The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-23-2004, 08:40 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Awhile back

someone here asked that we send a card to a VN Huey pilot that became sick and hospitalised. I did, and I asked him what unit he was in and when was he there, he replied.

"I flew with the 125th Aviation Support Company, and 7th of the First Cav Company.I was part of the invasion from Khe Sanh into Laos. "

Does this responce seem ok to everyone??????

Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2004, 09:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to Bill Farnie
Distinctions
VOM 

Not sure Ron

There was no 125th Aviation Support Company that I can find although there was a 125th Transportation Company down around Saigon. There was/is a 125th AHC and they were down around Bien Hoa.
The 1st Cav did fight at Khe Sanh but never went into Laos during that time and in 1969 my unit of the 101st replaced them in I Corp at Camp Evans and they went to Phouc Vinh then. In 1970 the 1st Cav did go into Cambodia.

Don't know what to tell you but to me it doesn't sound Kosher.

But sometimes you have to give people some slack due to bad memories.

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 10:05 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

It was me that asked. But this fellow wasn't the one to ask for people to write.

I am sorry if there is second guessing about what he says.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:59 AM

Distinctions
VOM 

Melody,
No need to apologize but the info that Ron posted doesn't add up, to me. The 1st Cavalry was a division not a company although there was/is a 7th Cavalry Regiment that's a unit of the 1st Cav Division. In 1971 the air assets of the 1st Cav Division along with many other air units did participate in Lamson 719 the South Vietnamese Army's incursion into Laos but I do not see the Khe Sanh connection since the Marines abandoned it in 1968. There were Firebases from time to time in the area where Khe Sanh was but the KSCB didn't exist. Like I said, memories sometimes play tricks on us. I was involved in a big battle in 1969 and I'll be damned if I can remember it. The only reason I know I was there is that others from my old unit tell me I was, along with what I did and tidbits of what I said to them during and after.
I think the Lt. operated in that area. Maybe he can give his input when he stops partying on Psyco Mt.

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee
Old 04-23-2004, 02:47 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Melody....

Not sure whom said what? But one thing's for certain is that info given by Bill Farnie regarding The First Air Mobile Cav DIVISION and their lead elements being Squadrons of The 7th Cavalry Regiment, is quite accurate. The HHT 1/7 CAV SQDN ("First of The Seventh") or: "DESPARADOS"(mispelled on patch) and my alma mater acquited themselves quite bravely at: LZ Xray, Khe Sahn and elsewhere.

There not being such as: "7th of the the First Cav Company" anywhere in The Army aside, words like: "I was part of THE INVASION from Khe Sanh into Laos",...seems more than a little hinky, kinky and pinky to me.

GarryOwen-to-yuh,
Neil
Old 04-23-2004, 06:02 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Just a note to this whole thing. I don't know if it would affect his memory or not but he did have a pretty bad stroke. The friend who let me know about him has found out some things....I will have to go and find the post someone made about his unit.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:14 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Some one siad he was from the 7/1 Air Cav and that he was there from Nov 70 to Sep 72. This man also said that it was one of his old units. Also that he is a pilot. Dunno...
Old 04-23-2004, 06:50 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Melody,
Fair enough. The years he was there would put him in the supporting role of the ARVN's who went into Laos during Lamson 719 so from that and what you said about the stroke I'm thinking that he's the real deal.

Bill (the guy with a bad case of CRS)

Old 04-24-2004, 04:50 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Mel

I was happy to send this guy a card, After all, I road a lot of miles in the back of those hueys and a card seemed a small thing.
I never said he wasn't the real deal and maybe he is, his responce to me is what I quoted didn't seem like the real thing. But I never had a stroke either.
He also said he would send me a letter explaining in more detail, I will post it.
What struck me funny was his use of the word Company, Now I don't know much about the Cav except we worked with the 1/10 (I think) around Hue and south, and they didn't call there companies-companies, they called them troops (I think) . Any way Thats why I posted it.
The questions I asked him were, When were you there? and what was your address. His responce was what I quoted.
I give the guy the benifit of the dought and when he sends me a letter I'll post it, Thank You for letting me send him a card.

Ron