Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-27-2006, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default Bush family gathering in Maine attracts war protesters

The Associated Press

KENNEBUNKPORT, Maine - President Bush came to his parent's century-old summer home on the Maine coast for a little relaxation, a distant cousin's wedding and some family time. He got all that, along with a boisterous reminder nearly on his bucolic doorstep of the unpopularity of his Iraq policies.

What local police estimated were about 700 anti-war demonstrators marched Saturday to within half a mile of the Bush compound before being turned back at a security checkpoint. Called Walker's Point after the family of former President Bush's mother, the stone-and-shingle retreat covering a craggy promontory is owned by the current president's parents.

The protesters sang, chanted, beat drums, waved signs and even played fiddles to call on Bush to bring troops home.

"Bush is fiddling while the world burns, just as Nero fiddled while Rome burned," said Pippa Stanley, 15, of Richmond, Maine, who was helping with the backdrop for pair of fiddlers dressed in togas.

The group was loosely aligned with activist Cindy Sheehan, the mother of a soldier who died in Iraq who gained international attention when she shadowed Bush last summer while he vacationed at his ranch in Crawford, Texas.

An Associated Press-Ipsos poll this month found that only about one-third of Americans support Bush's handling of Iraq.

A spokeswoman for Bush said he wasn't bothered by the demonstration that briefly took over the tiny, scenic downtown of Kennebunkport.

"As the president has said, Americans are free to protest," said White House deputy press secretary Dana Perino.

The president drawn to his first visit to the family's retreat in two years by the wedding of Walker Stapleton.

He is the son of the former president's cousin, Dorothy Walker Stapleton, and Craig Roberts Stapleton, the U.S. ambassador to France who was a partner with George W. Bush in the Texas Rangers baseball team. Stapleton married Jenna Bertocchi Saturday before about 300 friends and family at St. Ann's Episcopal Church, a stone chapel overlooking the sea.

Others in the Bush family also were attending a memorial service for Grace Walker, the groom's grandmother, and the christening of a baby from the Walkers' side over the weekend.

The president was returning to Washington, D.C., today before a week of traveling. He is marking the one-year anniversary of Hurricane Katrina with a visit to the Gulf Coast; raising money for Republicans in Arkansas, Tennessee and Utah; and addressing the American Legion convention in Salt Lake City.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2006, 08:33 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

This isn't news It only was news because the API says its news.
They were 1/2 mile away, They can protest all they want as ong as no laws were broke.
I would think less of the President of the United States, no matter what party, Changing there policies based on some demonstration .
What the President should have done is hire the Hells Angels and had them go out and kick all 700 of there ass's.

Ron
Old 08-27-2006, 05:09 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

When someone is named "Pippa Stanley" and not only carries that handle but is 15, it's real hard to take it seriously.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 08-27-2006, 09:22 PM

Distinctions
Staff 

I must say that I like the idea of the Hell's Angels and as for the 15 year old, where the heck are his parents? Oh wait, with his name, they were probably chanting along with him. Honestly, even if you disagree with the war, why can't you have enough decency to allow the president (who still has to work during vacations) to at least try and enjoy his time away from DC and relax. If I was the Pres., I wouldn't even call up the Secret Service, I would just go out there (not a criticism) and deal with the punks myself as if they were just rowdy people disturbing my home in a typical neighborhood. Maybe I would turn a garden hose or dogs on them. You come around my property and disturb me like that when you are not invited and I would kick your @$$.

President Ronald Reagan (1911-2004)

Civil War History
Military History Blog
Frontier Battles
5th Minnesota Infantry, Company D

Old 08-28-2006, 03:18 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

The terrorists have grabbed Bill Clinton, John Kerry, and George Bush.

They are going to execute each one of them, via firing squad.

Bill Clinton is placed against the wall and just before the order to shoot him is given, he yells, "Earthquake!". The firing squad falls into a panic and Bill jumps over the wall and escapes in the confusion.

John Kerry is the second one placed against the wall. The squad is reassembled and John ponders what his old pal Bill has done. Before the order to shoot is given, John yells, "Tornado!". Again the squad falls apart and Kerry slips over the wall thus making his escape.

The last person, George W. Bush, is placed against the wall.
He is thinking, "I see the pattern here, just scream out a disaster and hop over the wall"

As the firing squad is reassembled and the rifles raised in his direction, he smirks his famous smirk and yells, "Fire!"