The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > New Members

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-18-2008, 10:04 PM

Default Civilian Reporting for Duty!

Howdy all. I'm a carpetbagger currently living in Florida and I'm suffering from an excess of free time since the economy took a turn for the worse. I've taken to the internet in order to spend some of that free time helping others keep up the faith in their country.

I came across this site while researching some information on the Stolen Valor Act of 2005. The research was for a Blog article concerning a 68 year old man who was charged with violating the act. It's good reading but, I think the punishment is a bit too severe.

I dabble in the graphic arts for a hobby and I plan on creating some quality images with a patriotic theme for folks to use as they see fit. I'm thinking primarily forum signature images and avatar images.

If you've got any ideas you'd like to see digitized, let me know! I'm open to suggestions.

I'm also wondering if there are any strategy war gamers around here. Nothing beats a good recreation of a historical battle wherein the course of history can be changed in but a single evening.

I've been playing Rome: Total War a bit lately and it's a great game I must say.

Anyway... now that I've rambled on for long enough...

Good to meet you all. You seem like a great bunch from what I've read so far while waiting for some registration issues to be corrected.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:41 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

welcome to the site True 2 its a great site.....chris
Old 12-19-2008, 03:13 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Welcome aboard. Not a lot of game kind of things happening here unless David put up some links. It is a bit of an oddity, actually. There is no law that says we have to get along with one another, and probably don’t, but true brass bell of wearing the uniform of service and experience is legacy captured. There is a bond, we may not get along all that well but if push comes to shove, I’ll put on the line to protect kindred souls and their families, no matter what. VN Vets here and not a leper colony; but an absolutely amazing level of contribution, accomplishment , learned knowledge and intellect .

Scamp
Old 12-19-2008, 05:49 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Welcome Aboard !!!

Larry
Old 12-19-2008, 07:28 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Welcome to the site, true. Nice ta meet ya. Jump on in the water's fine.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:41 PM

Wow, thanks for all the welcomes and hellos.

I didn't come here in search of war gamers, it just came as an after thought to the post and I've known a few military men that enjoy war gaming as it is great practice for tactical maneuvering with large numbers of units.

Equally as many military men are into first person shooter games like Call of Duty, ie: games wherein you control a lone member of a squad and can work with other guys to achieve objectives.

Today's military recruits are from the video game generation and, video games can be put to use for actual training and mission briefings.

Imagine that you and your men are getting ready to retake a building from the enemy. With today's technology, one could get the blueprints of the building and have a rough 3d model built digitally in a couple hours.

That model could then be loaded into a video game engine and the squad that was going to be responsible for the mission could spend some time before the mission and actually getting a good feel for the layout of the target building.

Flight simulators are one of the oldest uses of video game related technology that is used to train America's soldiers.

I feel that an American citizen can show his patriotism in more ways than one. Some of us go to war and fight. Some of us stay home and support the cause. Still others take to the world wide web and do what they can to promote freedom around the world.

It's all relative.

Though we don't share a bond of blood lost,
We share the bond of being American Citizens.
Hopefully that counts for something.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:21 AM

Distinctions
VOM 

true2-

I enjoy games and even enjoy some war gaming as long as it is NOT realistic modern era warfare. The big diference between games and reality is that in reality there are no do-overs. No "respawn". No "new game". Whatever happens; happens. And whatever happened can never ever be changed no matter how much we might wish otherwise. Ain't no button you can push to bring back dead friends, missing body parts, or put a town back on the map. I think it's safe to say that most combat vets would prefer to let demons sleep rather than prod them.

Yep, I'm very much in favor of patriotic Americans no matter what their experience.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:42 PM

An inability to separate the fantasy from the reality is generally a factor in psychosis so... I hope folks who play games like Call of Duty aren't all lunatics in the making.

I'm more partial to historical war gaming and have never been much for the first person shooter style. Flight simulators can be fun but never hold my attention for long.

Heck, the United States Army even created a game and distributed with the sole intent of using it for recruiting new soldiers.

It's all part of America's New Army and you've got to admit... it's led to a much reduced percentage of lives lost in the field as a result. Why send a man to do what a remote controlled drone can do more efficiently and without risk of a life being lost.

Take a look around on Google Maps and you'll discover that the government can truly see everything now. Whilst the maps we can view are older images, I'm sure the army maintains its own similar software that is updated daily.

The Art of War has evolved to a state that couldn't have been imagined by ancient man.

Anyone play chess?
Old 01-01-2009, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Distinctions
VOM Staff Contributor 

Welcome to the greatest spot on the web true2' but asking about avitars might be just a bit risky here. A couple of thoughts; for David a wooden mallet, Bern a sledge hammer, Fred a bandaid, Keith a thick black book, Ron an orange light that flashes on and off, Frank a 600 round belt, Bob, a full moon, Larry, a big black pipe, Sid a black pipe with a string at one end and a potatoe, Chris an anchor, Roger a red and white life preserver and Frank a pair of muddy boots.
You'll get to think up a whole bunch more as you get to know who's who here but they're all friends even when they're havin' at each others throat and/or te...- icles.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:03 PM

T2 - welcome aboard - Be advised you'll find that some of these folks have very sharp edges. It's not difficult to find a few who do not play games since the ones we've all played at one time or another - were for real.

Yet - they have a great sense of humor and we are truely blessed to have them returned to us from the line. The ideals that these men and women have on this site - are some of the best I've ever known.

Sister's and Brother's all - they seem to find a way to express the issues in a true light without having to read between the lines. Though we have some expressive and creative personnel onboard that I would put up against many others.

Civi's are welcome - but understand that these folks won't tolerate nor give you a break if they find a weakness. Yet they have compassion for their own and they don't tolerate any negative considerations - unless its theirs - that they've expressed.

We discuss issues both current and from the far past. They are honest and can easily pick off a wise guy or a wanna-bee. Not saying you are.

Have fun on site and once again "welcome aboard".

Scamp my man your words are wisdom and I respect them.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote