The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-26-2004, 06:32 PM

Default leaders

Hello all,
Nice to be able to touch base with the above ground world.(been in those silos a lil to long time for some crew rest) I was just wondering strictly opinion...what is your definition of a leader and an example of one? I guess since i brought it up i should go first I believe a leader is someone who does not ask anything of anyone that they would not or have not done themselves, someone who is brave when they have to be and alert always, someone who would stick there neck out for a friend(troop friend whatever doesn't have to be military). And finally someone who always has others best interest first because a true leader is a server of his friends. My example would be Deke Slayton he was one of the original mercury 7 astronauts who was grounded (well until apoloo soyuz) he could have bailed on the program but decided to stick it through and support his friends for 20 plus years. Just thought i would throw him up cause reading his book I truly believe he is overlooked a lot when ever someone mentions the great names in the space program.

Greg
p.s. I need prayers cause im gonna ask my girlfriends father if i can marry his daughter this week.*eep*
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2004, 06:40 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

Good luck with your future father in law. My outlook on a leader is one that is fair. someone who can see right from wrong. and someone who is not afraid to face hard decisions. Try Ollie North
Old 04-27-2004, 06:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

Wow, you've asked a tough question. If I was still in the Navy I could point out a lot of leaders to you. I always felt I was one. I stood behind my people, wouldn't ask anything I wouldn't do or had not done. I went to art. 15's with guys to help plead their case if I felt it was needed. I'd pick up guys from my ship and take them home if they had to much to drink while on the beach, I was only a phone call away for anyone in my Division. Bailed a guy or two out of the Portsmouth Police Station. Yeah, I was father, nurse maid, and sounding post when needed.
Had a few ABHC's who get down and dirty right along side of us. Had a few zero's who lend a hand right beside an enlisted man, these were LCDR's some of them! Had a LT who was in arresting gear, half the time he was covered in grease from helping out. Saw some snipe zero's who also stood side by side helping out. The fuel's Bosun who went over the side to fix a leak in the old av gas plumbing, while we were under way!
Not to mention fire drills, aircraft crash drills, every one would lend a hand and the man in charge was given all due respect.
Yeah, the military is full of leaders, some good, some bad, and some excellent. I was lucky enough to work with excellent ones.

Civ-lant in the world of the sand crab is a whole nother story. Don't think almost 20 years of being a Corrections Officer, I had many leaders. Oh, their are some who can bark orders, point to the rank ensignia and say do it. Back you up? Do something they are now "ordering" you to do, hardly. Leadership is worthless when who you know is more important than what you know. What a disapointment most of these people are.

As far as outside the Navy, Ronald Reagan tops my list. Count Zeppelin and Dr. Eckener for the Dream of Air Ships and the contribution they made to aviation. Cal Ripken for showing up everyday and never giving up.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
Old 04-27-2004, 06:35 AM

If he/she does what he/she wants you to do and he/she goes where he/she sends you and you complete your mission without mishap then I say you have a leader.

It's brief but that how I feel.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 05-04-2004, 04:47 PM

Like most of you here, I have worked for many good and honest leaders. The interesting thing to me is this: It seemed that these people were as different from one another as they could be, used vastly different techniques in leading, all effective. The things that they all seemed to possess was their honesty, fairness and a genuine concern for their men. Military or Civ, I'll support that.

Thanks for listening
Old 05-04-2004, 05:35 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Leaders

Depends on a time frame. And how dangerous the time is.
A leader in a non-dangerous time should have very different leadership skills than a leader in a very dangerous time.
Some times its ok to have a group dission and a good leader should let a group decide. Sometimes a leader may want to do a task first, just to say he wouldn't tell anyone to do something he hasn't done. and sometimes a leader has to tell someone to do something that the leader would not do, but its for the good of the whole.
A good leader has to know which time he is leading in and not be afraid to act accordingly.
And lastly,,,,, Tell the truth.

Ron
Old 05-04-2004, 08:04 PM

I agree with Ron,
Sometimes a Leader has to take the hard stand and make the tough choice to send someone into a dangerous situation because it means that lives and mission are at stake.

A leader is like a good parent. They can't always be your bestest buddy, but they always care.

DL
A good leader...Ronald Regan.
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan