The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Civil War

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2002, 08:11 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Smile $10,000

If you were given 10,000 dollars on the condition that you had to donate it to a Civil War cause, battlefield, monument, etc., who would you give it to and why? I'll go first. I would give it to the H.L. Hunley, the confederate sub that sunk the Housatonic. The first sub to sink an enemy in combat (EVER) I think is a worthy item to preserve.

Bill D
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2002, 08:26 AM

Default Virginia sites

With the growth of DC and the surrounding areas, I go with the Northern Virginia sites from Harper's Ferry to Fredicksburg.
Old 05-05-2002, 01:53 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default I understand their is lots of encroachment!

I read that gettysburg needed help. also many sites in Northern Virginia. We out west have lots of encroachment on our historical sites. People and the legistlatures don't seem to respect history.

Keith
Old 05-06-2002, 01:12 AM

Default War of Northern Agression

If I were given 10K to donate to the War of Northern Agression I would donate it to Jeff Davis' home in Mississippi.
Think it is a worth while reminder of a great man.
Old 05-06-2002, 05:36 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

I would give it to the great grandson of Pvt. Henry Lawton who fought with Company B , Fourth New Jersey Infantry from Gains Mill to the fall of Petersburg. John Lawton Hager could then buy more stuff for his Harley !
Old 05-06-2002, 01:05 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default War

Oh yes, the Great Rebellion, there are many good causes. I live about 10 miles from the statue of Fighting Joe Hooker. I suppose I'd put the money in an account and do what I could for those in "Hooker's Army". I'd take a personal interest and hand it out myself, a real hands on operation.

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 05-08-2002, 08:31 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Default worthy causes

I am partial to the battles in the west. The battles in the Oklahoma and Arizona Territories are all but forgotten. They never attracted attention like the great battles in the East. Maybe its because they weren't as big as the eastern battles, maybe its because there weren't any big cities nearby like the battles in the east.

Hill Jr. College in Texas is one of the few places that I know of that devotes time and resources to preserving this little bit of history. I would probably give the money to one of their research projects.

chilidog
Old 05-29-2002, 10:18 AM

Thumbs up 10K

As for the $10,000... I would donate it to my local school systems with the condition that they take the children to a civil war site.
Too often the kids see the book pages but not the site and without actually being there a lot of information is lost within the text.
Seeing is believing, and seeing is also understanding.

As a side note: I was at Bull Run and Fredericksburg this past weekend. Great sites!
Old 05-30-2002, 06:35 PM

Default Andy - Hooker's Army -

sign me up for that campaign! Hey! I'm old, not dead.
As for Hooker's real army, $10'000 wouldn't have helped - they needed a general. Imagine, you outnumber the enemy 2+ to 1, you make him split his forces three ways, and then YOU run! My kids want to tick me off, all they have to do is say Hooker.
First time I tried this forum; gotta go check out the rest. Not to be ghoulish, but do any of you people check out the older graves in your local cemetaries? They sometimes get skipped over when the flags are planted on Memorial Day. Local paper discovered a Revoltionary war vet last year.
Old 05-31-2002, 08:10 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Cool Tim

I didn't say nor did I intend anyone to infer that Hooker was a good general. Perhaps the only good general that ever came from this state was Arthur Macarthur (Doug's dad).

As far as cemetaries, ours go back to the 1710s. They would go back further but in the late 1600s the Indians massacred the town and destroyed everything including the grave yard. There is a plaque noting the site of the massacre.

In 1868 our old town hall was built. Attached to it is a large white marble plaque listing the 56 men who were killed during the Civil War. They are listed in 3 catigories: Killed in Action, Died in Uniform, and Andersonville. Only 4 or 5 of the men were returned home and their graves are clearly identified.

We also have plaques dedicated to those who died in the Spanish-American war, WWI, WWII, Korea and Vietnam. The Korean and Vietnam stones were dedicated in May of 1996.

There is one stone that really breaks my heart. It looks like the guy died in 1790, first name not readable, last name Pomeroy. It says, "Father of 16 now father will be with them all". Having one child die before you is tragic to the max, 16 children who die before their dad, inconceivable.

Stay healthy,
Andy