The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2004, 04:52 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

When I was discharged in '72, I tried to join the American Legion in my home town but was rejected because their membership rolls were too full. I tried to join the VFW but was rejected because I hadn't served in Viet Nam. In '76 I tried again to join the American Legion but was told that they weren't accepting any 'Nam era vets. I can only assume that decision came as a result of the pro-left media influences in this country.

For many years after that, I rarely mentioned my service to anyone. Once I got online, I found several "veterans" sites only to find them lacking in crediblility and, like Katelyn said, quite a few were neo-nazis and/or extreme right-wing militias.

I did join the History Channel veteran's forum then, as I recall, it was Beau who mentioned I should check out patriotfiles. At first I was very reluctent to join in since most of the members are "in-country" 'Nam vets and I thought I would be rejected as a "very-far-in-the-REMF". I quickly realized how wrong I was and stepped out into the sunshine of brother and sister vets who accepted me for that reason; that I was amongst the many who served behind the harsh screen of battle, but did my part.

Thanks; to all of you!

By the way; I have passed on the message of patriotfiles whenever I run into a vet. Might as well spread the word.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:20 PM

I live <.+.> in the DFW area. I came back here after twentythree years, because my dad bought and sold rent houses. My brother (God bless his heart) is useless. When, my dad died, he left me 15 rent houses. I taught junior college, worked the post office, got bitten by a dog, and retired. I walk alot now, and drink way too many beers. I am glad I found Patriot Files.

bb
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 07:12 PM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default I am not that good with words but

This site means finding a reason to live on and maybe help another vet. I have never had many friends since VN, only one real close (DMZ-LT) and a couple more. I now have a true band of brothers. Thru this site I met a combat medic that saved my life in 1969, I was unconcious and never knew who it was until a psycovets campout on lake Lanier a few years ago. I have met people in cyber and in person that are the finest on earth. I have endured the passing of a brother in arms and am proud to say that I met him and knew him. There are not enough words, besides one of those sudden sandstorms just blew in.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:08 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Thru this website I have met some of the finest people on earth, many who have had experiences like mine, and after Sid's campout...friends who I now know and love, and are not just names on a computer. Thanks.

Larry
Old 05-06-2004, 01:44 PM

Since I have only been here a few days, the total effect is not near for me as it has been for most of you. I do miss my military life and it was a hard 20+ years, but like Brass Balls, it is hard to just walk away and forget it. For a time I spent much time on News Groups dedicated to military and retired military but here in Mexico I can not get hooked up to any Groups so PF has deffinetly filled two voids for me. On the down side I have to tell you this. I came home from a hard day on the water putting chain through the bottom of a net to hold it to the bottom. Stood in a leaking fishing boat for over 4 hours and my boots having about 4 times the number of holes they came with, filled up with that stinking water. Now a normal man would have gone straight to the shower, but no, I came here first to get my fix.

BTW, I have heard all this talk of: If you dont jump out of planes you ain't a vet, or load up 40 lbs of ammo and go hunting every day, you ain't a vet, but let me suggest something. I look back over my whole carrer and the people I seem to remember the most were my supply and mess Sgts. Why is that?

If you took the call, stepped up to the plate and did what they asked of you, you are as much a vet as any making that claim. And I for one thank each and every one of you.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:47 PM

One more thing, I am now in the shower, cause man, even my dogs won't come near me. I do truly stink.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:10 PM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Chief Hawk...the line you posted about "you are not a vet" strikes me as funny.

I was not given the opportunity to serve my whole twenty or have I been around as long as most of you, my experiences with people making the claims you mentioned has always been with wannabes. The guys for whatever reason never served a day in their life or that were sitting behind their desk "drafting" AAR's.

Like you stated, one of my favorite guys that I served with was Joe Gordon, mess sgt. Made the best damn bread pudding I have ever had!

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 05-06-2004, 05:27 PM

One more thing, I am now in the shower, cause man, even my dogs won't come near me. I do truly stink.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:54 PM

Just being able to communicate with people from all branches of the military is a great learning experience. I have discovered folks who were in the samae companies, but different platoons or squads. Great debates among us all. Esprit de Corps.
Old 05-06-2004, 06:17 PM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Never let it be said

That I disagreed with a CW4. BUT I been around awhile and I have never heard anything about if you didn't jump or you didn't hump ammo you wern't a vet. Had a CW4 intelligence officer in VN that jumped at Normandy and Market Garden in WWII. Welcome to the site Mr Hawk.