did a mighty fine job...lots of carvings.

Wish I remembered hte towns name.....