The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Veterans > Veterans Concerns

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-25-2020, 02:10 PM

Exclamation Veterans group demands Trump apologise over injuries from Iran missile strike: Report

Veterans group demands Trump apologise over injuries from Iran missile strike: Reports
By: MEE Staff - MiddleEastEye - 01-25-20
Re- https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/v...strike-reports

Earlier this week, Trump said he did not consider potential traumatic brain injuries to be as serious as physical combat wounds, minimising their severity by saying he heard that some troops "had headaches, and a couple of other things, but I would say, and I can report, it's not very serious", CNN cited him as saying.

“In light of today's announcement from the Defense Department that 34 U.S. service members suffered traumatic brain injuries as a result of Iran's retaliatory strike and President Trump's remarks which minimized these troops’ injuries, the Veterans of Foreign Wars cannot stand idle on this matter,” VFW National Commander William Schmitz said in a statement.

“TBI is a serious injury and one that cannot be taken lightly. TBI is known to cause depression, memory loss, severe headaches, dizziness and fatigue - all injuries that come with both short- and long-term effects. The VFW expects an apology from the president to our service men and women for his misguided remarks.”

Washington had initially said the 8 January Iranian attack did not cause any casualties, but late last week the US-led coalition in Iraq said several American soldiers were airlifted to Germany to be treated for "concussion symptoms from the blast".

The Pentagon then said on Friday that 34 service members stationed in Iraq suffered the TBIs after the retaliatory missile strike from Iran in response to the US's killing of Qassem Soleimani, Tehran’s top general.

Half of the service members identified have returned to active duty. The other 17 are under medical observation in Germany and the US, chief Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman told reporters.

“A lot of these symptoms, they are late developing, they manifest over a period of time, people, in some cases, their condition will improve and what we saw is a number of people who were initially screened for concussion-like symptoms ... saw their conditions improve rapidly and then others we saw their conditions didn’t improve. Some got worse and some had severe enough symptoms that they were transported on for further treatment,” Hoffman said.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personal note: I'm on your side guy's I raised hell when I heard his statement. Shell Shock was a bitch in the first two war's. The weapons today are "Mother's" of which do even more damage. I don't blame you for your issues - I stand with you and I'm sure we have many more stateside that will support your complaints.

Get well and keep getting your check up's - internal brain bleeds could still occur if not already. My Uncle's suffered from that in WWII and Korea and guys from Nam as well.

Boats

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2020, 06:27 AM

Arrow Veterans group wants apology after injury remarks about troops by Trump

Veterans group wants apology after injury remarks about troops by Trump
By: ANNE GEARAN | The Washington Post | Published: January 26, 2020
Re: https://www.stripes.com/news/us/vete...trump-1.616352

A major veterans group has called for President Donald Trump to apologize for "misguided" remarks minimizing the severity of traumatic brain injuries suffered by U.S. forces in an Iranian air attack earlier this month.

The Veterans of Foreign Wars, the oldest major U.S. veterans group, appears to be the first large veterans organization to publicly chastise the president for dismissing the injuries as "headaches" and "not very serious."

Trump "minimized these troops' injuries," VFW National Commander-in-Chief William "Doc" Schmitz said in a statement Friday, after a Pentagon announcement that the number of injured troops had risen to 34.

"The VFW expects an apology from the president to our servicemen and women for his misguided remarks," Schmitz said, adding that the White House should join with the organization to educate Americans about a serious injury that can cause depression, memory loss and other debilitating conditions.

The uproar marks the latest round of controversy over the Trump administration's handling of the Jan. 8 ballistic missile attack on a military base in Iraq that houses American counterterrorism forces, which Trump initially claimed had resulted in no U.S. casualties. The dispute also follows a report in "A Very Stable Genius," a book by two Washington Post reporters, documenting how Trump berated top military and diplomatic officials in 2017 as "dopes and babies" who did not know how to win wars.

Eleven missiles hit al-Asad air base west of Baghdad, leaving wreckage and deep craters at a facility where more than 1,000 U.S. service members were stationed along with Iraqi forces. At least one of the missiles at al-Asad struck just yards from a bunker with a service member in it, the military has said. Another missile landed outside the northern city of Irbil, with less damage.

"I heard that they had headaches, and a couple of other things. But I would say, and I can report it is not very serious. Not very serious," Trump told reporters last week in Davos, Switzerland.

Asked whether he considered traumatic brain injury to be serious, the president said no.

"I don't consider them very serious injuries, relative to other injuries that I've seen," he said. "I've seen what Iran has done with their roadside bombs to our troops. I've seen people with no legs and with no arms. I've seen people that were horribly, horribly injured in that area, that war," Trump said, adding that some of those injuries were caused by weapons supplied by Iran.

Jeremy Butler, chief executive of the Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, said traumatic brain injury is "the signature injury coming out of" those two conflicts.

"We were definitely troubled and disappointed to read and hear about the president's comments. I think an apology is the first step that's needed here," Butler said in an interview Saturday.

As commander in chief, Trump should use the case of the troops wounded in Iraq as a way to publicly discuss wartime brain injuries "so that all members of the military understand the importance of these injuries and seek out treatment," Butler said.

The Pentagon has worked for more than a decade to highlight the insidious effect of traumatic brain injury, which can occur when troops are close to explosive blasts.

Troops are urged not to ignore or minimize symptoms that may indicate brain injury and encouraged to reject the old "shake it off" mentality that minimized the importance of anything but obvious external injury.

The Pentagon established an office to track the injuries and promote awareness of them among active-duty personnel and veterans, and it says about 413,000 service members have been diagnosed with traumatic brain injury since the first diagnosis in 2000.

On Friday, Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman said 34 military personnel had been diagnosed with traumatic brain injury after the missile strikes, which were in retaliation for the U.S. targeted killing of a senior Iranian military commander. The injuries were not apparent immediately, the Pentagon has said in explaining Trump's initial statement of no casualties.

The direct military attacks brought the United States and Iran close to the brink of war, despite Trump's frequent pledges to keep the United States out of Middle Eastern conflicts.

U.S. officials had cited the lack of U.S. deaths or injuries from the Iranian missile attacks as a major factor in Trump's decision not to counter with further military action. Both nations have stepped back, and tensions appear to have subsided.

Hoffman told reporters that 17 of the diagnosed troops had returned to duty in Iraq, while eight who had been taken to Germany had since come to the United States for treatment. Nine remained in Germany.

Pentagon officials have said there was no attempt to minimize or conceal the injuries and that brain injures can take time to manifest and be diagnosed.

Hoffman said Defense Secretary Mark Esper had directed the Pentagon to review the process for tracking and reporting all injuries.

The White House declined to comment in response to questions about the VFW statement.

Trump addressed the organization's annual convention in 2018, telling veterans that "you are the universal symbol of the patriotic pride that beats loudly in every single American heart."

His campaign-style address included insults about Democrats and the news media, and Trump encouraged the audience to join in. That prompted a rebuke of members from the nonpartisan organization's leadership.

Veterans are an important political constituency for Trump, who portrays himself as a steadfast friend of the military and an advocate for veterans.

A Pew Research Center survey of veterans in May found that 57 percent approved of how Trump has handled his duties as commander in chief of the military, and 41 percent disapproved. Among the public overall, 57 percent disapproved and 41 percent approved of his performance related to the military.

Forty-eight percent of veterans said the Trump administration's policies have made the military stronger; 23 percent said his administration has made the military weaker. But nearly half - 45 percent - said the president doesn't pay enough attention to military leaders in making national security decisions.

Democratic presidential candidates have questioned Trump's avoidance of military service in Vietnam and suggested that his focus on the armed forces and veterans is insincere. Trump received four student deferments and one medical deferment related to bone spurs, but said last year that he would have been "honored" to serve in the conflict.

"This is somebody who — I think it's fairly obvious to most of us — took advantage of the fact that he was a child of a multimillionaire in order to pretend to be disabled so that somebody could go to war in his place," then-South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg, a Democrat, said during a Washington Post Live event in May.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personal note: Ever see a Change of Command in Port? Back in 65 a ship in the next dock alongside us underwent a change of command. The ship fired off 5"50's blanks. While on deck we stood at attention while the ceremony way on the ship next to us underwent the change of command. Each time they fired off the 5"50's the concussion was such that it would blow your hat's off and ruffle your clothing like high wind hits. Your head would buzz and ears ringing for quite sometime afterwards. But imagine a rocket hitting around you let's say 100 yards away! Most likely more powerful than our 5"50's going off. If it landed the same distance away I would assume it would knock you to the ground and your ears would ring for day's. WWI and II and Korea and Viet Nam all those large shells and rockets hitting on or near you. Remember how full the hospitals were back then from shell shock!

Trump has no idea what men in the service go through nor will he ever.

Boats

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote